Question on Title and Registration on Lehman Storm

Dec 17, 2014
Marana, AZ
Howdy all, new here. Wanted to ask a question about Title and Registration. Especially if you happen to live in Arizona.

Is your Lehman Trike titled and registered as a "Lehman Storm" or as a "Kawasaki"?

Recently purchased a Storm from the dealer and half the paper work says Lehman Storm and other paperwork says Kawasaki. Seems they used whichever to make it acceptable to the parties involved. i.e. Loan paperwork says Lehman Storm and Service Agreement says Kawasaki 900. Registration says Kawasaki 900 and I expected Lehman Storm.

Please no comments on "I should have read the paperwork" - you are right, no question about it.

Interested in your answers.

Thank you

I would expect if you research your DMV rules you will find that a trike is a motorcycle. This is what most states registrator them as. The Lehman is a conversion of the motorcycle. The conversion is considered an accessory. They do this because they can not afford to get the completed 3 wheel motorcycle inspected and certified as a stand alone vehicle approved for sale. The Harley Tri-Glide was submitted to this process. This process is expensive so most smaller companies are using the conversion as an accessory method to get their product out. It's all about the legal issues and the easiest way to get the vehicle registered and available for sale.This should not affect the value of the trike. There are Harley Tri-Glides and also a lot of Harleys with a conversion out there. The value of the conversions does not seem to have been affected by the availability of the Tri-Glide. Bottom line I do not think you need to worry about it. As long as you get it registered and then insured. Don't fret the paperwork and get out and enjoy the trike.

Thank you both for the input. My wife moved on to a Triglide after the two short months since we bought the storm, she wanted more luggage space, so I am looking to sell it. So, need to know what to let perspective buyers know when they see the title.

NADA has values for Lehman Trikes, I guess that's why I expected the title to say Lehman Trike - Kawasaki Storm or words to that affect.

Thank you again for your input.

Howdy all, new here. Wanted to ask a question about Title and Registration. Especially if you happen to live in Arizona.

Is your Lehman Trike titled and registered as a "Lehman Storm" or as a "Kawasaki"?

Recently purchased a Storm from the dealer and half the paper work says Lehman Storm and other paperwork says Kawasaki. Seems they used whichever to make it acceptable to the parties involved. i.e. Loan paperwork says Lehman Storm and Service Agreement says Kawasaki 900. Registration says Kawasaki 900 and I expected Lehman Storm.

Please no comments on "I should have read the paperwork" - you are right, no question about it.

Interested in your answers.

Thank you

My suggestion is:
Use the Kawasaki Certificate of Origin when applying for the registration and title. If you use the Lehman Storm Certificate, it will bring the DMV to a complete stop. Your new Trike will forever be a Lehman Storm and not a Kawasaki. May be difficult to insure and finance in the future.

We never supplied the customer with the Lehman Certificate and avoided the problem since they developed the turn-key product in 2002.

In Arizona, a trike is Titled/Registered according to the power plant. For example, if the engine is a motorcycle, then it gets papered as a motorcycle and if one never rode 2 wheels before, they'd have to also get an m/c endorsement on their driver's license.

If the trike were powered by a VW engine, then it's Titled/Registered as a "car" and no m/c endorsement is required on the driver's license. HTH......

My suggestion is:
Use the Kawasaki Certificate of Origin when applying for the registration and title. If you use the Lehman Storm Certificate, it will bring the DMV to a complete stop. Your new Trike will forever be a Lehman Storm and not a Kawasaki. May be difficult to insure and finance in the future.

We never supplied the customer with the Lehman Certificate and avoided the problem since they developed the turn-key product in 2002.

Thank you for your input it's much appreciated. Is there a separate serial number on the trike section? If so, is it possible to get a date of manufacture and install date? I purchased the bike used from a dealer and just wanting some history on it.

Thank you again Jim

Thank you for your input it's much appreciated. Is there a separate serial number on the trike section? If so, is it possible to get a date of manufacture and install date? I purchased the bike used from a dealer and just wanting some history on it.

Thank you again Jim

There is a serial number and date on a sticker on the left side of the swingarm. Not sure why you would want it for registration but you might want it for insurance coverage. You want DMV to be convinced it is a Kawasaki that has a trike accessory on it and you want your insurance to know it is a factory trike conversion.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
David Davis

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
David Davis
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png