Wife bought herself a 3-wheeler...

Oct 6, 2014
Kingston WA USA
I showed her pics of the new Slingshot months ago. She's been chomping at the bit waiting for them to come out. She got her 3-wheel MC endorsement while she was waiting. We heard that our local dealer had a least one, so we went to check it out a couple weekends ago. I pretty much figured if she drove it she'd buy it. We took our helmets, took a spin in it, nobody had money down on it, so she wrote them a check...
Elsewhere in the country, folks are on long waiting lists. Man this thing is fun to drive! So I guess I'm stuck with the Tri-Glide, she has her toy... Oh, life is so tough...:D
slingshot.jpg

Check your state registration regulations. Dealers are upset.
I just read an article in one of my bike magazines that, in Texas, they are having problems registering it. There are two reasons some people want it classified as a car and some as a motorcycle, but it doesn't fit either one according to the rule book. They said other states will be in the same boat.

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/20...polaris-slingshot-trikes-elio-motors-problem/

Here in WA they have a separate endorsement for 3-wheeled motorcycles, we both have that. The state calls it a motorcycle, for fees, license plate, and helmet law. The dealer didn't think any special endorsement was necessary, due to the automotive-style controls. moot point for us.
Her biggest challenge will be when she takes it on the ferry. Bikes load first, then cars. Will she be able to go to the front with bikes...
We live across Puget Sound from Seattle. So on Friday afternoons she is stuck in line with all the folks heading out of town for the weekend. That's part of her reasoning for buying it. Bikes get to bypass the long lines.
I told her if they give her any static at the ticket booth to point to the warning sticker that Polaris puts right between the seats: "This is a motorcycle. Helmets must be worn"

I've researched the Washington trike laws. If a trike has a steering wheel and seatbelts no trike endorsement is required. I don't think a helmet is required although I'm not sure. The ice cream vendors driving the Cushman three wheelers don't wear helmets so I suspect a helmet is not required for you rig although I have searched the DOL website and have found no information regarding helmet requirements. It is my understanding that all three wheelers in Washington are licensed as motorcycles. I have a feeling the ferries are going to park you with the cars because of the width but it will be interesting to find out.

Gee, you are stuck with the TriGlide....what a sorry state of affairs. I think you should sell it and not have to bear that shame. :D

Enjoy both of them. !!!

They cancel all orders in texas, slingshot is hard to get in and out if you are more than 5,4, now the ktm Xbow is another story. Congrats on the buy and ride/drive ??? Safe :clapping:

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Semiringeye

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Semiringeye
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png