Making The Switch - Bike to Trike - Great Info!

How long have you been a trike owner?

• Never owned a bike or trike but thinking of getting a trike.

Votes: 68 4.0%
  • Currently own a bike and thinking of switching to a trike.

Votes: 272 15.9%
  • First owned a trike 0 - 1 year ago.

Votes: 671 39.2%
  • First owned a trike 1 - 2 years ago.

Votes: 176 10.3%
  • First owned a trike 2 - 3 years ago.

Votes: 121 7.1%
  • First owned a trike 3 - 4 years ago.

Votes: 96 5.6%
  • First owned a trike 4 - 5 years ago.

Votes: 76 4.4%
  • First owned a trike more than 5 years ago.

Votes: 232 13.6%

• Total voters
re: Experienced Trike Riders - Please post here.

At slower speeds I don't have a problem turning, but at higher speeds it seems to want to plow straight ahead instead of turning. I really have to push/pull the handlebars quite a bit. I'm going to keep practicing and I already have a big grin on my face. :D

This is how I look in the higher speed sharp turns = :AGGHH:

It will finally come to You, just keep practicing.....Look as Far through the curve as You can in the twisties. This applies to 2-wheelers too, "but" I've found it really lightens the steering on Trikes...also takes less cut..."Try It, You'll Like It".....ThumbUp

The faster I go the more it wants to push the tire sideways. What's the fastest anyone has taken a normal street corner turn?

Great "tips" from seasoned riders. I am a new member and a "seasoned rider" of many different brands of two wheelers. I switched to 3 because of knee transplants and the inability to trust my knees during stopping procedures. I triked out my 95 Harley FLHTC when she had 78,000 miles on her, now she has 107,000. All totaled I have over 300,000 miles of riding experiences AND I CAN SAY IT HAS BEEN FANTASTIC. My wife rides her own 07 Harley FXST and has had numerous brands but she will ride only Harley's after her 81 Wide Glide days. I can attest to the fact that riding a trike has many advantages and I love every one of them.

Well there is some great advice here. So let me share my first experience on a trike. Its a 1987 Suzuki Cavalcade 1400cc. It had a hack-job for outriggers, bought it like that. The first morning I rode it to work, first time I rode it period. Everything was going great, no problems at all. Running about 70 in a 55. Came into a good curve with very little bank, way to fast. The inside tire started to lift up (solid axles). Not knowing what to do, I gassed it. Mind you, I'm already running about 70. Went over the hi-side embankment, onto a cotton field turn-row. Rode down the turn-row to a road then back out to continue again. Moral of the story, solid-axles, slow-down in a curve, if the inside tire starts to lift, slow-down. Since this incident, it now has a hand-made outrigger kit with independent suspension, got somewhere near 500 miles on it, with no problems whatsoever.

Re: How are trikes different from bikes?

I was having sever knee/ankle/hip problems so I triked my Harley Ultra in 05. Within a week I know it was the best move I could have made to keep riding. No more balancing on slopes with my wife on the back or worries about bad road conditions or soft shoulders. The only time you put your feet down is to get off. If I had not triked I would probably not be riding anymore. We have just completed a 7k road trip and do many week long trips that I would not have been able to do on two wheels.

I have 1 year riding as a tryker, after having my HD Dresser converted to a Motortrike IRS. What was stated in the previous posts are true about this diffrent style of riding. At first it took some getting used too, turning was very diffrent (esp) left turns they take longer. Pulling up to or next something is always something to remember as the results can be heart breaking and embarassing. I found treating my ride like a car was easiest to do. You will lose some power in your ride,(esp) 2-up,also gain extra heat of your engine that may end up on your passenger.That all said I can say without hesitation,that this has been the greatest riding season for me and my better half we have had together. The feeling of comfort,stability and safety on the open road is tremendous.Become a triker now not a biker anymore, you won't look back except in your mirrors.

Very good answers. I agree with some and not with others. that is just personal, what works for you may not work for someone else. I have somewhere between 300-400 k on trikes. The only thing that I can truthfully add here without repeating Is a factor of experienced and non experienced two wheel riders. I hane built 40-50 trikes for other people. A veteran bike rider sometimes is harder to convert to three wheels than a person with no riding experience at all. I mean no ofence and offer apologies ahead of time. Two wheelers with any years of riding are cut into counter steer and lean. The hardest mental part is to get away from that and point the front tire where you want to go.. I have had some experienced riders say I can handle the trike and the first thing that happens Is the counter steer and lean right thru mt flower beds. This is a very mental thing to be aware of. I ride both 2&3 wheels and have no problem switching fron oe to te other. I hope this helps someone.

