• It appears that you have unread Personal Messages - Please check your inbox!

windshield vent

Reaction score
Looking for opinions on windshield vents. I'm getting ready to order a new windshield for my 93 GW trike , I think its the original shield, with no vent. Thing is I didn't get it till Oct.so I don't know if the vent is worth the extra money, might feel good in July! As a side note lm 6'7 so I pretty much look over the top. I think lm going to order 3in.taller shield but not the Tulsa because I have read so much about taller guys hitting their heads. Thx for ur opinions!

I wouldn't have the stock shield, any height, without the vent. In the summer it can blow air directly in your face. Mainly, it helps break the vacuum behind the windshield reducing the buffeting on you and passenger.

IMHO, the F4 is the only way to go. I wouldn't have a shield with a vent. They give you very little relief and are only good for a bug catcher. I've had a couple of stock shields with vents and couldn't wait to switch them out. The stock windshield is much too thin and scratches very easily. Besides, it is way over priced. Like I said, just IMHO.

I personally would not buy a new windshield without the vent. It certainly - on mine - gives you air when open. I have gotten bugs splattered in it several times but they weren't that hard to remove.
I just bought a Spyder and plan on putting a vent in it.
Just my 2c worth,
Enjoy your ride!
Tip

Ky, I'm glad you asked this question. I'm doing something similar, but in reverse. I have an Electra Glide and bought a Wing vent to try to install in my windshield. Not too concerned about messing it up as another new shield for my bike is (sit down now) $38 shipped to my door. I get them in 3 days from Fast Aire.com but not sure if they make them for Honda. Hope so. Good luck with your project.

Have used these replacement shields on two previous bikes.

Phu Cat

I've had extra tall Tulsa's clear with vents for years.
Never bumped my head on it but got tired of the rain coming over the top and on my lap.
I went to the F4+4 clear with vent and love it. Wouldn't have any other brand.

Looking for opinions on windshield vents. I'm getting ready to order a new windshield for my 93 GW trike , I think its the original shield, with no vent. Thing is I didn't get it till Oct.so I don't know if the vent is worth the extra money, might feel good in July! As a side note lm 6'7 so I pretty much look over the top. I think lm going to order 3in.taller shield but not the Tulsa because I have read so much about taller guys hitting their heads. Thx for ur opinions!

IMO vents are WELL WORTH the money. Really help in the summer. RIDE SAFE

Update, I decided on a show chrome windshield that I got from wingstuff, I did get the vent but haven't really got to try it out. What I do like is that it is 3in.taller and 2in.wider. Being 6'7 the extra height is great and the shield is very quiet . I think the vent will be great in the heat, also when the vent is closed there's holes that let air flow up the inside of the shield which cuts down on buffeting. Thx for all of your advice. That's what I like about this site, all the great advice!

I think you will like the vent. Not so much today at -7 degrees but this summer you will be glad you got it.

Got a new windshield with no vent and didn't like it, missed the air in summer and ability to break the buffeting behind the windshield. My next shield had the vent and I'll be sticking with vents from now on.

Currently have F4+2 tinted, no vent and love it. Clear, water runs off of it,easy to clean, can raise it and lower it. Have had windshields with and without vents, On wing and other makes.. Found one with vent can break,open/close lever bearing/spring..tend to leak in heavy rains..Ones without, no issues..

You can get just vents at eglidegoodies.com ... universal fit .. put one in my 2001 1800's shield I have a plastic shop cut the hole ... me and straight lines don't go together

Vent, no vent. Seems windshield vents are like Corbin seats. Folks love them or hate then, there is no in between. Like the vent on our GL1800 wit a V-Stream windshield.
I wanted a vent on our former trike, a GL1500, but was too broke to get a new shield and wasn't too keen on cutting a rectangular hole in the Tulsa windshield that was on the trike when we got it for a stock 1500 vent. I ended up using aviation snap vents, like the round vents on the old Vetter fairings. I got mine on line from an aircraft supply site, it was less expensive than the site that sells Vetter replacement parts. Used a hole saw to carefully cut the round holes in the windshield for the vents. The vents worked well, very adjustable for airflow and easy to install.

I agree with dogman, I have had vents in 3 shields and all they do for me is let hot air in and lots of bugs, never going back to a vent, I also installed the f4 with tent, LOVE it

Glad ya'll brought this subject up - reminded me I needed to replace my windshield.
I'm ordering the F4+2 Tinted Vent-installed.
I like to look through my windshield, not over it. I know, most people are the opposite.
I don't find the vent allows much air in - the air seems to "die" about half-way between the vent and the driver - but it does help to break the vacuum when its cracked open.
Years ago I had a tinted shield - loved it except at night. It wasn't BAD at night, just not as "bright" as I preferred to have at night.
After that all shields were clear.
We very rarely ride at night now so I hope to love the tint again.
Come on Spring !!!

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Glockjock
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png