Backrest for my 2007 FLH Champion IRS kit

Dennis Murawski

Apr 15, 2013
Bedford, TX
I just rode my 2007 FLH Champion IRS conversion with its stock saddle to Bikeweek in Daytona (from Dallas) and for the first time I didn't have a duffle bag full of clothes behind me on the passenger seat. The lower muscles in my back got real sore. I went to the Mustang Saddle people at Destination Daytona to purchase a backrest. They removed the seat and concluded that the stock Harley backrest bracket would not fit on my trike. Does anyone know if I can put a backrest on my 2007 Champion conversion?

IMHO, there is no modifications made to the bike in the frame, under the seat, when a trike conversion is added. I have no idea why they would tell you that unless they were trying to sell a new seat with their back rest.
I'd go to an HD dealer and I bet you get your backrest!

Back rest

I just rode my 2007 FLH Champion IRS conversion with its stock saddle to Bikeweek in Daytona (from Dallas) and for the first time I didn't have a duffle bag full of clothes behind me on the passenger seat. The lower muscles in my back got real sore. I went to the Mustang Saddle people at Destination Daytona to purchase a backrest. They removed the seat and concluded that the stock Harley backrest bracket would not fit on my trike. Does anyone know if I can put a backrest on my 2007 Champion conversion?

I have a 2010 FLH with a DFT conversion. I went to the Mustang booth at the race track. They had a bracket that bolted to my frame under the seat. I was able to use their 2 up seat and their adj back rest. My ride and back felt fine. My ride was only back to S. Florida.

My Champion IRS conversion came with brackets for a backrest so maybe the best place to check would be with Champion.

I talked to Bill at Champion and he said those brackets were shipped with the kit to the guy that did my conversion. The problem was, I didn't have a backrest on the bike when I brought it in, so the installer didn't install the brackets. Trike Conversions of Texas shut down their web site and disconnected their phone. Champion is willing to sell me a replacement set at $220 plus shipping (ouch!).

If anyone has a set of these brackets that's not on the trike, could you give me a set of the measurements that would allow me to attempt to make my own brackets?

I love my Champion IRS kit, but Champion really needs to develop a better dealer network. The Dallas / Ft. Worth area doesn't have a single Champion trike installer. The fly-by-night shop that was closest to me (still a couple hundred miles from my house) was run out of a rental storage unit. It a shame that this quality product doesn't have a quality dealer network.

I talked to Bill at Champion and he said those brackets were shipped with the kit to the guy that did my conversion. The problem was, I didn't have a backrest on the bike when I brought it in, so the installer didn't install the brackets. Trike Conversions of Texas shut down their web site and disconnected their phone. Champion is willing to sell me a replacement set at $220 plus shipping (ouch!).

If anyone has a set of these brackets that's not on the trike, could you give me a set of the measurements that would allow me to attempt to make my own brackets?

I love my Champion IRS kit, but Champion really needs to develop a better dealer network. The Dallas / Ft. Worth area doesn't have a single Champion trike installer. The fly-by-night shop that was closest to me (still a couple hundred miles from my house) was run out of a rental storage unit. It a shame that this quality product doesn't have a quality dealer network.

One thing to remember about Champion conversion is that they are one of the most used by self installers. This could be way they don't have the dealer/installer network of say a company like Hanagan that does not usually sell to self installers. Just a thought.

Also may I suggest contact "Papa Zook" he maybe able to help you with the bracket or at least advise you.

backrest

I have the Mustang 2up with backrest on my o2 fatboy with DFT, it works very well, not sure what you are having the problem with, was Mustang no help ?

I have the Mustang 2up with backrest on my o2 fatboy with DFT, it works very well, not sure what you are having the problem with, was Mustang no help ?

In order to attach the backrest bracket to the frame of a Champion kit, you need the special bolt on brackets that attach to the frame. The backrest bracket that both Mustang and Harley use will not fit without them. The folks at Mustang worked very hard to do an install without these brackets and concluded they couldn't do it. The sad thing is I paid for them when I bought the kit and the installer left them sitting on the shelf because I didn't have a backrest on the bike when I brought it in for the conversion. Oh, and after 16,000+ miles, I'm glad I choose the Champion IRS kit.

It's the Champion sissy bar brackets that he does not have and needs.

- - - Updated - - -

Mine is a lot older than yours is. My conversion is on a 2000 Roadking, but talk to Champion and if the brackets are the same regardless of year, I can send you a template of mine if it will help.

One thing to remember about Champion conversion is that they are one of the most used by self installers. This could be way they don't have the dealer/installer network of say a company like Hanagan that does not usually sell to self installers. Just a thought.

Also may I suggest contact "Papa Zook" he maybe able to help you with the bracket or at least advise you.

I'm going to file that information in the folder titled "Now they tell me.." I triked my FLHT after I lost my left leg and left hand. Somehow, single handedly (yes, that's a pun) attempting the conversion wasn't in my cards. After researching design options, I went with Champion and choose their nearest authorized installer. If I were to do it today, I'd still choose Champion but I'd have the install done by a competent local shop. Besides being on Champion's list of dealers, the guy had a great looking web site. I signed the contract without ever seeing his operation because he was over 200 miles from my house.

Web pages be like, "Ignore the man behind the curtain." Trusting - yes, naive - maybe, stupid - I plead the Fifth.

- - - Updated - - -

It's the Champion sissy bar brackets that he does not have and needs.

- - - Updated - - -

Mine is a lot older than yours is. My conversion is on a 2000 Roadking, but talk to Champion and if the brackets are the same regardless of year, I can send you a template of mine if it will help.

Thank you for your kind offer.

I'll call Bill at Champion on Monday and if the brackets are the same, I'll take you up on your offer.

This a copy of mine if it helps.

View attachment 26148

The channel that holds the bar is at a 80 degree angle. If you print it out full size, I traced around the bracket so it should be pretty accurate.

Thank you so much. I called Bill at Champion and he said your bracket is the very same one that would fit my 2007. I printed the pdf, but I think it chopped off the data on the right hand side. Thanks again for your help.

- - - Updated - - -

I just noticed some of the diagram got truncated when I rotated it. The holes are 3/8" and the height is 6 3/8". The height of the front portion is 1 1/4".

I noticed your follow up after I replied to your earlier post. Thanks again.

Thank you so much. I called Bill at Champion and he said your bracket is the very same one that would fit my 2007. I printed the pdf, but I think it chopped off the data on the right hand side. Thanks again for your help.

- - - Updated - - -

I noticed your follow up after I replied to your earlier post. Thanks again.

You are more than welcome. It was no big deal to trace around it. I hope you are able to make workable brackets from the diagram I attached. Hopefully at a minimum you will get brackets to work that are cheaper than what Champion was asking for them. I'd offer up mine, but I plan on using them in the future. I will say that the Champion brackets are very nice with a really good chrome finish.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PERuss

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PERuss
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png