Brake Enhancements for The Freewheelr?

Well, I figured it would be a good question to ask. We put some effort in performance changes to our motors....why not the brakes? Besides, it never hurts to ask and see what others are thinking and doing........

On that, I saw a thread on cross-drilling the rear rotors on the TGs. I found that interesting, but not for the reasons discussed. I have found cross-drilled rotors to provide better braking in wet weather and actually help pads last longer....

Springman

here is an interesting article, from EBC Brakes, about cross-drilling rotors
http://ebcbrakes.com/articles/dangerous-cross-drilled-rotors/

after spending most of my working career in the vehicle repair field, I must agree with that article. While drilled rotors look really good, I have seen far too many cracks starting from the drill holes & far far too many shattered rotors with the fractures starting at the drilled holes. I know a lot of race cars use drilled rotors, but most teams consider the rotor as much of a wear item as the brake pads, replacing pads & rotors together and shattered rotors are very common. I know that many use drilled rotors without problems, but I just don't want to take the chance if I have the choice.

Well, I figured it would be a good question to ask. We put some effort in performance changes to our motors....why not the brakes? Besides, it never hurts to ask and see what others are thinking and doing........

On that, I saw a thread on cross-drilling the rear rotors on the TGs. I found that interesting, but not for the reasons discussed. I have found cross-drilled rotors to provide better braking in wet weather and actually help pads last longer....

Springman

With Harley going to a linked break system I'd imagine the after market will be a little slow getting up to speed. To the best of my knowledge the only after market manufacturer of rear breaks for the Triglide is Performance Machine, they only fit the 09 - 13 Triglide.

here is an interesting article, from EBC Brakes, about cross-drilling rotors
http://ebcbrakes.com/articles/danger...rilled-rotors/

after spending most of my working career in the vehicle repair field, I must agree with that article. While drilled rotors look really good, I have seen far too many cracks starting from the drill holes & far far too many shattered rotors with the fractures starting at the drilled holes. I know a lot of race cars use drilled rotors, but most teams consider the rotor as much of a wear item as the brake pads, replacing pads & rotors together and shattered rotors are very common. I know that many use drilled rotors without problems, but I just don't want to take the chance if I have the choice.

I read the article and see his point of view; but, then I look out at the front of my Freewheeler and at the brakes on just about all the motorcycles made in the last few years and see a BIG contradiction........

With Harley going to a linked break system I'd imagine the after market will be a little slow getting up to speed. To the best of my knowledge the only after market manufacturer of rear breaks for the Triglide is Performance Machine, they only fit the 09 - 13 Triglide.

Yah, I saw the Performance Machine setup - NICE! But, also EXPENSIVE! Although, I wonder about the stopping power of an 11 inch rear rotor for a Freewheeler? I think it would provide a bigger "Bite" that's for sure. And, 11 inch rotors cross-drilled to match the front please....(GRIN!)

Springman

I read the article and see his point of view; but, then I look out at the front of my Freewheeler and at the brakes on just about all the motorcycles made in the last few years and see a BIG contradiction........

Yah, I saw the Performance Machine setup - NICE! But, also EXPENSIVE! Although, I wonder about the stopping power of an 11 inch rear rotor for a Freewheeler? I think it would provide a bigger "Bite" that's for sure. And, 11 inch rotors cross-drilled to match the front please....(GRIN!)

Springman

I didn't think about it until I read your comment, all the rotors I'm familiar with are vented thru the middle and bikes are solid. I bet that article was aimed at that type rotor, like in their photo, I guess my dyslexia strikes again, sorry.:blush::D

I didn't think about it until I read your comment, all the rotors I'm familiar with are vented thru the middle and bikes are solid. I bet that article was aimed at that type rotor, like in their photo, I guess my dyslexia strikes again, sorry.:blush::D

Actually, I really think the article was worth the read and you can never have enough info.....no worries at all.

I am sure some think less of me for just introducing the topic...... But, unless we talk about something, we just never will know were or what it will lead to.... And, getting feedback is a key part of that process.

Springman

You can never have do much knowledge. What may not seem important today maybe tomorrow. Build this topic then if needed store the knowledge.

my Dad had a saying, "Nugget of Knowledge", any time he learned something or showed me something he would say, never pass up on a "Nugget of Knowledge".:) Hardly a day goes by that I don't gain a "Nugget of Knowledge".:D:pepper:

OK, just got a reply back from Lyndall, They state that their 2013 and earlier TG Rotors will NOT fit the 2014 and later TGs and FLRTs. And, no plans to offer rotors for the later TGs and FLRTs at this time - :(:(:(:(:(

Springman

I'd check with the dealer, I'll bet the 14 and later rotors will also fit the 09-13's.

My dealer says not and that they are different part numbers.....but, I would really love another persons confirmation on that.........

Springman

M3 found the rotor is a 10.5", not the older 9". It also has a different caliper. so the adapter plate wouldn't fit the older caliper.
On my 2012 TriGlide with EBC brake pads I can slide the rear wheels anytime I please. As far as working with enough braking power everything is ok now. The big problem is the life of the rotor, life of the pads, & the cost to replace.

M3 found the rotor is a 10.5", not the older 9". It also has a different caliper. so the adapter plate wouldn't fit the older caliper.
On my 2012 TriGlide with EBC brake pads I can slide the rear wheels anytime I please. As far as working with enough braking power everything is ok now. The big problem is the life of the rotor, life of the pads, & the cost to replace.

Guys,

I was thinking we need to find a car rotor that, in its stock form, would mount and clear the stock caliper width. We could engineer/design a caliper mount bracket to re-use the stock caliper...

Then rotor and caliper maintenance is kept simple and cost effective.

Springman

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Semiringeye

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Semiringeye
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png