Avon Cobra Trike front tire #2

mhgoldwing

Mar 29, 2011
mountain home,ar. USA
Did club ride Saturday thru some serious Arkansas twisties riding two-up. Tire tracked perfectly through hard twisties. Ride on roads with previous handlebar jarring, small crossways imperfections virtually gone. Conditions were 65-70 degrees and dry.

Can't define exactly why it is different, but the Avon Cobra Trike tire just feels better in the hard twisties. Maybe the difference between radial and bias ply; I don't know. I do know it feels very solid, smooth, and steers a little easier.

In my mind I only two additional areas to evaluate; wet traction and tire wear. All other results exceed the MPA and BT-45 in my mind.

I have a question about tread depth on the tire. Does the tire look like it has more tread depth like an MPA or BT45 compared to a stock GL1800 front tire?

If they softened the compound and the thread depth is less that the rear tire we have been using then it is not going to be better wear. The whole idea is to have the bias ply stiff wall and deep thread. Interested in how it will wear, time will tell. What was the cost?

Personally, I would be happy with equal mileage to get rid of the buckboard ride from the rear sport tires.

Maybe the better ride is because the Avon is a radial and not bias ply. Time will tell.

Very interesting as I recalled it was the "kiss if death" to even think of running a radial on the front of a trike as posted several times elsewhere:xzqxz:
As well as the 2 sport bike tires were to be run reverse rotation:confused:
The other controversy was running 41psi:gah:Faithfully did that on my 1st BT45. Dropped to 36psi on my 2nd, when installed last spring and the ride is much smoother:pepper:
Will keep watching to see what mileage you get and if there is any cupping

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Markh853

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Markh853
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png