Rear Brake Relocation

Apr 15, 2014
Walled Lake, MI US
Hi All,
I know I haven't been very active on the forum since joining, didn't do to much riding last year.

I'm in the process of trading by current trike (Lehman Storm) in for one of the new HD Freewheelers. I had the rear brake moved to the left side (RAKA) so that I could use my left foot for shifting and braking by an Indian dealer in Ohio, he did a great job and it works great. Any buddy out there know of any shops in the SE Michigan area that could do this same mod to a Freewheeler? Trying to find somebody closer to my home.

Thanks for any replies,
Red

Hi All,
I know I haven't been very active on the forum since joining, didn't do to much riding last year.

I'm in the process of trading by current trike (Lehman Storm) in for one of the new HD Freewheelers. I had the rear brake moved to the left side (RAKA) so that I could use my left foot for shifting and braking by an Indian dealer in Ohio, he did a great job and it works great. Any buddy out there know of any shops in the SE Michigan area that could do this same mod to a Freewheeler? Trying to find somebody closer to my home.

Thanks for any replies,
Red

Found a shop up near Petoskey, MI that was able to perform the mod I needed.
Maxwell Brothers Cycle Shop fabricated and installed a linkage system that connected the rear brake to a left foot brake pedal that turned out GREAT!!
When it was ready to be picked up I couldn't get up there until the following weekend, the owner said he would come in on a Sunday (they are closed Sundays) so that I could pick it up. When I arrive on Sunday Dennis (owner), Dick and Pat (fabricator and mechanics) were all there to make sure that the mod worked for me. Great group of guys and excellent craftsmanship.

Would recommend them to anybody.

Red

glad to hear you found a good shop to do the work you needed and thanks for letting the rest know about them, you never know, it may help someone else in the future.
Ride safe & have fun :pepper: :Trike1:

Maxwell Brothers Cycle Shop fabricated and installed a linkage system that connected the rear brake to a left foot brake pedal that turned out GREAT!!
When it was ready to be picked up I couldn't get up there until the following weekend, the owner said he would come in on a Sunday (they are closed Sundays) so that I could pick it up. When I arrive on Sunday Dennis (owner), Dick and Pat (fabricator and mechanics) were all there to make sure that the mod worked for me. Great group of guys and excellent craftsmanship.

Red

I am currently doing a hand link for a 2015 Freewheeler. I will update the changes when finished.

Red

Great endorsement ... always nice to hear of a company go the extra mile.

Freewheeler hand brake upgrade (downgrade ?)

Your not the only one that wants to hear about any mods that can possibly help others. Modifications they may need to stay on the road are always great to hear about.

The rider is missing his right leg and wants to convert his brakes to hand brake only.
OPTIONS:
K-2 Handbrake
Work with what I have.......:xzqxz:

I initially started with the idea of blocking off the banjo at the foot MC and feed the remaining lines from the hand MC. Harley-Davidson new MC cartridge has a M12X1.0 banjo bolt that is totally different from earlier models without linked brakes. I bought a M12x1.0 dye and made a plug from a 1/2" bolt. ($87.00 for the dye and 1/2 hour to machine the bolt)

Too much brake and not enough MC for 4 disc brake calipers, especially the 6 piston front wheels. Disconnected the 4 piston link to operate 2 pistons on the front left caliper and plugged the other 3 lines. Bled the brakes and have good hand brake feel.

For less than $300.00 and a quart of DOT 4 later he now has a linked hand brake. I spent more time thinking about how than actually doing the job. His alternative was $2500.00 for the K-2.

update

I found this old post and wondered where the pictures were. Here are pictures I found ... sorry for the poor quality.
Triglide 001.jpg

Left front caliper upper port (A) both lines are tied together w/double-banjo bolt. Lower port (B) is plugged. The bleeder needs to be opened with the OEM dust cap installed so heat will not expand the brake and lock it up.
Triglide 002.jpg

Right front caliper (C) both lines are plugged and both bleeders are opened with the OEM dust caps installed so brake won't lock on it's own.
Triglide 003.jpg

Front bottom view of the rear foot brake master cylinder. This is plugged with a 14mm bolt (D) so that fluid will not back feed into the master cylinder. I used copper banjo washers on all connections. Retain old hardware so that it can be reversed.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rogue24

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rogue24
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png