Any recent Slingshot recall news?

Reaction score
Just curious. Personally, I'm not a potential customer, but was wondering what impact there has been on current owners. Last notice I saw (January 2015) was:

"The 2015 Polaris Slingshot has had a rather troublesome start to its career. First issue was that it couldn’t be registered in Texas because it didn’t have a saddle; then it couldn’t be registered in Connecticut because it has an enclosed driver seat and an engine that’s covered.

And now we have strike three, as Polaris has released a recall stating that all Slingshot models should stop being sold and/or driven anywhere in the world.

The reason is both simple and terrifying at the same time, since it’s possible that three-wheeled Polaris models may have defective ball bearings in the steering rack which can cause a total loss of steering, while the roll-over hoops on certain models might not "support the Polaris’ performance specifications.""

Happens with all new rollouts, No matter how much testing is done in-house, Once it gets into the hands of the riders the warts will pop up and show themselves...

What I don't understand is why "they" the government doesn't want it registered ... I know it's new and different but really?

It kinda blurs the lines between cars and bikes... ie safety stuff...
Big Brother probably doesn't want some Nimrod driving one and getting killed in it thinking it's a car.. Some states allow you to drive one with just a car license..

No new recalls from Polaris since their steering recall. That recall didn't affect all Slingshots sold but only a certain number of them depending on their vin numbers. It was of course an unfortunate happening but I give Polaris a well deserved pat on the back for jumping right in and getting this problem taken care of in a prompt manner. Ya mine was on that list too but didn't really affect me much having to wait due to winters weather.
I've read on the Slingshot forum that at least there's been 4200 & counting sold to date.
As for a couple of states still holding out on approval I think they'll get it done eventually.
Larry

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wheeza
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png