gps speedometer

I found a speedometer to fit my virago front end, but when I put a wind shield on it, it won't work. I'm thinking about a gps unit. Under $100. would be great. Any experiance or suggestions please.
Thanks for you time

I currently use a garmin nuvi as my speedo and odo. Works great. I'll take a pic of my setup in a bit. I have it in a shroud that makes it easier to see in sunlight.*
I use the trip.recorder as my odometer and write mileage in a log when I clear it so I know my total mileage. Since 2005 I have had to change out the gps once. The screen on the old one wouldn't work anymore.

The one I have in there now is a little narrower. I am planning on buying a newer one (about 80 bucks) with lifetime maps.*

I currently use a garmin nuvi as my speedo and odo. Works great. I'll take a pic of my setup in a bit. I have it in a shroud that makes it easier to see in sunlight.*
I use the trip.recorder as my odometer and write mileage in a log when I clear it so I know my total mileage. Since 2005 I have had to change out the gps once. The screen on the old one wouldn't work anymore. The one I have in there now is a little narrower. I am planning on buying a newer one (about 80 bucks) with lifetime maps.*

Are there any legal issues to consider? ... i.e.

police not considering a gps as a legal speedo. Speedo's are one of the required items to be street legal at least here, and I can see them saying the gps doesn't qualify.

Then there is resale, not being able to verify actual milage at the time of sale.

On my 11 Ultra, I put a set of road glide silver faced gages on it that I got off eBay, Harley will not reset the speedo odometer unless purchased new from them. My black faced gages had 4970 miles on them when I swapped. The silver faced where a new take off by a dealer and had 147 miles on them (the miles the owner put on them while his custom gages where on order). When I went to trade the ultra for the trike, the dealer wanted to reduce my trade value because actual mileage was unknown. Basically as if the odometer didn't work. He first asked for paperwork showing the odometer was reset. My response was what would prevent me from buying a new speedo from Harley, having them set the Odometer to 4500 miles and waiting till my bike had 15,000 miles to install them? Since I had time/date stamped pictures of the black faced gages prior to removal with 4970 miles, and time/date stamped pictures of the silver faced gages installed with 147 miles on them and a print out of the eBay post pics showing 147 miles on them, they took copies of every thing and "documented" the actual mileage accordingly with the state. New owner will get a certificate that states actual mileage is 4823 higher than on the odometer.

I can see a dealer saying it would be easy to not log miles ridden and therefore the actual miles can't be documented. I'm not saying you would do that ... but I can see a dealer dropping resale value based on that logic. Or, it being hard to sell if a potential buyer doesn't trust your log.

Just playing Devils advocate here and giving you some food for thought. Best to look at all angles.

GPS Speedometer

How about using something like the Trail Tech Vapor gps speedometer. It has a permanent odometer and reset-able trip meters. I was going to use this on my VW Trike but with the new Texas laws I could not register it, so I gave it to a friend. I hope this link works http://www.trailtech.net/digital-gauges/vapor . I have seen them for about $100 online. Google it.

GPS Speedometer

Thanks Woolie, I went with the basic TrailTech unit. It does more than what I need and it has big numbers. I probably can't fully operate the higher level units any way. My unit is a magnetic instead of GPS. So far it looks like a good deal.
Thanks for your time

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks Woolie, I went with the basic TrailTech unit. It does more than what I need and it has big numbers. I probably can't fully operate the higher level units any way. My unit is a magnetic instead of GPS. So far it looks like a good deal.
Thanks for your time

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Markh853

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Markh853
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png