Making The Switch - Bike to Trike - Great Info!

How long have you been a trike owner?

• Never owned a bike or trike but thinking of getting a trike.

Votes: 68 4.0%
  • Currently own a bike and thinking of switching to a trike.

Votes: 272 15.9%
  • First owned a trike 0 - 1 year ago.

Votes: 671 39.2%
  • First owned a trike 1 - 2 years ago.

Votes: 176 10.3%
  • First owned a trike 2 - 3 years ago.

Votes: 121 7.1%
  • First owned a trike 3 - 4 years ago.

Votes: 96 5.6%
  • First owned a trike 4 - 5 years ago.

Votes: 76 4.4%
  • First owned a trike more than 5 years ago.

Votes: 232 13.6%

• Total voters
Re: Experienced Trike Riders - Please post here.

Wow; being really new to trikes; this page has answered a LOT of questions. Just acquired a Vulcan 1500 with a tow-pac already on it and have been riding in parking lots and on severely crowned tar and chip side streets, with a few two lane rural highways to try and learn triking techniques and un-learn the two wheeled ways. This forum has and will continue to be, a great source of information as I go thru the learning process and beyond. Thanks to everyone.

Yep, this Thread has lots of Really Important, Useful Riding Info. I can never say this too much: Look as far through the Corner as possible, each and every time.....Enjoy Your Trike.....ThumbUp

Just got my 2013 Tri-Glide on 7/20. We've put about 1200 mi on her so far. REALLY wish I found this sight before that but ah well lol. Lots of great tips on here that I pretty much had to figure out thru the school of hard knocks.

Hardest for me (and I still do it sometimes) is not to lean into a curve. Been riding since I was 13 (47 now) and that is damn hard not to do at times. Getting much better about it tho.

Best advice I got from this thread tho is the one on how to get on and off the trike. LOVED that bit of advice. Can't wait to try it out tomorrow!

Rax

Just got my 2013 Tri-Glide on 7/20. We've put about 1200 mi on her so far. REALLY wish I found this sight before that but ah well lol. Lots of great tips on here that I pretty much had to figure out thru the school of hard knocks.

Hardest for me (and I still do it sometimes) is not to lean into a curve. Been riding since I was 13 (47 now) and that is damn hard not to do at times. Getting much better about it tho.

Best advice I got from this thread tho is the one on how to get on and off the trike. LOVED that bit of advice. Can't wait to try it out tomorrow!

Rax

....and ALWAYS look as far through the corner as possible..."almost" to the point of farther than when on a 2-Wheeler.....ThumbUp

Did a Lehman conversion on my 91 ultra in 2005. I have added a Spyder and a triglide as well as a few more bikes.

Ozarkryder,
Your beginning thread advice is priceless, especially about the crown in the road ways. For cycling I ride a two wheel recumbant, with my wife on a three wheel recumbant and that is an impact even on her bicycle.
I hadn't considered the same effect on a trike. I pick mine up Fri. and will be riding I70 from Ohio to Pa turnpike. I expect now the local driving rodes I will take note of 'till I get used to that effect.
tks so much for your input!
Any new trikers should read the beginning comments I mentioned of this thread to be concious of local stret riding.
cooltech:cool:

There is a utube vid that shows this procedure if anyone wants/needs to see it. Try, "how to get on a motorcycle trike". Clip should be on first page.

First is to get on the trike so you can ride so... For me it was how to get on and off without kicking the fenders.

I can't remember who told me this but it was someone from this site and I've been asked why I mount that way even by dealer salesmen. Now they are teaching the new owners of the Tri Glide this way. It's funny how a good suggestion goes a very long way.

So, thank you to whom ever you are! :yes:

To Mount a Trike:

1. Put down the passenger floor boards.

2. From the left side of your trike step on your front floor board or peg with your right foot.

3. Hold on to your left grip with your left hand.

4. Stand up on your right foot and step back with your left foot placing it on the passenger floor board.

5. Place your right hand on the right grip.

6. With the weight on your left foot, lift your right foot up and over the tank/seat.

7. Place your right foot on the right front floor board and take your seat.

To dismount:

1. Reverse your process above but the first move is to put your left heal/foot on the passenger floor board.

2. Stand up holding on to both grips.

3. Lift your right foot over the tank/seat and walk off the trike.

For the Passenger:

1. The Passenger gets on first and off last.

2. Follow the same rules for mounting the trike except the passenger holds on to the sissy bar or tour pack instead of the grips.

