Making The Switch - Bike to Trike - Great Info!

How long have you been a trike owner?

• Never owned a bike or trike but thinking of getting a trike.

Votes: 68 4.0%
  • Currently own a bike and thinking of switching to a trike.

Votes: 272 15.9%
  • First owned a trike 0 - 1 year ago.

Votes: 671 39.2%
  • First owned a trike 1 - 2 years ago.

Votes: 176 10.3%
  • First owned a trike 2 - 3 years ago.

Votes: 121 7.1%
  • First owned a trike 3 - 4 years ago.

Votes: 96 5.6%
  • First owned a trike 4 - 5 years ago.

Votes: 76 4.4%
  • First owned a trike more than 5 years ago.

Votes: 232 13.6%

• Total voters
Hi I'm SZQ.
Instead of searching through hundreds of posts maybe you can guide me in the right direction.

I'm a multi cancer survivor 14 yrs., who has recently developed lymphedema on my right side, toes to hip, which throws my balance off enough that when turning/slowing I have tipped over in traffic.
Luckily good ppl have been nearby to help pick it up.

I receive SSDI benefits but not enough to invest in support wheels or trike kit. I even thought of seeing if there are any machine shops near me to make support bars for support wheels.

I just don't have much $ to work with. I NEED to be riding for peace of mind, serenity, contact with my h.p. for continued clean time of 25 yrs.
I have tried contacting the American Cancer Society to find disabled ppl who have adapted bikes to help them ride to vets sites to ptsd groups to news stations.
My brain is tired.

Any suggestions??? Tnx for reading.

Hi I'm SZQ.
Instead of searching through hundreds of posts maybe you can guide me in the right direction.

I'm a multi cancer survivor 14 yrs., who has recently developed lymphedema on my right side, toes to hip, which throws my balance off enough that when turning/slowing I have tipped over in traffic.

I receive SSDI benefits but not enough to invest in support wheels or trike kit. I even thought of seeing if there are any machine shops near me to make support bars for support wheels.

I just don't have much $ to work with. I NEED to be riding for peace of mind, serenity, contact with my h.p. for continued clean time of 25 yrs.
I have tried contacting the American Cancer Society to find disabled ppl who have adapted bikes to help them ride to vets sites to ptsd groups to news stations.
My brain is tired.

- - - Updated - - -

Hi I'm SZQ.

My brain is tired.

- - - Updated - - -

Hi I'm SZQ.

My brain is tired.

Have a look at the outrigger style of trike. (Add on training wheels)

I have to admit I am surprised when someone takes one of my trikes for a test ride then returns and says things like "I keep wanting to put my feet down" or "I can't help but lean"
I started my trike quest after riding over 1.2 million miles on 2 wheels. Since then (last 7 years) I have just over 142k on trikes of all types and designs. Not once did I feel the need to put my feet down or lean.
As it turns out it it really a physiological problem not a vehicle problem. Those who are true adventure riders tend to have little problem with trikes especially front wheel conversions or CanAm style. These experienced riders have expertise riding all sorts of vehicle like ATV, snowmobiles and dune buggies. They naturally understand the physics and have little to no problems. Novice or new riders tend to also adapt quickly as they have no preconceptions and will listen to advice. It is the average rider who forgets 99% of all vehicle don't lean and assumes the mindset the it's a motorcycle so it must lean. Now I am talking wheels forward type trikes here which have automotive type design however wheels back trikes are similar though more difficult to steer. I will admit I designed and rode wheels forward trikes for 5 years prior to riding a conventional trike so I had quite an edge. The first ride on a 1-2 type trike is more involved as the steering is somewhat erratic compared to the 2-1 designs however the basics still apply.

When someone wished to test ride I have three simple pieces of advice I offer.

First - don't steer Push. As in golf try to keep your arm straight. This forms a brace between the body and the handlebar. The pushing removed the illusion that one must lean and mostly eliminated the feeling of hanging on or flying off.

Second - don't put your feet down - be aware of what you are riding do you put your feet down when driving a car or all the other vehicles you know of?

Relax - you here people say the CanAm is dodgie or tends to jump back and forth. Well not true it's the rider over compensating for very subtle movements and in general the arm tension is causing all the problems. In most cases I tell then just ride one handed until you feel comfortable and the tension is gone.

Just spent a good part of Memorial Day afternoon reading this long post. I've got a Yamaha Vstar 1100 being converted by American Trike. Hoping to have it home by mid June. Great tips here, having never ridden a trike before. Can't wait to put them to use.

Hello...(perhaps I should say "hello again" as I am 80 years old and forget if I posted previously on this thread or not.) I am on my 26th bike since 08. Two of them have been trikes...The first was a gorgeous true trike but I sold it within a month because it was so hard to steer...This spring I bought my current one, a 2009 Harley 1200 sportster converted to a Frankenstein brand trike..It had 1200 original miles on it when I bought it.

Now it has 3200 miles...It is a wonderful trike....The steering is easy as can be, seeing that it has a raked front end. It does not pull except the tiniest bit SOME of the time and then only to the right. I never feel the need to lock my arm or to push down on one foot while in a curve..On the highway it is a dream to ride...The front end never wobbles. I could ride all day...Around town it is a bit more tiring, so very often I ride my 09 Kawa Vulcan 500 cruiser two wheeler in town.

The trike is equipped with Vance and Hines Short Shots as the OEM mufflers are too long to clear the solid axle. I dislike the noise but wear earplugs...I am doing a low key search for a fabricator to equip it with stock pipes...no luck so far...(The exhaust system is solid front to back so can't fit it with slip ons without the help of a fabricator.

