Champion rear braking

Reaction score
Hi..I have a 2005 Champion trike kit for my 2005 Goldwing. I put new tires and pads on both rear wheels and bled the system very thoroughly. The braking improved quite a bit. However, what I did notice is that when I step down really hard, the left wheel locks up, but the right wheel does not. It does this consistently. I even noticed it before the new pads, bleeding and tires. Road condition is dry at all times. What can be the issue with this uneven braking? Thanks

An update--I just both two new calipers and now it brakes like it should. I was going to do a rebuild, but the trike is 10 years old, so I decided it needed a birthday present:). Now it brakes like it should and both wheels squeel at the same time.

Rear Brakes

I have a 2008 Goldwing Champion trike. Does anyone know what brake pads go on the rear? Called champion and they said that they had special pads that I could order for $75 and with shipping $88.20.

I have a 2008 Goldwing Champion trike. Does anyone know what brake pads go on the rear? Called champion and they said that they had special pads that I could order for $75 and with shipping $88.20.

Sorry do not know what pads they used, but I would try a parts store that is willing to compare what you have with their manuals and see whats looks the same. Possibly some type of VW pad. Can not hurt to try. I have good luck with NAPA help.

Rear brakes lock up

Have a 2008 Honda Goldwing Champion Trike, now on two occasions with considerable distance in between I have been going down the road and the trike seems to lose power, first time actually stopped in middle of road and the next time I made it to the side of the road. Brake on right side was extremely hot both times, thank goodness my husband got on the line and cracked the brake line a little and then I was good to go.

Has anyone had this problem with their Champion trike rear brakes and if so what did they do to correct it.

Help!

Thanks

Glenda

I can't explain it only being on the right but I think there was several updates for brakes on 1800 for brake dragging/locking up.Might be worth checking into_Otherwise a complete brake fluid flush front and rear might be a good place to start.

Have a 2008 Honda Goldwing Champion Trike, now on two occasions with considerable distance in between I have been going down the road and the trike seems to lose power, first time actually stopped in middle of road and the next time I made it to the side of the road. Brake on right side was extremely hot both times, thank goodness my husband got on the line and cracked the brake line a little and then I was good to go.

Has anyone had this problem with their Champion trike rear brakes and if so what did they do to correct it.

Help!

Thanks

Glenda

I can't explain it only being on the right but I think there was several updates for brakes on 1800 for brake dragging/locking up.Might be worth checking into_Otherwise a complete brake fluid flush front and rear might be a good place to start.

Check out this website to see if a recall is needed.

https://www.nhtsa.gov/vehicle/2001/HONDA/GL1800

03/28/21 update: Champion conversions generally bypass the front brake entirely so I suspect your issue is with the rear M/C or pedal free-play adjustment.

The pressure buildup is caused by either the main mastercylinder or the secondary mastercylinder unit (on the left front fork) not allowing the release of pressure back into the M/C reservoir.

The recall addresses this issue and should be done.

There is another possibility though, the brake pedal free-play. The pedal must move easily and allowed to return to the stop totally. There must be free-play. Some try to gain advantage over the brake operation by moving the pedal on the spline by one notch, this will sometime eliminate the free-play.

03/28/21 update: In a very hidden location of the GL1800 Factory Service Manual there is an important adjustment that needs to be verified. I don't know if this procedure is followed during the Recall Procedure. I had a 2008 conversion (Lehman) that demonstrated a similar behavior and found that the linked brake secondary mastercylinder had a specific adjustment specification. I measured the adjustment and found that mine was 72-73mm, while the factory called for 69mm. I immediately checked brake operation after making the re-adjustment and found that almost all detectable brake drag had been removed. !!

GL1800 SMC ADJ.jpg

If a rider rides with their foot touching the brake, this can also cause the same condition.

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wheeza
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png