Need Brake Help

Reaction score
A riding buddy of mine has a 2006 gl1800 with a Motor trike kit. It has 22,000 miles on it. We changed and bleed the clutch fluid and got along ok with that. Then we changed the front brake fluid and bleed that and while we were there we bleed the rear bleeders in the front and the ADV and we had good rear pedal and good front brake. Put all back together and found we had rear brakes locked up.

What all have we done wrong. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Gary Loos

Re: Ned Brake Help

I ordered a rotor and pads for my CSC cobra today. The tech told me before I installed that Honda had another recall on rear brakes locking up and have it checked out. You may have this same problem Probably worth Checking into

Thanks for the reply. I knew they had another recall but thought with the problem starting at the time of our brake bleed it probably was our fault.

My first thought is: Did you follow the service manual? The brake bleeding procedure is a bit tricky on the GL1800. If you don't have a service manual it is almost impossible to get it all in the correct sequence. Does the conversion have disc or drum brakes. If they are drum it's possible they are a bit tight. Try backing them off a bit. If disc then just ignore that statement.

Yes, there is a possible issue with some break systems. HONDA sent out notice a month or so back. If your friends rear brake was not dragging before then I doubt that is the problem.

I cant say this as 100% fact. I have yet to even have my rears looked at. But Ive been told there are 2 bleeders on each of the rear rotors an upper and lower on the MT Adventurer kit and they have to be done in a particular order.
A call to MT CS may be in order??

BLEEDING PROCEDURE FOR NEW STYLE GL1800 MOTOR TRIKE®
BRAKE CALIPERS
( 2006 Upgrade and Later )
NOTE: The brake pedal has to be moved UP one notch
on the Master Cylinder Pivot Arm to be able to
apply the right amount of pressure
during riding. This most likely has already been done, at
installation or upgrade. If NOT, Re
position the Pedal before continuing.
To do this, the pinch bolt on the rear brake pe
dal must be completely removed to enable the
pedal arm to be removed from
the Master Cylinder Pivot Arm.
Before removing the pedal
arm, mark its position with a pencil. Remove
the pedal arm, and reposition it back onto the
Pivot Arm; UP one Notch from the mark that was made. Seat the arm back into place, and
replace the pinch bolt, and tighten securely.
Be sure to have plenty of
DOT 4 Brake Fluid on hand.
**This procedure requires Two People.**
Raise Trike off ground, ALL 3 WHEELS. Use Jack Stan
ds in the Rear, and a suitable Jack or support
for the Front of the Trike. The front must have th
e struts (Forks) unloaded to take pressure off the
Anti-dive.
DO NOT USE A POWER BLEEDER (MITY-VAC or
SIM
I
LAR) IT WILL NOT WORK FOR THIS
APPLICATION.
Removing the rear wheels is not essential, but it
will make this procedure much easer to perform.
MASS BLEEDING:
Start at the caliper furthest from the T fitting on
the axle. Left caliper from the back of the
Trike.
When bleeding the system attach your bleeder h
ose to the bleeder screw at the “TOP” of the
caliper. Bleed until no air is trapped in the lin
es. When no air is coming through close the
bleeder screw.
Attach bleeder hose to the bleeder screw, 2n
d from the top. Bleed as listed above.
( The bottom 2 bleeder valves are NOT bled )
Repeat this process for the other side. (Right Side)
Once the system is “MASS BLED” you will need to
pressure bleed the system as well
;
using the above
process.
PRESSURE BLEEDING:
Pressure bleeding is done by pumping the brake
pedal briskly about 7 to 10 times, and holding
strong pressure while the bleeders are just cracked open. Do the top 2 bleeders on each side as was
done with the mass bleeding. Refer to Steps 1 thru 4.
Check Rear pedal for firmness. Replace the wheel
s if removed, and carefully remove the Jack
Stands, and the Front support. Road
test the Trike to insure brake
pedal is firm, and the brakes are
solid. Repeating may be necessary

service manual here:
http://www.junkmaster.com/kj5ix/MTServiceManual.pdf

Thank you for your reply.

I have called MT tech and they told me to only bleed the top bleeder on each of the rear calipers. They never bleed any other bleeder when they install kit.

The rear brakes are disc.

We have the rear of the trike on jack stands and have the front wheel on blocks to level the trike. We do not have the front wheel suspended in the air to unload the front. That might be our mistake.

When we whet thru the bleed process yesterday we bled the rear calipers and had good pedal and the rear wheels turned freely but we thought we should complete the bleed sequence as stated in the repair manual so we bled the top left bleeder on the left side and the rear wheels locked up at that point. No matter what we did after that the rear wheels were locked up. The only way we could we could free them was to open rear top bleeders and work disc back and forth to create free space on brake pads then we would start the rear bleed process again but wheels would lock up.

On Tuesday we will work on them again and raise front wheel off the block to unload the front and try to bleed them again.

Thank you for your ideas.

- - - Updated - - -

I forgot to add that on the MT rear calipers there are actually 4 bleeders on each caliper. Top, bottom and 2 on the side. However the tech said that only the top needs to be bled.

This morning we bled another bottle of brake fluid through the rear brake calipers and put the whells back on and all was good with the rear brakes. Not sure what cured it but glad it did.

Thanks for all suggestions.

This morning we bled another bottle of brake fluid through the rear brake calipers and put the whells back on and all was good with the rear brakes. Not sure what cured it but glad it did.

Thanks for all suggestions.

Good to hear you got things fixed Gary. I bet your friend is relieved!:AGGHH:

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Obsidian
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png