• It appears that you have unread Personal Messages - Please check your inbox!

small 12v. air compressor in trunk for blowing up trike tires ?

d.mehrl

Reaction score
small 12v. air compressor in trunk for blowing up trike tires ?

Anyone keep a small 12v. air compressor in trunk in case of flat tire ? If so, what kind, and where do you plug it in, cig lighter or acc. switch pigtail under seat ?

Re: small 12v. air compressor in trunk for blowing up trike tires ?

I keep a small 12 volt one in trunk and plug it into the 12 plug under seat that Harley provided.
I have carried a pump in all of my bikes & tire patch kit for over 30 years and only need to use it twice.
Lee

One of the reasons I have road side assistance, but there are a lot of inexpensive small 12v compressors out there.

I too have road side ... but we have lots of places out here that even the cell phone doesn't work ..

I have 4 4" x 12" canvas bags that I keep in the floor of the trunk with tools ... a little habit I picked up from my BMW days is to only work on my ride with tools from those bags .. if I find I need something that is not in the bags I evaluate the need/frequency of use and if needed add it to the bags ... the bags take up only about an inch of the trunk space by about half the trunk ... in there is also a mini compressor and patch kit ... I'm considering a 2 gallon roto pax gas can on the other side of the trunk floor ...

I have 12v bought from walmart
cut the cig lighter end off and spliced two prong that will plug into tricke charger pig tail. I've had it for years for all bikes it's in the trunk of trike but I should check to see if it still works and I bet it would take awhile to get air in rear tires.
i have had two flats on bikes in 40 years. Once in my garage and the other I felt the rear going down and I was less than two blocks from harley dealer who fixed it right away. So I guess I'm due for another !
hap

I keep one in the tour pac bought from Harley. Works ok and keep a pump for the shocks also. Have tools in the truck that I think that I will need along with the tire patch kit. Also have road assistance.

We have the same air pump shown in the link... It is seldom used but works great and takes up almost no space at all. Recommend it (or similar)... ThumbUp

Got a 'Wal Mart' special and a plug kit. Fixed a flat rear tire at Yellowstone last year, and a front tire on the Tri the year before in Nevada. I have it, the plug kit, a small jack and some other tools in an old briefcase I kept in the trunk Only used up 2" of floor space. Now in wife's Tri, not much room in my Freewheeler trunk.

Hint: it takes a L O N G time for the little thing to blow up a rear tire. If the bead breaks you are out of luck, they don't produce enough air to reseal the bead.

Another Hint: Like Mike said, a road assist. card and a high limit credit card are a must on long trips.

I carry a Slime compressor and a plug kit for my riding friends.
I installed RideOn in my tires so, I've never needed the compressor myself.

BTW, for Hapbob, that wired his to plug into the battery maintainer harness:
You might want to check the size fuse you have in that harness! Most of those I know about come with 5amp fuses. Most compressors I know of carry 20amp fuses:AGGHH:

... If the bead breaks you are out of luck, they don't produce enough air to reseal the bead. ...

that is what starting fluid(or any flammable spray) and a match is for!!! :AGGHH::gah::confused::Shrug: :D:wave4:

should only be attempted by trained technicians ThumbUp

Another Hint: Like Mike said, a road assist. card and a high limit credit card are a must on long trips.

Hmmmm ... the high limit credit card is definitely a Harley thing ... even if it's just for T-shirts.

that is what starting fluid(or any flammable spray) and a match is for!!! :AGGHH::gah::confused::Shrug: :D:wave4:

Have done this several times on ATV tires out in the boonies...:clapping:

8~\o

And a ratchet strap tighten around the treads of the tire.. That's what's called a Caveman repair...
Hair spray works also, Like with a Potato Gun...

Anyone keep a small 12v. air compressor in trunk in case of flat tire ? If so, what kind, and where do you plug it in, cig lighter or acc. switch pigtail under seat ?

I used to keep a small compressor in the trunk on trips. I could plug it into the cig lighter mounted on the handlebars.

Now I have a MacAir, and I can just hit the switch on the dash to activate it for shock adjustment OR airing up the tires with the external air-port.

Switch.jpg

Kevin

I carry my Craftsman 19.2 volt compressor that is part of my full kit of tools from the shop. I like that I can set the pressure I want and it shuts off automatically when it reaches that pressure.

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Glockjock
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png