rear wheels

Reaction score
spring hill FL (6 months) girard PA (the other 6)
Down here in Florida, a girl was killed riding her Harley TriGlide, on the interstate when one of her trike wheels fell off! being new to trikes,(6000 miles) I'm a little concerned about my Roadsmith/Harley street glide, I checked the rear wheels and cant figure out where the lug nuts are,There is a cover with some weird kind of screws holding them in place, Special tool needed here? Not an allen,not a phillips head, not a socket, can anyone help

Thank you....... Joe

:confused:

WOW, this is the first I've heard of that! A loss of a loved one is never easy, especially in a seemingly preventable accident. In looking at the 2009 Tri-Glide service manual, there is nothing special on the wheel attachment. The four lug nuts are exposed, and easy to get to. There is a center cap, but it does not need to be removed to remove the wheel, as it is held in with a clamp and screw from inside the wheel.

Other trikes may have center caps 'hiding' the lug nuts, but these are usually snapped on, but some do need tools for removal. Rear lug nut torque should be frequently checked on any vehicle, especially a trike. Most are 90 - 100 ft. lb. I would check with your particular trike kit manufacturer, or any decent independant shop, who certainly should be able to figure out how to check wheel nut torque.

I would also be very interested in finding out more about this accident. Any links or details, please post here.

Thanks!

UB

OK, I found it. Here's the text:

ST. PETERSBURG — A woman died after the motorcycle she was riding on lost a wheel and crashed on Interstate 275 Thursday night, (Feb 4th) officials said.

The crash was reported at about 7:35 p.m. on southbound I-275 at 28th Street S.

According to troopers, a Tierra Verde couple was in the center lane when their 2009 Harley Davidson TriGlide lost one of its wheels.

William Riley, the driver, lost control. He and his wife, Janet Riley, were thrown onto the grassy median. Janet Riley, 63, died at the scene. William Riley, also 63, was taken to Bayfront Medical Center with serious injuries.

The accident was not alcohol-related, officials said. Both people were wearing helmets.

The left lane of the highway was blocked for more than an hour as Florida Highway Patrol troopers investigated.

Very sad accident. I'll try to find out more about this.

UB

On my Roadsmith, the lugnuts are under that cover you describe. On that cover, there's a notch about the size of a big screwdriver tip or car lugwrench end for removing hubcaps. Stick a pry bar in that slot & pry the cap off -- it pops right off. I try to put something, like an old glove, between the wheel & bar to keep from marring the wheel's surface. Also notice I did not say to use a screwdriver!

Screwdrivers are made for twisting, not prying -- there's nothing more cumbersom to use than a bent screwdriver! Torque spec for Roadsmith lugnuts is 75 ft lb. The cover just snaps back on when you're done. It's recomended that we check lugnut torques at 500 & 1,000 mi (when new) & at every service after that. Hmmm I need to do the 500 check!

Wow a sad event. I would think the loose wheel should of been felt before it came off. Not knowing their experience or the age of the trike leads to alot of questions without any answers. The point to be learned by ALL of us is to check those lugs every so often. We never do in most cases. Just for a closure we all should go do it while we are thinking about it.

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Obsidian
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png