getting on and off

Jim, I have the greatest respect for you guys, and how you accomplish in life us "other" folks just take for granted. Was at Harbor Freight couple Saturdays ago, guy came wheeling out to his 'high truck', I thought about it, and asked if I could help. Of course he said, "no, thanks, I got it". I suppose it was the wrong thing to do, but seems human nature to give it a try.

i am a though the knee amputee which means long stump and no knee. this thing is very heavy and seems long to me. so far i can't do steps and when sitting on my bike the leg contacts the left side of the gas tank not allowing me to get my foot on the foot board. shifting is not going to happen with this leg. would like to see pic's of any setups for shifting anyone has or any advice. really like the leg in the first pic.

Jim, I have the greatest respect for you guys, and how you accomplish in life us "other" folks just take for granted. Was at Harbor Freight couple Saturdays ago, guy came wheeling out to his 'high truck', I thought about it, and asked if I could help. Of course he said, "no, thanks, I got it". I suppose it was the wrong thing to do, but seems human nature to give it a try.

Bill, while we are "all different," I for one never mind being asked, but will always respectfully decline as I have simply gone about my life being as independent as I can. I "look for solutions," as compared to complaining about what I can't do. Never wrong to ask my good friend.

i am a though the knee amputee which means long stump and no knee. this thing is very heavy and seems long to me. so far i can't do steps and when sitting on my bike the leg contacts the left side of the gas tank not allowing me to get my foot on the foot board. shifting is not going to happen with this leg. would like to see pic's of any setups for shifting anyone has or any advice. really like the leg in the first pic.

I'm just wondering. Having read all of our posts, I see that you mentioned many times when you joined that you are an "above knee" amputee, but now mention "through knee." I ask, because this might make a "bit" of difference. The sockets for through knee are a bit bulkier then if you were a AKA. Those sockets, after final fitting, tend to be smaller in size.

Two wheeler or trike, you will need to play with the floor board a bit. However, on a Trike, if you get running boards, you would not have the same constraints of foot placement. I do know of some who as a AKA still shift their bikes using the prosthetic, most do however go with an electric shifter.

The fellow in the picture is a true AKA on his left side and has what is by today's standards, a typical "leg." As you can see, the right leg is a "through knee" (TK).

i didn't know they was a big difference between the two. i was thinking above the knee would be better as the knee would be equal to the other one. i still have the top knuckle part of knee because i have had a hip replacement and the long stem metal into my bone, so they couldn't get it off higher. i think i'm just kind of in a panic wanting to ride again and it's not looking good. sure would like a right side tank shifter setup for a trike. i gotta learn to walk on this thing first.

If you're getting a trike and the Pingle shifter, your troubles are over. You said that you just got the leg. Well, it takes some time to get your footing so to speak. I got my leg in July and didn't/couldn't ride till the end of the year and that was a bit limited. By the following spring, I was riding my RoadKing anywhere I pleased.

It's going to take a bit of practice, and rehab to walk much less anything else. As you acclimate yourself to the new leg and you strengthen whatever needs strengthening up and get stretched out whatever needs stretching through whatever exercises and rehab you may have. Then you will be able to throw your leg over the bike and ride. You don't have to hold it up, you just sit on it and ride and you'll be able to figure out a method to get on and sit on it. You still have your arms and that's what you'll need more than your left leg to be able to ride a trike.

I gotta say (and hope i don't offend anyone) I have a hard time getting on and off my trike ... and I have both legs ... gonna try the method in the vid ... I do have bad knees ... I find the trike harder, because it doesn't lean ... I'm getting tired of the grab the pant chicken dance ... gonna try the method in the vid ... I have soooooo much respect for you guys that "look for solutions rather than complain about what they can't do"

(thanks to wheels for the delicate way to put it)

Again ... hope I didn't offed ... I have a way of chewing on my toes

i didn't know they was a big difference between the two. i was thinking above the knee would be better as the knee would be equal to the other one. i still have the top knuckle part of knee because i have had a hip replacement and the long stem metal into my bone, so they couldn't get it off higher. i think i'm just kind of in a panic wanting to ride again and it's not looking good. sure would like a right side tank shifter setup for a trike. i gotta learn to walk on this thing first.

