Old Battery vs New Battery

Baldy_54

1750+ Posts
Reaction score
Have an 05 Honda Trike with Lehman Kit original battery lasted over 7 years and was replaced only because of age, never touched it with a charger or tender. New battery identical to the one taken out 2.5 years old would not start, it tried to start but all the lights pulled it down. I guess the new batteries are not as good as the old ones. Why didn't Honda put a switch in so you could start your bike before turning the lights on>> Cheap Cheap. Guess I need to get a tender from now on.

Seven years is rare on a battery. Wishing I could get that on mine. RIDE SAFE

Have an 05 Honda Trike with Lehman Kit original battery lasted over 7 years and was replaced only because of age, never touched it with a charger or tender. New battery identical to the one taken out 2.5 years old would not start, it tried to start but all the lights pulled it down. I guess the new batteries are not as good as the old ones. Why didn't Honda put a switch in so you could start your bike before turning the lights on>> Cheap Cheap. Guess I need to get a tender from now on.

Most bikes the lights do turn off when you hit the starter button.. That said battery's are mysterious black boxes.. In my club between all of us we have at least 20 ATC's, ATV's and Side-bys All makes, And we find that the battery that came with the new machine will last a few years , Once it has to be replaced the new battery will only last about a year or two.. I think with us at least 'as the machines get older they draw more juice though the wires just setting still.. [Voltage leaking] :Shrug:

Just like I use to do on my boats, I replace battery every 3-4 yrs no matter how well they seem to be working. Batteries will let you down at the worst times, rather it in the middle of the river with a barge coming at you, or on a back country roads with nothing around you for miles..Batteries you get what you pay for!...Always use a tender during winter months. Ride Safe

Check your battery connections. Don't just tighten. Remove and clean. Tighten with a wrench, not a screw driver. Find your ground connection to the frame. Remove and clean. Battery's are the most misunderstood thing on a motorcycle. These machines are not flashlights. Don't know what type Honda you have but on my VTX the lights go out first then the starter engages. If you have added aux lights this is not happening with them. you need to add a relay. You should get five years out of a battery.

Attachments

• VTX done 006.JPG
    VTX done 006.JPG
    208.4 KB · Views: 140
Im lucky if any battery lasts over 3 years here in Florida.
Ive lost count in my 18 year old beater.
Most bikes 2+ maybe 3 years.
That's vehicles driven all year long.
So far OEM YUSA is holding up well in the 2010 GW. 4+ years.
But when the time comes it will be a lithium for me.
A Battery Tender or Shorai for me depending on my fundage at the time.
Since both of my bikes use the same size, a 20 group. It will be more then likely the 540+ CCA Shorai.
A friend has one and it spins the heck out of the bike at startup. But he also has a ton of LEDs on his bike.

Seven years is rare on a battery. Wishing I could get that on mine. RIDE SAFE

I checked and it is a typo it was more like 6.8 years not 7. Will be sure to buy a tender for this battery.

I've had best luck with Deka brand than any other. I've heard they make batteries for HD. Anyway, you can find them from many suppliers... just Google "deka batteries" for best prices. Initial charge is very important... use a Battery Tender brand or equivalent. Also use a good Di-electric geese on terminals and connectors when installing.

When I worked at Sears back in my dumber days a battery rep told me there wasn't a car battery made that would last over 3 years on average. I ask him why the Die Hard was warrantied for 6 years. He had go go someplace so that said I agree 3 years is about the max some last longer some less.

Baldy some times with batteries strange things happen. A lot of times you can try taking your terminals sanding them clean and putting them back together and your battery will act like a new battery. Just make sure you coat them with di-electric grease after you put them together. Ive seen this happen a number of times on bikes. A good battery tender will help extend the life of the battery. With the wing when you hit the starter the headlights drop off until the bike starts and in the 1800s case it takes about 20-30 seconds for the alternator to come online after starting.

Just like I use to do on my boats, I replace battery every 3-4 yrs no matter how well they seem to be working. Batteries will let you down at the worst times, rather it in the middle of the river with a barge coming at you, or on a back country roads with nothing around you for miles..Batteries you get what you pay for!...Always use a tender during winter months. Ride Safe

You are exactly right! I change mine out every three years because I've seen guys have a battery go dead out West and they are 150 miles from a new one. Not worth the hassle just to get another year and save a little over 15 bucks.

Perhaps my situation is unique: I bought my 2006 1800 in 2010 from the original owner who had kept meticulous records of everything concerning that bike, from maintenance to parts to addons.

I specifically asked him about battery replacement and he told me it still had the original battery that Honda installed. I figured that after four years I was looking at a battery replacement in the very near future. I bought a Battery Bug and hooked it up where I could see it every time I got on the bike. As the Bug continued to show about 75% I did not buy a new battery.

About four months ago the Bug indicated that original battery was down to 25% but still fired the bike up immediately - no lag, no hesitation. But after eight years of use, prudence directed replacement. And with that kind of reliability I bought the exact same make and model I was replacing.

I believe at least some of the charging system problems in general come from pushing batteries as far as they will absolutely go.And no I have no data to back it up but have observed on several occasions charging system repairs being made and a short time later the battery goes completely.I do agree wiith buying a better battery last one I replaced I was able to find a Yuasa for a competetive price with the off brands so time will tell if it was a good decision.

I replaced the original battery in our '06 1800 last spring; almost a year ago.
It was still working fine, but after that many years, I just didn't trust it out on the road, especially on a long trip. I went back with the exact same battery that came out.

I've noticed my 2010 sounds like it's cranking slower, I'm thinking about getting a new battery before we get completely in to riding season. I Have an Autozone battery in my old VW Bug that is in it's 8th year, I keep thinking it's going to fail at any time, only reason I haven't changed it is to see just how long it will really go.

I have a 2006 Chev. HHR still on its original smaller footprint battery ....... 9 years and I've been worried the past 4 winters. I think this is the year for a change...

A little off the topic. My shed it to far for me to put my Trike battery on a tender, unless I take the battery out and into the basement. Have 2 deep cycle Trolling batteries in the basement and they have been on 2 tenders for 2 years.

Wonder what will happen when I take them out on the fishing boat? May not get me away from the pier. Better take a new deep cycle battery with me to be on the safe side. The boat does not have oar locks and would not want to try to row that thing back to shore.

. Have 2 deep cycle Trolling batteries in the basement and they have been on 2 tenders for 2 years. Wonder what will happen when I take them out on the fishing boat?

I find that the more I worry about things the less likely they are to happen...ThumbUp
Its the things that I don't worry about ' That worry me the most.....:D

I've had best luck with Deka brand than any other. I've heard they make batteries for HD. Anyway, you can find them from many suppliers... just Google "deka batteries" for best prices. Initial charge is very important... use a Battery Tender brand or equivalent. Also use a good Di-electric geese on terminals and connectors when installing.

:Agree: Deka makes, IMO, the best MC batteries out there. I buy mine from Battery Mart. Fast delivery that most of the time includes shipping.

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wheeza
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png