trike steering help please!

suzukispud2015

Feb 22, 2015
kent, swanley
hello, i am a new member but hadnt had a chance to introduce myself as i have been ill, i have a suzuki gs1000 trike convertion, today i was test riding it and found that the steering feels as if you are being pulled side to side quite violetly, this starts at almost no speed at all causing you to be pulled into the path (luckily it was the path rather than a parked car haha)
there arent any steering dampers on the trike, there isnt any visible the the front wheel or to the frame.
any help asap would be greatly appreciated as i want to get out on my trike as soon as i can :)

Reactions: xlt
My new tri glide was my first trike ... the first couple times riding it I had the feeling I was "out of control" also ... I'm not saying what you feel is normal, but, it is a different beast. I'd have it checked out by a qualified service tech or at a minimum, but someone who is experienced riding trikes ...

On my Tri, i feel like I have to "muscle" the bike into and out of turns ... hope this helps ... I would definitely get it checked out ... if it's okay ... take it to a large empty parking lot and practice doing figure eights ... really helped me get used to the trike.

Good Luck and Be Safe

Reactions: xlt
yes, you probably need a steering damper on your bike. Triglides have 'em. happens with short wheel base conversions I'm told. Goldwings don't use 'em. my VTX doesn't either. Rake kit is a must. Power steering.

I've been "triking" with a '94 Kaw. Vulcan 1500 with a tow-pac for a bit over two years and 10,000 miles now. It has been my experience that a little head shake is fairly normal. If it's really bad it could be a tire pressure issue, a lost wheel weight, worn out tires or even a mechanical problem in the steering. Mine does not have a rake kit and it steers really easy, with just slight pressure required to make most turns. I have found that higher speed or sharper turns require increased effort however.
I just recently got new tires on the bike (Pirelli) and they are internally balanced with Dyna Beads. So far they seem to have eliminated all head shake.
As others have suggested; find an empty parking lot and experiment a bit with turns, figure 8's etc and as you go along it will get more comfortable. I feel really comfortable on mine; but it did take several hundred miles.

So now the bike has a stator malfunction... Is this complicated on a Vulcan 750 cruiser (2006)..��

Stator change on a VN750 isnt a lot of fun. You have to remove the motor from the frame. Check out VN750.com, you will find a lot of good info there.

Another thing to check is the tree bearing adjustment. Lift the front wheel off the ground and check for play in the forks.

I've seen "Rake Kit" mentioned a couple times in this thread. Don't I remember that "Rake Kits" are a huge no no for bikes with Voyager kits installed? :xszpv::xszpv:

Stator change on a VN750 isnt a lot of fun. You have to remove the motor from the frame. Check out VN750.com, you will find a lot of good info there.

Go into this job with "your eyes wide open". 1200 Gold Wings are famous for stator problems - also requires engine removal. For the Wing (round numbers) $100 for the part and $1500 to put it in. We had a quote from a reliable shop ahead of time, so we knew what was coming. Has worked great ever since. Hopefully your engine removal might be less "involved" than our GL1200 was... Best wishes!

What kind of conversion do you have? Is it 2 wheels added to the rear or is it a true trike conversion? They do handle a little differently. My Kawasaki Voyager with the Motor Trike conversion does not require a steering damper or rake kit (Easy Steer). I do notice a bit of a wobble if I don't keep the front tire around 40 - 42 lbs psi.

steering problem

hello, i am a new member but hadnt had a chance to introduce myself as i have been ill, i have a suzuki gs1000 trike convertion, today i was test riding it and found that the steering feels as if you are being pulled side to side quite violetly, this starts at almost no speed at all causing you to be pulled into the path (luckily it was the path rather than a parked car haha)
there arent any steering dampers on the trike, there isnt any visible the the front wheel or to the frame.
any help asap would be greatly appreciated as i want to get out on my trike as soon as i can :)
I have a C-90 with a Lehman conversion. It steered hard for me until I had a raked triple tree installed. It made a big differance in the steering. Jim

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PERuss

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PERuss
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png