New here and getting ready to purchase my first trike. Never rode and for that fact only a bike a few times also and thats been 12 some years ago. Looking forward though to having the wife ride along and shes excited which is a good thing. So am I better knowing nothing and starting on the trike ? Sounds if I may be. Whats the best tip for a newbie all the way around on riding a trike with zero experience on riding at all ? :Excited:

Marv1 axes: Whats the best tip for a newbie all the way around on riding a trike with zero experience on riding at all ?

Well, you are in the right place. Go to the beginning of this thread and read it through. Lot of good info here. Second, if there is trike training course in your area, take it. When you get the trike remember confidence and proficiency come with experience.

What trike are you getting:confused: Go to that thread on this forum and learn all you can about that trike, and how it handles. Pick the brains of the owners of that model.... that's what they are here for :D
I have learnt so much about my H-D Ultra trike by just reading the threads in here
Thank you everyone :10:

Been a Triker since 2002. Firstly a BMW R1200C a lovely machine. Perhaps a bit underpowered at 1200cc. Handled well at slower speeds but at 70 plus very light steering pretty close to wheeling, with very little grip at the front wheel. Lucky I'm not a speed merchant. Then I had the best trike ever a Triumph Rocket 3. It stuck at whatever speed you cared to ride. While in Spain would comfortably take gradual corners at 115mph. But the engine was a dog. First 7000 miles ok then would not run. I got to know the breakdown guys by first names spent more time with them than my family. And it was a brand new bike that I had triked. The word Triumph and the word service should not be use in the same sentence unless you use 'lack of' as well. Then had the Harley Ultra Classic with the Lehman back end. This also suffers with the light front especially with a pillion and luggage. But at legal speed its fine and as I'm getting older I'm getting slower. Did 47000 miles on the BMW about 12000 miles on the Triumph not including the miles on the recovery lorry about 400000000000. I might have a few too many 0’s!!! The Harley is on 15000 miles at the moment.
Johnlyn

On a road with no traffic park with the left rear wheel near the center stripe. Then mark the stripe location on the windshield or the handlebars. Now you have an indicator to warn you when you are too close to the center stripe. The first time I pulled a trailer with with a bike I found myself crossing the stripe when I didnt pay attention so I marked the windshield and never had the problem again.

Tire components break down with time and chemicals added if air is used, Most garages suck air at street level and the mixture also picks some lubricant up from the compressor. Filters help but are not always clean. Divers have died using non SCUBA and CGA certified compressors. If you look at the air from the nozzle on a cold day with low humidity you can see and feel the moisture. Safe bet is to use nitrogen and ask tire dealers the life expectancy for tires in your area. In Fl due to the heat, most say three years is safe life. I had a HD dealer say that an 09 Trike with only 551 miles should have new tires. Also batteries get max 2*3 years here. Good Luck, Ray

OK all you veteran trike guys...I'm looking at trike kits for my 93 Harley FL and a concern...I'm worried that the solid axle set-up puts a lot of pressure and strain (twist) on my frame at the swingarm mount....Does anybody know of any problems in that area??
I would think that the independent axles would not put the twisting force on the frame at that area....I'd appreciate any thoughts you guys have....Solid or independent ???
Thanks..Dave

Dave, I can't give you the physics of it, but from experience I can tell you the solid axle handles GREAT in the twisties! I've been on a Fat Boy with a solid axle Champion kit for 6 years, and believe me, it certainly didn't slow me down. I more than keep up with my hubby who is on 2 wheels. Mechanically, there was never any problems with it.

The BIG thing is, you will need a short break in, as in " getting used to the trike " period, before you are comfortable with riding it. We all did, so don't worry about it, it's a normal period for everyone. Riding two wheels for over 50 years,three wheels for four. Have fun.

Dave, I can't give you the physics of it, but from experience I can tell you the solid axle handles GREAT in the twisties! I've been on a Fat Boy with a solid axle Champion kit for 6 years, and believe me, it certainly didn't slow me down. I more than keep up with my hubby who is on 2 wheels. Mechanically, there was never any problems with it.

Yep...I ride Mitzie's Solid Axle, and my Independent Rear Suspension....both can be ridden very, very competently....it just gets down to Personal Preference. I still prefer IRS, but would have no reservations about owning a Solid Rear Axle Version.......ThumbUp:Dorag:

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Semiringeye

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Semiringeye
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png