Driveshaft Removal Help Please

grumpy

Aug 28, 2010
Colorado Springs, CO USA
'95 GL1500 SE with a Lehman conversion of unknown vintage. The OEM boot is attached to the engine & swingarm so that the front u-joint/yoke is enclosed as on the original two wheel set up. At the rear u-joint the splined drive shaft is inserted into the yoke with a set screw. To hold it in place? My question is what is the procedure to pull the driveshaft so I can inspect the front u-joint & grease the splines? Do I need to loosen/remove the set screw? Will that give me enough slack? Or does the yoke need to be unbolted from the diff as well? Is there more that needs to be loosened/removed? Is there any chance that I can get the old boot back on or should I get a new one before I start?

I know on a Valkyrie a new boot makes the install a WHOLE lot easier. An additional question is does anyone know how to determine the year/model of the kit? As always, TIA for your help. Stan

'95 GL1500 SE with a Lehman conversion of unknown vintage. The OEM boot is attached to the engine & swingarm so that the front u-joint/yoke is enclosed as on the original two wheel set up. At the rear u-joint the splined drive shaft is inserted into the yoke with a set screw. To hold it in place? My question is what is the procedure to pull the driveshaft so I can inspect the front u-joint & grease the splines? Do I need to loosen/remove the set screw? Will that give me enough slack? Or does the yoke need to be unbolted from the diff as well? Is there more that needs to be loosened/removed? Is there any chance that I can get the old boot back on or should I get a new one before I start?

I know on a Valkyrie a new boot makes the install a WHOLE lot easier. An additional question is does anyone know how to determine the year/model of the kit? As always, TIA for your help. Stan

I've never worked on any trike but my Champion kit but I'm guessing you must disconnect both ends and remove the shaft completely. Kust as you would on any car. As for the kit call or email Lehman and they will tell you where to look for the SER# on the trike kit. Click on the Lehman ad on the right side of this page.

Getting frustrated with this. :gah: cavie- I tried both your suggestions. Called Lehman & was told "tech is gone for the day, will have someone call you". Never heard back. Sent e-mail from their site. No response. Seems to me there is someone on here that is associated with Lehman?? Anyone know who that is? I guess I could just tear into it & hope for the best. Sure would appreciate some help with this. Stan

Getting frustrated with this. :gah: cavie- I tried both your suggestions. Called Lehman & was told "tech is gone for the day, will have someone call you". Never heard back. Sent e-mail from their site. No response. Seems to me there is someone on here that is associated with Lehman?? Anyone know who that is? I guess I could just tear into it & hope for the best. Sure would appreciate some help with this. Stan

Where is this set screw located??

Only thing I can think of it's a screw where a zurk fitting goes to grease the u-joint. I'm assuming you have 4 bolts holding the drive shaft to the rear end??? If you do, just remove them and pull the drive shaft back off the spines. That's the way most drive shafts work. I will say Champion will answer the phone and emails.

Their website no longer lists kits for the 1500 but there are 2 dealers in Colorado you might call / if they have been installing a while they should know the answers your seeking:

cavie - the set screw is in the front portion of the rear yoke where the splined end of the driveshaft is inserted. The yoke is part of/welded to the diff. The u-joint is held in by two u-bolts. I know how to separate it all, but don't want to disassemble more than is needed. I don't think u-joints should be messed with unless necessary. Lose one of those needles & "now you've done it"!! solidbob - thanks, I will give those guys a call. Stan

Never did get a complete answer from any source. Solidbob, one of the dealers you listed did respond with a guess but he "wasn't sure". Then the pinion seal started leaking so the rear u-joint had to be removed for the repair so I just dove in. Not too bad once I got the pinion nut broke loose. Never seen a nut put on that tight in my entire life! :mad: On anything!! Oh well, I won eventually & the front u-joint, the reason I wanted to pull the driveshaft down in the first place, seems to be fine. Thanks all for your help. Stan

Stan i'm sorry I realize this isn't a new thread but I just saw it.I believe the forum member you were thinking of is Lee H Mann.Glad you got it figured out.

I see that you have found a solution to your problem. I too just saw your thread or I would have directed you to Gene Wright at Crossroads Trikes in Salt Lake City,Ut. He is a sponsor here and their staff has been in the trike business for a long time.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Markh853

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Markh853
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png