Car tire on the front ?

Nov 2, 2014
Stow, Ohio USA
I've read posts referring to mounting a rear tire on the front of a trike. But has anyone sucessfully mounted a car tire on the front ? I have a '10 Road King with a MotorTrike IRS conversion. I will be ready for a new front tire next season (2015) and am curious about the options available.

Regards,

ed

I wouldn't even think about it. :AGGHH:

Cavie, do you know if that Avon tire has as much rubber on it like the H-D rear tire??? Or is it just a different tread/composition/design with the same amount of rubber as their front tire? Just curious..

Cavie, do you know if that Avon tire has as much rubber on it like the H-D rear tire??? Or is it just a different tread/composition/design with the same amount of rubber as their front tire? Just curious..

Have no Idea. Just know it is on the market. I have BT45 rear tire running reverse on mine.

I wonder about that sidecar tire that Avon sells? Its squared off like a car tire, but a bit narrow. But, what if a company made an updated version of that tire type to use exclusively on the front of a trike?

Springman

Why not ? On a trike I would think it would be good. But what's the thinking behind mounting a rear tire backwards ? I don't understand.

There is lots of info to be had on the subject of running a rear tire on the front of a trike that you can use the search feature to access.

Basically a rear tire is made of a harder rubber compound, If you take a rear tire (they exact same size as the front tire you take off), turn it (backward rotation) you will get an incredible amount of mileage out of it. your not leaning the bike anymore.

I have around 10,000 on a tire I have run that way and see very little wear and no visible cupping. It's a Dunlop elite.

It rides a might harder than a front tire but it handles all weather and road conditions with no problem, when I finally wear it out I will do the same again.

I've read posts referring to mounting a rear tire on the front of a trike. But has anyone sucessfully mounted a car tire on the front ? I have a '10 Road King with a MotorTrike IRS conversion. I will be ready for a new front tire next season (2015) and am curious about the options available.

Regards,

ed

Here is some info on another thread that I came across regarding a rear motorcycle tire on the front.

paperclip.png
Attached Files

</fieldset>

I wonder about that sidecar tire that Avon sells? Its squared off like a car tire, but a bit narrow. But, what if a company made an updated version of that tire type to use exclusively on the front of a trike?

Springman

Avon has a tire made for the front of a trike.

- - - Updated - - -

Springman

Avon has a tire made for the front of a trike.

- - - Updated - - -

Why not ? On a trike I would think it would be good. But what's the thinking behind mounting a rear tire backwards ? I don't understand.

Grab some popcorn and a beer. Do a search and you will find hours of reading. Probably still won't understand when your done. I just decided that if someone get 30,000 miles from a backwards mounted tire who am I to argue!!

Same reason I wouldn't use a car oil filter on a bike - or oil for that matter.

The rear tire has thicker rubber then a front tire. Mounting it in reverse is because of the diagonal splice and the pressures put on it depending on the location.

I attempted to use a ct on the front. I was unable to find something that would work.
I have used a taxi tire on the front with no problems and it lasted forever it seemed like.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Semiringeye

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Semiringeye
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png