I've had double hip replacements, and anyone has had one, know you can abuse a side or awkward movement, and a possible dislocation could occur, from experience, that is way painful and a trip to ER. That's one of those don't ask me things. I can mount my Road Smith by throwing my right leg up straight and 'over the seat', I have the back rest so over that is not an option. A dismount is done with the left foot, and a chicken dance backwards as someone put it. I recently did a Traxxion spring upgrade in the front forks, this raised the front almost 1.5", that was no help in mounting the beast. I continue to explore different ways to do that.

I've had double hip replacements, and anyone has had one, know you can abuse a side or awkward movement, and a possible dislocation could occur, from experience, that is way painful and a trip to ER. That's one of those don't ask me things. I can mount my Road Smith by throwing my right leg up straight and 'over the seat', I have the back rest so over that is not an option. A dismount is done with the left foot, and a chicken dance backwards as someone put it. I recently did a Traxxion spring upgrade in the front forks, this raised the front almost 1.5", that was no help in mounting the beast. I continue to explore different ways to do that.

Hi, I have installed the Trike Mid-Step on a customers trike because he had to pull a step stool out of his trunk. When I was done his wife was able to get on with ease and told him to throw the step stool away. She had hip problems and was so happy with it. This is a picture of them on their trike. Thanks Tom

Gary Hopkins.jpg

1798322_1427384867501013_204275061_n.jpeg

. . . A dismount is done with the left foot, and a chicken dance backwards as someone put it. I recently did a Traxxion spring upgrade in the front forks, this raised the front almost 1.5", that was no help in mounting the beast. I continue to explore different ways to do that.

Bill, I have a suggestion that would work.......................................but you would be required to have all your pants legs altered. :cxtv:;):cool::Joker3::Dorag:

Really hope that we can cross paths within the next couple weeks. Be well my friend.

i've already made my mind up that i'm going with a trike, hate to spend the money only to find out i can't ride the thing. going to use the pingel electric shifter,but need to figure how to get on and off. any thoughts on any of this,how to shift, get on and off or ways to keep fake foot on the floorboard.

I'm just the opposite (right above knee) and I went with a trike as well. What I do is reach down and grab my right ankle with my right hand the handle bar with my left hand and then lift the leg high enough to clear and then pivot on my left foot and swing the leg over.
When I first got a trike I tried different methods but this seems to work the best for me.

As far as keeping your prosthetic foot on the flooboard I had posted a pic in reply to one of your questions on another thread, works for me.
Red

I'm just the opposite (right above knee) and I went with a trike as well. What I do is reach down and grab my right ankle with my right hand the handle bar with my left hand and then lift the leg high enough to clear and then pivot on my left foot and swing the leg over.
When I first got a trike I tried different methods but this seems to work the best for me.

As far as keeping your prosthetic foot on the flooboard I had posted a pic in reply to one of your questions on another thread, works for me.
Red

LOL ... If I could reach my ankle I'd jump for joy.

- - - Updated - - -

If I could jump

You know ... the bottom line ... we all figure out what it is we have to do to ride ... whatever our personal issues are ... we all wanna be in the saddle .. you gotta love that ... and I am glad of one other thing ... I've read lots of threads about this same thing, all the titles sound dirty ... "mounting the beast" ... "mounting the trike" ... etc,

This one doesn't ... "getting on and off" ... wait ... yes it does :AGGHH:

getting off trike

my knees do not bend very much, I get on one side and off the other..well getting off is really a chore lately and I actually fell.. looking at that midstep but too much money, any other suggestions out there from anyone.. thanx

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PERuss

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PERuss
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png