Making The Switch - Bike to Trike - Great Info!

How long have you been a trike owner?

• Never owned a bike or trike but thinking of getting a trike.

Votes: 68 4.0%
  • Currently own a bike and thinking of switching to a trike.

Votes: 272 15.9%
  • First owned a trike 0 - 1 year ago.

Votes: 671 39.2%
  • First owned a trike 1 - 2 years ago.

Votes: 176 10.3%
  • First owned a trike 2 - 3 years ago.

Votes: 121 7.1%
  • First owned a trike 3 - 4 years ago.

Votes: 96 5.6%
  • First owned a trike 4 - 5 years ago.

Votes: 76 4.4%
  • First owned a trike more than 5 years ago.

Votes: 232 13.6%

• Total voters
Making the Switch

I researched for over two years before I did a dealer test ride [5miles] early this year. HATED IT.. I told myself I would never buy one. A friend of mine and my wife talked me into renting one for a weekend. Rode it over 500 miles. Best thing I ever did. It was a blast once you get past that 100 miles on it. My first Harley was when I was 15, I am now 68. Never has there been a time I didn't have at least one Harley in the Garage. Now I have a Tri Glide in the garage. Best thing I ever did. If anyone has been thinking of going for that 3rd wheel, feel free to contact me. I will give you a up front and honest answer.

I researched for over two years before I did a dealer test ride [5miles] early this year. HATED IT.. I told myself I would never buy one. A friend of mine and my wife talked me into renting one for a weekend. Rode it over 500 miles. Best thing I ever did. It was a blast once you get past that 100 miles on it. My first Harley was when I was 15, I am now 68. Never has there been a time I didn't have at least one Harley in the Garage. Now I have a Tri Glide in the garage. Best thing I ever did. If anyone has been thinking of going for that 3rd wheel, feel free to contact me. I will give you a up front and honest answer.

CONGRATS ride safe and enjoy

triking

I triked my Harley sportster a few yrs ago due to hip problems and wife knew I would never stop riding. I used a paucgho rear conversion at first didn't add the 5 degree triple that's recommended and steering was hard added it and much better put 30000 miles on it till I bought a 2010 triglide mainly due to wife wanting a bigger seat. lol Just remember to steer to where you want to go was the best thing I could have done to keep myself safe.

New Triglide owner

Hello triketalk readers. We bought a one owner 2015 Triglide this past Saturday, had it delivered Sunday and absolutely love it. I had converted my Kawasaki 900 Vulcan into a sidecar so that my wife could accompany me. She had shoulder replacement surgery and could no longer get up out of it. The Trike was a boatload of $ but is a mountain of smiles. She climbs into her seat, is comfortable and loves the ride. I feel like a king with my queen along for the fun. Driving the Triglide is a blast, it's so powerful. Miles of smiles, y'all! I'm 73.5 and hope to ride for many years.

A couple years on a Harley Freewheeler and loving riding again!!!

I was on two wheels all my life and have some real problems with my right leg. I was riding less and less and making excuses. My wife didn't like riding anymore. I laid my '99 Vulcan Classic over in June of 2019 in my yard while warming up one morning, and I couldn't get it picked up vertical without help. Disheartening and depressing. I tested both Can-Am Spyders and TriGlide and Freewheeler.

The Freewheeler was the most fun I'd had since the first time I rode a snowmobile when I was a kid. It is a hotrod and and bike rolled into one I bought a "used" 2017 with 492 miles on it (in Sept. of 2019). It was like new. Loved riding it but the learning curve kept me going very slowly through the curves for the first 500 miles or so. In July of 2020, I was riding through an intersection and the man waiting to turn left decided that doing so after I had started through the intersection would be a good idea. I almost missed him . . . but wound up totaling that trike. But I lived and went and bought a new old Freewheeler as soon as the insurance company came through with the settlement the end of September '20.

My new 2017 had 940 miles when I got it in Oct last year. I have been riding it every chance I get and love riding again. The wreck (and my wife and daughter) have made me re-think "how" I ride now and I get why they didn't want me to ever ride again. I never ride without a helmet (didn't have one on the day I totaled that last trike and I was DAMN lucky), and an armored mesh jacket, except when its over 85 outside.

I'll say that I'm glad I came to accept my limitations and have re-discovered the joys of riding again on my trike. I really do forget I'm trailing two wheels behind me, except when I come into a curve or pull up to a gas pump. The Freewheeler (mine is a 107ci M8 motor) is very responsive with the Vance & Hines exhaust, EBS and Open filtration I have on it. I highly recommend you go test drive one of the new 114 ci ones and get ready for more fun than you've had in about a while. Peace Yinz . . .

First Trike ever and first bike in 30 years!

Hello all, I'm just getting back into riding and couldn't be more excited! I had ridden bikes long ago when I was in my early 20s and absolutely loved it. Then I had kids and priorities changed. Now, all of that is behind me but I've aged a bit, and found that a two wheeler was just not as comfortable anymore. I bought a new Harley Tri-glide in the cool "Snake Venom" paint a week ago and have almost 600 miles on it already.

