Harley Fluids What and Why!

1852cc

Jun 2, 2009
Camp Verde, AZ
Ok, just want to know what you all are running in twin cam's (ultras, trikes etc), and why you have settled on that brand and weights.
What are you running in all 3 holes, motor, primary and trans.
Thank You
Mike

I'm running Harley's Syn 3 in everything on my '06 Ultra. It is a bit pricy, but I like the idea of only having to carry one bottle of oil when out on the road that will cover "all 3 holes". Yes, I have had to add oil to the trans when out on the road. Now that she's a trike, I probably won't ever have to do that again, but I plan to keep using the Syn 3. According to some people, that are using Amsoil, the Amsoil gear lube helps quiet that clunk in the trans when going from neutral to 1st, but then too, plain old 90 wt gear oil would probably do that too. I know when I get that Syn 3 on my hands it's almost impossible to wipe off that slipery feeling without soap or handcleaner. It feels a LOT like Type E fork oil in that respect.

NM

As my HD is an EVO, I won't chime on on the fluids use except to say I found it interesting that for years, Harley cautioned against using any kind of synthetic fluids in any Harley. Ah, but now that the MoFoCo has Syn3, it is fine in all 3 seperate places we had to use 3 seperate fluids before, even recommended in the EVO's. :confused:

I've been using Spectro oils for 10 years now, I've looked on the internet and we can get Amsoil 20-50 in the UK, Would I have to flush out every trace of the Spectro oils or would a hot drain down and fill with Amsoil be ok.

Regards

John.

Ok lets think for a minute....would you put trans fluid in your car engine? or motor oil in the rear end gear case? :no: NO right?......well why do you think is ok to put motor oil in all three holes :confused: cause some guy says do it from Harley...the people that want to sell more bikes :rolleyes:.......So me...I run Red line 20w50 in the motor...motor oil......and Red line heavy duty shock proof gear oil in the trans.......and Red line MTL (manuel trans lube) in the primary :yes:
BTW all syn.
google it on the net

just my 2 cents

Tony

Ok lets think for a minute....would you put trans fluid in your car engine? or motor oil in the rear end gear case? :no: NO right]

Not necessessarily. I've used ATF in engines to clean 'em out. We used to put engine oil in the Road Ranger transmissions on our semis. Worked fine. Got in excess of 500,000 in a trans rebuild. A there are several autos & trucks now that use ATF in the manual transmissions, differentials, & transfer cases on 4X4s. Cat heavy equipment used hydraulic oil in transmissions & 50 wt motor oil in the diffs & final drives. 90 wt gear oil is almost a thing of the past.

NM

OK!! LOL....I knew someone would come back......So if ya wanna put Crisco in fine..maybe Mazola...lol....But Im not takin chances with my $6,000 AIR cooled engine or my $2,000 trans that reves at 3000 rpm...I listen to the experts.

Tony

When I first got the bike, I was running the HD SYN3 oil in the engine, transmission, and primary. In an effort to reduce drive train noise and the clunk when shifting, I went to Spectro Primary Chaincase oil in the primary,
and the 6 speed tranmission oil (synthetic 75W140) in the gear box with good results.

Due to the high temperatures during the summer months here in Arizona, I
have switched to Red Line 20W60 (synthetic) in the crankcase which has a better VI (viscosity index - less thinning at higher temps) than comparable 20W50. What I was looking for was higher oil pressure at idle with 230 - 250 deg F oil temp. Seems to be better so far however need to see what happens when I get stuck in traffic on a 105+ deg. summer day.

I believe that the 20W50 SYN3 oil provides adequate lubrication for all three compartments under normal conditions. I've decided to utilize different lubricants to either improve performance, or deal with extreme conditions.

Ok, just want to know what you all are running in twin cam's (ultras, trikes etc), and why you have settled on that brand and weights.
What are you running in all 3 holes, motor, primary and trans.
Thank You
Mike

I've just bought my 2010 Street Glide Trike last Monday. My husband has already changed the fluids. Red Line Shock Proof in the tranny; Mobile 1 ATF in the Primary; Mobile 1 20W50 V-Twin in the Engine. He has owned motorcycles for around 40 years, raced, built and experienced many changes. He is also a stickler for perfection. In his opion that combination works best for him. He has a 2008 HD Ultra Classic 105th anniversay edition. If you want more inside stuff, let me know and he will pm you with more info.

I went to Spectro Primary Chaincase oil in the primary, and the 6 speed tranmission oil (synthetic 75W140) in the gear box with good results.

I use the Spectro Platinum 6 speed (75/140) tranny oil in my 07 Ultra
for 20k miles and will be putting it in Lynn's Trike because of her shifting
problems today in 80+ heat and being in City traffic. She had a heck of
a time trying to shift between gears :-(
Rob ......

Rick - if you pull the oil dip stick, it has two bands, one measures when on kick stand and the other straight up... which is the case with the trikes.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Markh853

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Markh853
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png