Harley Freewheeler Trike Owners Thread

I am waiting on feedback on how it does in the rain with the short front fender and the bobtailed rears...The Freewheeler does have the cool factor going for it...I can see it with a crash bar and lowers...

I'm NOT a Freewheeler owner . . . . yet.

My comments are an extension of the thread "2015 Freewheeler..... Am I the first???" of 9/03/2014. I'm currently selling my Lehman Raider trike on craigslist.org, and plan to buy a Freewheeler -OR- a BRP F3 this winter.

As we all know, the Freewheeler is out and at dealerships now, while in my market area (Philadelphia, PA) Spyder F3's will be available to test ride in mid-November.

I expect to test ride a Freewheeler at York PA Harley Davidson Open House 9/18~20, or one of the many local H-D dealerships on Saturday, 9/27 (I have 5 to chose from in this area) I'm also anxiously waiting for rider reports on the few Freewheelers in-the-wild (like Screwball :wave4:)

Then I have to wait until mid-November for an F3 test ride. It'll be like waiting for Christmas :D to arrive.

I'm not going to be able to offer much advice and council on riding in the rain, I live on the Southern California desert, we average 6" of rain a year. Most of our riding is in the South-West (California, Arizona, Nevada and Utah) We have been caught in thunder showers, but rarely. The Freewheeler feels and rides like my old '03 Dyna Wideglide, or wife's '09 Deluxe. You won't get any more front wheel spray than you get on a Sportie, Dyna, or FX Softail. I'm sure there will be rear will rooster tails with the flaired fenders, but who cares, you are in front of the flair.

It handles better than my old '09 Tri-Glide, and my wife's '11 Tri. Clutch pull is easier. I like the 10" mini Apes, but I had them on my Dyna and Sportie. No comment on the seat until the riders backrest comes in. My butt feels fine, back hurts, but again, no backrest at this time.

I covered the dash with VELCRO and have a GPS, MP-3, and radio that I can stick to it for toons.

All are Bluetooth, as are my SMH-10 intercoms, so I have tunes up the wazoo.

I always preferred ear buds or headsets to speakers, I can listen to my music loud enough to make my eyes bleed, and not bother the guy next to me.

The scoot has plenty of power (for me) so I won't be adding any performance stuff. Muffler tips are slash cut (down) and don't scrape my steep driveway so no lift kits. Besides, Harley lowered the trike an inch, seems wrong to fool with that. Too soon to tell if I'm burning too lean, will check the plugs after a couple more tanks of gas. I run premium, there isn't any ethanol sold out here, Cal Air Resources Board says that is a no-no. We have the Grandchildren this weekend, so no long rides planned. More to come.

I'm not going to be able to offer much advice and council on riding in the rain, I live on the Southern California desert, we average 6" of rain a year. Most of our riding is in the South-West (California, Arizona, Nevada and Utah) We have been caught in thunder showers, but rarely. The Freewheeler feels and rides like my old '03 Dyna Wideglide, or wife's '09 Deluxe. You won't get any more front wheel spray than you get on a Sportie, Dyna, or FX Softail. I'm sure there will be rear will rooster tails with the flaired fenders, but who cares, you are in front of the flair.

It handles better than my old '09 Tri-Glide, and my wife's '11 Tri. Clutch pull is easier. I like the 10" mini Apes, but I had them on my Dyna and Sportie. No comment on the seat until the riders backrest comes in. My butt feels fine, back hurts, but again, no backrest at this time.

I covered the dash with VELCRO and have a GPS, MP-3, and radio that I can stick to it for toons.

All are Bluetooth, as are my SMH-10 intercoms, so I have tunes up the wazoo.

I always preferred ear buds or headsets to speakers, I can listen to my music loud enough to make my eyes bleed, and not bother the guy next to me.

The scoot has plenty of power (for me) so I won't be adding any performance stuff. Muffler tips are slash cut (down) and don't scrape my steep driveway so no lift kits. Besides, Harley lowered the trike an inch, seems wrong to fool with that. Too soon to tell if I'm burning too lean, will check the plugs after a couple more tanks of gas. I run premium, there isn't any ethanol sold out here, Cal Air Resources Board says that is a no-no. We have the Grandchildren this weekend, so no long rides planned. More to come.

I'm likening it more and more Steve. Thanks for the feedback

Something to consider if anyone is thinking of changing the mufflers on the Freewheeler, The original muffs are 3" shorter than standard Touring slip-ons . I doubt there is much of a choice out there as yet.
They match the 3" shorter trunk.

I'm likening it more and more Steve. Thanks for the feedback

When I first saw pictures I got to thinking. We do 2 or 3 long trips a year, the rest of the time it is short hops (100 miles) day runs, dinner runs, bar hopping. Of all the Harleys we have owned, our best times were on my Dyna and her Deluxe. No frills scooters. I still have the take off windshield from her Deluxe that has never been used. We have traveled all over the south-west with our 'stuff' bungeed to the back seat. Been out 3 weeks and had a great time. I'm wiring a power plug for my electric jacket for winter, and 4 USB plugs for camera, GPS, and MP-3 players, I HATE to have batteries go dead half way between here and there, also running a USB into the trunk to keep stuff charged when not in use. Other than that I'm leaving the 'Wheeler alone.

When I first saw pictures I got to thinking. We do 2 or 3 long trips a year, the rest of the time it is short hops (100 miles) day runs, dinner runs, bar hopping. Of all the Harleys we have owned, our best times were on my Dyna and her Deluxe. No frills scooters. I still have the take off windshield from her Deluxe that has never been used. We have traveled all over the south-west with our 'stuff' bungeed to the back seat. Been out 3 weeks and had a great time. I'm wiring a power plug for my electric jacket for winter, and 4 USB plugs for camera, GPS, and MP-3 players, I HATE to have batteries go dead half way between here and there, also running a USB into the trunk to keep stuff charged when not in use. Other than that I'm leaving the 'Wheeler alone.

Thanks for the help with comments man,, Brand new to this site.. I have 2013 ann tri.

it was ok but even after several thou dollars of mods it kust didnt scream me,, seen the freewheeler and had to have it,, so we ordered 2 of them.. im 6ft 2 with knee replacements.. will i like it man
\

Great idea. I never thought of multiple usb jacks.

I feel the same way about the use of the Freewheeler. I don't go on long hauls usually so this trike would be perfect for medium and short rides and maybe a long one every now and then.

Some pictures. I will be installing the GoPro camera mount when it gets in, along with the wiring for the MP-3 player, and GPS. Wife and I have SMH-10 Bluetooth intercoms, so the helmets are wireless to the MP-3 players.

Im really curious, How do you like it so far?
Does it have ant outstanding characteristics?
It looks pretty sharp. old school and reminds me of my miss-spent youth.

I guess my questions have been answered. Thanks for you posts.

Just finished the wiring. Installed the HD Cigarette Lighter socket to the Aux cord under the left side cover. NOTE: on 2014 and up you need an adapter cord! Plugged in a USB power converter and a 4 way bridge. Ran a female extension to the trunk, and micro USB plugs to the dash and handle bars. Now I can run my MP-3 player all day without killing the internal battery, and ditto my GoPro camera.

I'm using a deactivated Samsung Galaxy II cell phone Velcro'd to the dash as an MP-3 player, GPS, and remote monitor and controller for the GoPro, so the power cord is kind of necessary as I keep the screen on all the time.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PERuss

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PERuss
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png