With the above said, I have several observations and questions to put to the group.

1. I thought I had a big butt before, but with the trike, I really have to be conscious of where my rear tires/fenders are. I've not hit anything yet, but have been close a few times.

2. Left turns from a stop are still quite stressful. It just seems like pushing/pulling the bike through the turn, needing to shift, and not rolling my right wrist unintentionally is a lot to concentrate all at once. I'm sure that this will become a lot smother as I gain more experience, but for now it is difficult. Does anyone have any tips/techniques that could help with this?

3. Windshield choice. The standard windshield on a new Tri-glide is only 10 inches and I'm 6'3" tall, so my helmet is getting pushed around quite a bit on the freeway. I ordered a 12" touring model windshield from Freedom Shields (https://freedomshields.net/product/tri-glide-windshield/) and hope that will help resolve the buffeting that I'm dealing with. The touring model is also a couple of inches wider to help block the wind on the sides. Has anyone used a Freedom Windshield and what did you think?

4. Freeway pegs have been a life saver for my back. Being tall, and not so thin around the waist, I really feel like I'm almost sitting on top of the tank. The freeway pegs really help me to be able to stretch my legs out a little and alleviate a lot of the back strain.

5.Most of all, I'm having a great time with my new bike!

231586109_4317440348322429_5988810264949370192_n.jpg

Hello all, I'm just getting back into riding and couldn't be more excited! I had ridden bikes long ago when I was in my early 20s and absolutely loved it. Then I had kids and priorities changed. Now, all of that is behind me but I've aged a bit, and found that a two wheeler was just not as comfortable anymore. I bought a new Harley Tri-glide in the cool "Snake Venom" paint a week ago and have almost 600 miles on it already.

With the above said, I have several observations and questions to put to the group.

1. I thought I had a big butt before, but with the trike, I really have to be conscious of where my rear tires/fenders are. I've not hit anything yet, but have been close a few times.

2. Left turns from a stop are still quite stressful. It just seems like pushing/pulling the bike through the turn, needing to shift, and not rolling my right wrist unintentionally is a lot to concentrate all at once. I'm sure that this will become a lot smother as I gain more experience, but for now it is difficult. Does anyone have any tips/techniques that could help with this?

3. Windshield choice. The standard windshield on a new Tri-glide is only 10 inches and I'm 6'3" tall, so my helmet is getting pushed around quite a bit on the freeway. I ordered a 12" touring model windshield from Freedom Shields (https://freedomshields.net/product/tri-glide-windshield/) and hope that will help resolve the buffeting that I'm dealing with. The touring model is also a couple of inches wider to help block the wind on the sides. Has anyone used a Freedom Windshield and what did you think?

4. Freeway pegs have been a life saver for my back. Being tall, and not so thin around the waist, I really feel like I'm almost sitting on top of the tank. The freeway pegs really help me to be able to stretch my legs out a little and alleviate a lot of the back strain.

View attachment 101556

Hi Todd and welcome to Trike Talk

The left turns issues will soon become memory for you, that said if you still struggle I would chose an empty parking lot and practice. This will help to further develop your memory muscle and give you more confidence

Hi Todd and welcome to Trike Talk

The left turns issues will soon become memory for you, that said if you still struggle I would chose an empty parking lot and practice. This will help to further develop your memory muscle and give you more confidence

Thanks Jack, I can only hope this is true. Just kidding, I'm finding it easier every day, but it sure was intimidating at first.

View attachment 101556

Todd...............Welcome to trike talk.............:clapping:..

I use chap stick,

I have been triking about 15 years. 11 years on a VW based Trike Shop Runabout, the past 4 or so on a 1995 GW1500 Motor Trike. Feel free to pick my brain (such as it is)! Pics of both are posted in the garage.

For new trikers, especially those coming from a 2 wheeler, a few tips:

-Keep that front wheel in the middle of your lane.

-Point the front wheel in the direction you want to turn (no countersteering!)

-Don't put your feet down at a stop.

-If you think you will be able to reach out and touch something to the side, you're too close! Watch out for curbs, toll booth & gas pump barrier poles, etc.

-When you hit a pothole or bump with one of your rear wheels, the bars will shake a bit. Don't worry, this is normal. The effect is a little more pronounced with solid axle rear ends.

-Add extra time at stops on a ride for answering questions from interested folks asking questions about your ride, from both two wheel riders and nonriders. (We could retire if we got $1 from every little kid we gave a quick 5 minute ride around a parking lot, and a couple of parents, too.)

-Don't worry about the small decrease in gas mileage. You now carry more weight, bigger wheels (and an extra one) and there are 2 air brakes right behind you, also known as "fenders"

-The soreness around your mouth and cheeks is from the extra big smile you will have for hours at a time. It doesn't go away, but don't worry - you'll get used to it.:D

I use chap stick for that smile.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PERuss

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PERuss
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png