Running the trike with no radiator

speedyxjs

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am building a Ford cologne V6 trike from scratch and would like an opinion on a crazy idea i have had.

Would it be possible to run such a beast of an engine with no radiator. There would still be water but the hoses would just loop together. The theory is that as the engine is so exposed, it may not run too hot unless maybe it was in heavy traffic.

This is a picture from about 6 months ago but due to work, it hasn't changed much since then :(

10553603_10204416355274737_3073653395165932921_n.jpg

Sorry, you must run a radiator. Recirculated water will just get hotter and hotter. You gotta cool it down before pumping it back in. Your pretty 'lil ford has no cooling fins to disapate heat..

Hi all,

I am building a Ford cologne V6 trike from scratch and would like an opinion on a crazy idea i have had.

Would it be possible to run such a beast of an engine with no radiator. There would still be water but the hoses would just loop together. The theory is that as the engine is so exposed, it may not run too hot unless maybe it was in heavy traffic.

This is a picture from about 6 months ago but due to work, it hasn't changed much since then :(

View attachment 23751

I built mine with the radiator in back and used a in line electric water pump , electric fans on radiator and pumped the coolant to the front. I used homemade adapters to run it in and out of engine . Its a v6 4.3 and ran all summer in nh with no overheating problems at all. In fact engine is completely coverd and i sit on the engine. lol. Its an ugly bitch but its legally registered and inspected in NH

Of course you can run it without a radiator,you just can't run it very far. The coolant will suck the heat out of the motor but what is going to suck the heat out of the coolant? and when the motor and coolant reach equilibrium then what? With a little plumbing and some electric fans and an electric water pump you can mount that radiator pretty much anywhere but you have to have something to suck the heat out of the coolant or the motor will just keep putting more in with nowhere to go.

BTW cool looking start to your project. Please keep informed as to how it is going.

i am just putting the finishing touches on a trike i built using a datsun 1400cc engine and automatic transmission. i put the radiator in the back with twin electric fans pulling the air through the radiator. it uses the stock belt driven water pump. it works fine.

trike chev rear shot.jpg

Heres a pic of my 425hp Chevy powered trike, ran custom hose from Stuart hose company to the rear alum radiator, electric fans, trike chev front rite upl shot.jpgtrike chev front right.jpgit has a Lincoln independent rear end and auto trans, for sale-13,500 :cool:

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stag man
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png