Post Your VW Trike Pics

Re: Post Your VW Trike Pictures HERE

The reason the tranny is mounted upside down is that the engine has been forward mounted, not rear as usual for these engine so if the diff was mounted around the right way up you would have four reverse gears and one forward, so fitting the gearbox upside down swings the diff to the opposite side of the pinion and awwla you solve the problem and you have four forward gears with the engine forward mounted successfully simple solution to a complexing problem VW's, ahh so versatile.:wave4:

The main reason was to lower the ground clearance down to chopper motorcycle height without cambering the axles badly. Secondly it puts the center of gravity below the axle centers. Formula "V" racers used to do this. Thirdly I did not want to run on the "heal" of the ring and pinion. I have never heard of anyone having a problem with a flipped ring gear but from an engineering point of view I think you would be pulling on the coast side of the teeth. Flip the whole trans and the ring is still on the correct side of pinion. You caint just flip one upside down, it does take some machine work to the oiling system. Had to build the trans anyhow to get the gear ratios I wanted, so might as well do it how I wanted.

I rode the yellow trike for 7 years, until it was perfect :) and sold it 3/12. I had the orange one on the road 10 days later.

Last edited:

Latest pics of my newbuild:
IMG_0416.jpg

IMG_0417.jpg

Untitled-1.jpg

The wood bodywork wont be stopping lol, this is a rough start to the fibreglass mould that will match up to the light green seat unit mould.

Got all my old school headlights on now. Alfa radiator up the front where it works best.

IMG_0009-4.jpg

IMG_0002-9.jpg

Placing the radiator up front it was too wide to use the pedal (automatic trans) so had to make up some adjustable pedal so when my wife gets her license she'll reach them.

IMG_0021-2.jpg

Now I have to take some more pics for nana for the calendar...

this is my new project . these are the before shots. can anybody tell me what kind of fork that is ? i think older sportster . the bottom part of the rizer bars that hold the handle bars is made into the top triple tree & the front hub is not made for a front brake. plus the only mark on it is usa on the rubber shock boots.

new ape hangers ,old school spinners , fixed all lites & horn , street legal now . . uging gps for speedo . can't figure out what kind of front end it has . antique hd. local hd dealer is not in the info bussiness ?? when i told them i need fork seals for it said " good luck with that" ??

My trike project

Well everybody, its been a little while since my last visit. Anything new going on? Anyway, just wanted to post a couple pics of my project going forward
This is a link to my photobucket account.

My trike project pictures by onerighthand - Photobucket

Check it out off and on as I do take photos of everything and also look at my past projects in other folders if you want. I also welcome candid and constructive critisizm, but let me qualify that. it is what it is up to this point and I have noticed there is a myriad of ways to do this. So I am using what I have and hopefully improving it. so tell me what I should be looking or watching out for, going forward, not backwards.

I just did not feel this bike was appropriate for bucket seats, but wish it was. An Air ride seat is being installed, better forward controls and some floor boards. I was sitting bent over like a paperclip too much before and wanted to sit up a bit more and add more leg room.

Fresh swing arm transaxle today was purchased and reinstalling the yet to be determined 1500 or 1600 until the rest of the bike is brought up to snuff. I will have my frame ready for paint tuesday. What should I paint it with?

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NILLA

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NILLA
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png