• It appears that you have unread Personal Messages - Please check your inbox!

Motor Trike Maintenance

Papa Zook

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
PREVENTATIVE MAINTENANCE - FROM MOTOR TRIKE, INC

1. The brakes will need to be adjusted at the 500, 1000, 2000 and 4000 mile points or until the brakes have seated. The drum brakes on the rear are equipped with self adjusters, but they will not work due to the light weight of the trike. The brakes will need to be adjusted with a brake spoon. The correct process is to lift the rear end in the air. Remove the rubber adjustment hole cover. It is rectangular in size and about 1” in width. Spin the wheel and adjust the brakes slowly until the wheel starts to drag. The wheel should be able to spin freely for 270 degrees. If the wheel was a clock, it would start at 12 and stop at 9 o’clock.

Reinstall the rubber and repeat process on the other wheel.

2. Grease rear universal joint every 5,000 or when the oil is changed.

3. Inspect and tighten all jam nuts. Make sure a medium grade (BLUE) loctite is used.

4. Grease two swing arm pins on the shoulder where ladder bars rest every 24 months or every 15,000 miles. Also remove the front motorcycle U joint and repack splines, front and rear. Use high quality lithium grease.

5. Use a dry silicon spray to protect heim joint from wear.

(3M makes this product and can be purchased at any auto supply store.)

6. Tire pressure for riding around town should be 18-24 lb.

depending on geographic location and road conditions. Tire pressure for the front tire should be 42 lb.

7. You have a suspension that uses two coil over gas shocks and two air bags. The correct air pressure for the air bag is 20 lbs. with driver only.

Two people would be 35 lbs and up. If you are pulling a trailer with two people, you would use 50 lbs and up.

8. Fender Bras: It is OK for your fender bras to get wet. However, you must remove them when you are finished riding for the day. If you leave wet fender bras on your trike, the paint underneath could blister and peel.

Dry the fender bras and dry the body before reinstalling.

9. For a complete installation and Motor Trike GL-1800 maintenance manual click here:

http://www.junkmaster.com/kj5ix/MTServiceManual.pdf

Thanks Zook, mine's got 5600 on it now so I guess it's time to put it in the air and grease the u-joint..:)

Zook,

Have you seen the Motor Trike Service Manual yet?

Kj5ix Motor Trike Shop Manual

Zook,

Have you seen the Motor Trike Service Manual yet?

Sorry I didn't get back to you Kj5ix. Yes I have seen it and printed it out. It is the best MT manual in existence. With your permission, we should do a thread or a sticky here just for it. Its a must have for MT owners.

Sorry I didn't get back to you Kj5ix. Yes I have seen it and printed it out. It is the best MT manual in existence. With your permission, we should do a thread or a sticky here just for it. Its a must have for MT owners.

Sorry it has taken so long to reply. I have been a little busy finishing it up , and a trip or two thrown in to relax.

The Final version is now available. Your suggestion is a good one to have a Stickie or something like that. As far as I have been able to determine there is no other Maintenance Information available. That is why I but this one together. The location is:

http://www.junkmaster.com/kj5ix/MTServiceManual.pdf

I went to this site and my security software said it was a "Reported Attack Site". Is there someplace else I can find this information? Thanks.:confused:

I went to this site and my security software said it was a "Reported Attack Site". Is there someplace else I can find this information? Thanks.:confused:

Same here but....

It's not an attack site.. Google just doesn't like it so...

Look in the bottom right hand corner of the red label and you will find "ignore this warning"... click on it and you will see and can download the manual.

Thanks I got the manual. I think every Motor Trike should have a nice glossy Maintenance Manual in the trunk when delivered to the purchaser.

Too bad it's only for GW trike conversions and older conversions at that.

Now... if anyone has a manual for the HD conversion.. GIVE IT UP :D :D

Great idea to post the maintenance schedule.

I took the copy I got when I picked up my Shadow in Troup this past July and copied onto a full-page label. It is now permanently stuck on the inside of the trunk lid as a constant reminder. (Looks like M/T put it there.)

WRT to the M/T Service Manual, I downloaded it to my laptop so it is available 24/7. Another great idea that is well appreciated.

Cal

2Jays:

I have the Shadow Aero and use this manual only I ignore the chapters that do not apply to my M/T. The best thing in it is the PM Schedule.

Calman

EDIT: removed by Wiz... let me know if anyone else wants to see it and I'll PM the link...

Click here for Motor Trike File if you still want it. It's too big for anyone to upload it here.

Thanks but I was looking for a manual for a 1500 GW. I have the GW1800 manual that is probably close to the :mad: 1500. I don't understand why Motortrike does not provide a manual.

Thanks but I was looking for a manual for a 1500 GW. I have the GW1800 manual that is probably close to the :mad: 1500. I don't understand why Motortrike does not provide a manual.

Unfortunately that was the only one on that website. :blush:

For some reason Motor Trike and TBMS love to guard their service manual. Been trying for 2 years to get manuals for the Stallion (Sub-Company of Motor Trike) without success.

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Glockjock
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png