3. Passenger places right foot on right passenger floor board and takes a seat. Passenger will adjust for the riders backrest by stepping over it or laying it forward.

4. Passenger dismounts in a similar fashion and walks off the trike.

Again, thank you for this lesson. It has saved many hours of buffing and scratch repair since I have metal tips toe tips on my riding boots!:blush:

-dave

I don't know if this is practicle for cycle/trike parking for fear of folks cking out your ride but, I almost always park my car, and will do the same when I have my trike this weeknd, away from other vehicles because I don't want door dings, shopping carts driffting into my vehicles, plus the bit of a walk to the door of the store I'm going to is good excercise.
I'll look for end parking spots and park into the spot away from the line so if someone else does come in they have plenty of room.
There are still times someone parks close to me even though I've left plenty of room. My Honda Element has several door dings, one of which is about 6 inches in length top to bottom, from when I was in a hurry and didn't take the time to evade the careless!
Gosh, this Friday can't get here soon enough! Want to plant myself on my new/used Goldwing!

Tip # 10 when you park your TRIKE/ Motorcycle in a crowded parking lot, don't pull all the way in . Stop so the rear is visible from behind. i had a guy start to pull in behind me.

Thanks to all who posted helpful hints to riding and enjoying life with a trike. One other thing that I found made a difference in handling was adding an easysteer kit.

I too have experienced people stopping by and asking questions about our trike and trailer.

Looking forward to many more posts.

John Luciano, great advice. I've been riding my 1500 as a trike since 1995. It took me about 5 miles to get used to the drive from Columbus, Ohio to Toledo. I have 75,000+ miles on it so far, and it is awesome. You never get away from the questions from people when stoped for fuel or food. All of the above advice is great, and I guess there is nothing to add. Ride safe.

VW trikes handle differently than regular trikes
With the light front end, powering thru corners is a bad idea. You drive them more like 4x4 SUVs
You pull up to a corner, SLOW DOWN,
And then turn. The first time your front tire skips when you try to turn in town, you will understand

Continuing

You get better at not popping the clutch.
The first time the front end comes off the ground
It is a LEARNING experience
(did it ONCE by accident)

As others have said,
Either pull thru parking spaces and face out
or back into a stall.

Since mine has no emergency brake
I always back in on a slope so my back tires are STOPPED by the curb
Even if I have to walk all the way around the parking lot to get into the cafe.

Nice thing about a VW, a lot of little stuff can be fixed with a monkey wrench, two screwdrivers
and a pair of pliers :D
They ride in the handle bar bag with the registration, and insurance paperwork.
The last two items are in a sealed plastic freezer baggie.
Actually, throw in a couple more more baggies, gives you something to
put the cell phone and wallet in before it RAINS:xzqxz:

This is a suggestion for those who have a front brake lever. Use a very small bungie cord and wrap it around the front brake. No need to park it in reverse. Besides parking in reverse can and will lock up the gears, sooner or later. Then you will have to call a tow truck.

Hope this helps

Re: Trike Rider

First Trike in 2000. Have over 135K on trikes. CSC first one on 1999 and Champion on present 2005 GL1800. Willing to give advice (it's free (and some would say worth the cost)):)!

Bill
Hi Bill just tricked my 2002 1800 goldwing with a champion kit went for a ride last week end and notice st that the front wheel wanted to move to the center line as I was going around A turn is that because I am going to fast around the turn are not taking the turn write. and the factory said that they adjusted my shocks for a trailer because I told them that I hall a trailer some times I am wounded if they adjusted them to tight. ps the kit has indempemt sespion with coil overs set at 2.5 turns on them. Any help thanks. Gary pepper

Have read this thread twice so far, plan to read it again in total! Why, because I expect my first trike in a week or two and need to know all I can about riding/driving a trike! I am triking my '06 Yamaha StratoLiner with a CSC kit through a local trike dealer and in hopes of many, many great miles of triking. I have been riding 2 wheels for 40+ years and the input of the experienced members is of great value to someone like me and it is much appreciated!
Thank you, and hope to see some of you on the road in the near future!

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
trvman

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
trvman
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png