It also has a mustang seat which is really comfy.. I add a 5/8" gel pad plus a sheepskin to the seat for even more comfort.

I wish it was liquid cooled as it gets really hot when stopped at a red light or in a traffic jam.

I find that I ride slower than on a two wheeler as I usually take country roads....I also find that I am better off in 4th gear between 50 and 60 mph, and 3rd gear from 40 to 60 mph to avoid lugging..The bike seems to be more than amply powered and will go as fast as I want to on straight roads...I have had it to 90 for a quarter mile on a divided highway with no traffic. It tracks very straight.

I do lean into curves to greatly lessen any feeling of centrifugal force. I sometimes shift my bum as well.

My main observation is that the trike is a smooth dream of a ride..Well, I also enjoy the MANY comments and questions of folks at gas stations, plus the daily "thumbs up" received red light stops..

The trike is equipped with Vance and Hines Short Shots as the OEM mufflers are too long to clear the solid axle. I dislike the noise but wear earplugs...I am doing a low key search for a fabricator to equip it with stock pipes...no luck so far...(The exhaust system is solid front to back so can't fit it with slip ons without the help of a fabricator.

Bob,here are a few custom exhaust shops in your area.
https://www.google.com/?ion=1&espv=2#q=Gastonia,NC+custom+exhaust+system+builders

sounds like you have a good setup. Try a bit if the stiff arm and less lean I think you may find you can ride easier and faster on the curves.

Good luck with the options ThumbUp

the switch

when I went to pick mine up, 2001 with RS kit, i tried to lean to make turn out of dealership. and i test road one and had no trouble. my dealer came out laughing and new right off what i did wrong. did a quick practice in a big empty lot and i was off and running. i had an hour and a half ride home and 25 minutes in it started to rain. rained almost all the way home. dealer called about half hour after I got home and told about the ride home. he said if you can ride in rain like that, i would have no problems. i think he called to see if i made it home alive,lol. i would say i took to my trike like a duck to water.

How in the heck did I miss this thread :Shrug: Good bump Zook :clapping:

My riding bud bought a used 2011 Tri from our local dealer. He had a retail bike parts shop, and had it as a hobbie. I went to him to say hello and asked about the 3 wheeler in the lot. Gota talkin, Gota ride. Scared s** t, of tipping over. This thing is dangerous :gah: Rode it some more, harder and harder turns, getting better, and this thing has some power as a stocker, except for some obnoxious exhaust. Returned it with more conversation.

Told my housekeeper of the days experience, and she informed me the real reason she won't ride with me.
I guess my wobbling and weaving at stop and go had somthing to do with it:Shrug: "Your getting older, legs are shot, bad back, bla, bla , bla, a three wheeler would probably keep me upright". That's all I needed as a excuse.

Checked out Craig's List and BINGO ! Found a 2012 with 2k miles, in Rhode Island, private seller. Loaded up the trailer, "Road Trip". Note that this was in 2014.
To this day, don't know why he sold it or why the original owner sold it back to the dealer. ( When you buy a new hd bike , you get 1k in accessories of your choice, being I was the third owner, Bonus, 2k in goods.

After finding this site, did my mods, learned to ride it, and my poor FLH has been a dust collector.
Thanks to all mature folks here , as you probably saved me lots of Band Aid time. Plus ALL TRIKES RULE !,:scooter:

How in the heck did I miss this thread :Shrug: Good bump Zook :clapping:
Told my housekeeper of the days experience, and she informed me the real reason she won't ride with me.
I guess my wobbling and weaving at stop and go had somthing to do with it:Shrug: "Your getting older, legs are shot, bad back, bla, bla , bla, a three wheeler would probably keep me upright". That's all I needed as an excuse. ALL TRIKES RULE !,:scooter:

My riding buddy who died 2 years ago had a trike and a two wheel HD. When he stated having health issues he gravitated toward the trike so I decided to get my Freewheeler. I have never been sorry I made the switch.

Trikin' in Minnesota

Been riding the 2-wheeled variety for 4 decades. Decided to add another tire beginning this year. Bought a 2014 TG and actually went for a 15 mile ride last week (in between snow squalls). My short voyage met with my expectations...that being it won't ride like a bike and the leaning is replaced by steering. As others have mentioned, ATVing experience certainly helped me understand & implement the steering aspect of operating my TG. Snowmobiling experience helped too. I look forward to this upcoming riding season more so than any previous. I suspect the TG won't disappoint. Terrific thread btw. Thanks to all.

We rode hack's for over 2 years before going to a trike (TriCar). When group riding there is a reason that trikes should be at the back. They will outstop the 2 wheelers you are riding with. After you become more familiar with the trike and are riding with a group of 2 wheelers in the twisties take care that you do not run over them in the turns. Ride all you can and enjoy.:)

the paradox of the trike

Cupped tire

Has anyone found a slight vibration in the front end at high speeds only if you have a passenger aboard with you. I notice that yesterday doing about 70 to 75mph with the wife on the bike for the first time. When I was coming up from Phoenix to Prescott at even 85mph there where no vibrations. I do have the original front tire on the trike because it only has 5000 miles on it being it is an 08. those anyone have an idea why. Thanks

Your tire is starting to cup. Common if you don't switch to a tire made for trike.

Recommend a Avon Tiger Trike Tire.

Used them and its unbelievable performance. They average 18ooo miles before a chance out

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Markh853

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Markh853
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png