Winter Riding Gear

trikermutha

Oct 13, 2010
USA
For those of you that ride in cooler weather lets say down to 45-50 degree riding.

What type of riding gear do you use to keep warm at Hwy speeds?

jacket - http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/firstgear-kilimanjaro-jacket Super warm and removable liner. Worn it when it was down in the 20's with the liner and without the liner almost 90.

pants - insulated jeans work well for me

the biggest thing I've found to knock the wind off is Baker Air Wings and going with an F4 Windshield that was wider and taller than stock

Baker Wings are great for cold weather, hot weather and when it's raining. They may not look so great but once you use them, you'll never have a bike without them. Your passenger will thank you as well. ThumbUp

My personal best is -3'F. Layers, layers, layers. Usually, sweatshirt, thinner ski jacket and leather jacket. For gloves, either fingered with some kind of mittons cover and full helmet or half helmet with goggles and bandana over face. Chaps or leather pants. I have also put a layer of duct tape inside chaps for long distance.
So to answer your actual question. In 45-50'F temps, probably shorts and flipflops. That's a heatwave for me.

For those of you that ride in cooler weather lets say down to 45-50 degree riding.

What type of riding gear do you use to keep warm at Hwy speeds?

Olympia AST Jacket and Ranger pants over LD comfort tights & shirt. Either AST liner or light sweater under jacket. Scarf around neck; Shoei Neotech helmet, midweight Olympia lined gloves & BMW Allroad boots over a pair of merino wool socks.. Ride in comfort all day in the temps you've mentioned.

Thanks All!!

I was wondering what we all wear on cold day rides..

My normal preference is a good heavy leather jacket and a good shirt.Good Gloves and found the heated grips do wonders on the new Can AM.. :pepper:

I am experimenting with Bib overalls that I do not have to fight with to put on those colder night rides.

I like to wear a neck gator or leather neck protector with a good knit hat..MAy try the helmet thing sooner or later.. :D

I ri8de all winter in Chicago. It's all electrics now. I started with just the gloves and worked my way up to the jacket liner and then last year the pants liner.
In addition to the heated gear I wear a fur hat with ear flaps (nothing's warmer then that), and a balaklava over my head and face. That's it.

I use to wear a real nice leather like pilot cap that was warm but cant figure out where I put the dam thing..

May try the fur hat with flaps too..:D

Yes just got a electric vest and seeing how that works under the leather too also using the battery pack for now..

I ride all winter, Couldn't do it with out my Leather jacket and my heated jacket underneath it, Heavy gloves ,booths, lined jeans And a full face helmet..
Last winter I had to ride 80 miles at under 10 degrees f, and later that day 80 back at around 15/20 degrees f. Gotta tell you weren't many bikes on the road that day...

I use to wear a real nice leather like pilot cap that was warm but cant figure out where I put the dam thing..

May try the fur hat with flaps too..:D

Yes just got a electric vest and seeing how that works under the leather too also using the battery pack for now..

Just tried the electric vest with my leather jacket and seems that combo works good..The heated grips still amaze me keeping my hands warm..

One of the things when riding in cold weather to keep in mind is the wind. Out here in the suburbs of Chicago you dont get much until you get away from the city with the open area. So you have to dress for worst temp scenario. When I get out in the mid 30s I usually have a long textile jacket with heated long sleeve liner and gloves. Jeans ,long johns and Colorado chaps on the legs along with my Sidi riding boots. Also I wear a neck cover up to my nose and up the back of my helmet. Ive had plenty of those days with the wind running perpendicular to the bike. And when that happens you better have dressed warmly.

One of the things when riding in cold weather to keep in mind is the wind. Out here in the suburbs of Chicago you dont get much until you get away from the city with the open area. So you have to dress for worst temp scenario. When I get out in the mid 30s I usually have a long textile jacket with heated long sleeve liner and gloves. Jeans ,long johns and Colorado chaps on the legs along with my Sidi riding boots. Also I wear a neck cover up to my nose and up the back of my helmet. Ive had plenty of those days with the wind running perpendicular to the bike. And when that happens you better have dressed warmly.

Yeah I agree the wind will kill a ride fast..:D I notice like you said in open areas the wind can be challenging I noticed it more past Bolingbrook on 55/80 area, more on 80 in the open farm areas..

Gerbing Heated gear is the only way to go. You can adjust the temperature setting to any thing you need by just turning the dial. From zero to 120 degrees. All you need is a good wing breaker to keep the heat in. Of course you have to wire the bike to connect the gear but you get a wire harness with each piece of clothing you buy. Jacket liner, gloves, pants liner , even socks. The clothing is not cheap but once you try it you will wonder how you ever lived without it. If you start with a Jacket liner suggest you get the dual controller right away because you will be adding another piece soon after.

One thing we added a couple of years ago for our heated gear was wireless dual controllers. You only need 1 power wire for all your gear and you can put your controller anywhere you want being wireless. The missus wears hers around her neck and I put mine on top of the CB controls for ease. We purchased Powerlet brand which is compatible with gerbings gear.

Have to get the new spyder wired up for the heated gear this winter. Like to try the wireless controller .

The gerbing vest worked well last weekend and had it set at about half on the battery pack. This is how I am using the garbing heated vest for now.:D

It does not get as cold as it does for some of you....16 is about as cold as I have ridden here in many years. Anyway, I bought a rechargable battery heated Gerbing jacket ($140)....adjustable heat....I put it on low and a heavy jacket and I am fine, along with heated grips. Another reason I like this jacket is I can wear it outside when doing tractor/yard work out in the back 40....it is light but warm....high heat is too hot...

Oh, yes, the battery will last 7-8 hours or more on low and extra batteries are the answer for longer rides.

16 degrees..I would only do that for 10 minutes tops and that would be with the heated gear on and leathers..:D

Were you talking Chicago cold or California cold:laugh: For serious winter in the mountains & rides to Canada have used & swear by my Gerbing jacket liner under a BMW Motorad Jacket including boot liners. Heated bars & Baker Wings. SIDI boots with Goretex linning. Full face Helmet of course. Saw me thru 30s & snow as well.

I use a First Gear Kilimanjaro Jacket with a Gerbings liner underneath and First Gear heated gloves. I am currently using a Gerbing stepped dual controller but plan on going to a step less one from Warm and Safe. So far jeans,long johns and insulated chaps,boots and socks have been enough for the rest of me.I agree on the Baker Air Wings,they really help

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PERuss

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PERuss
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png