2002 Roadhawk questions

brakes,,,

Yes you can get some or barely ok braking power on VW drum rear brakes but man,,,they don't even come close to comparing to a disk brake conversion. In saying that the front VW wheel cylinders have been used on the rear I hear, as I guess they might have a bigger piston in them?

Yes you can get some or barely ok braking power on VW drum rear brakes but man,,,they don't even come close to comparing to a disk brake conversion. In saying that the front VW wheel cylinders have been used on the rear I hear, as I guess they might have a bigger piston in them?

Yep, the fronts are a larger wheel cylinder, but as you stated, "they don't even come close" to disk brakes. :clapping:

I don't know what barely ok is. But on my trike you can barely rest your foot on the pedal and you're gonna be stoppin. Its almost a pain the aze in traffic. I can smoke the tires at any speed. And effortlessly at that. I have the smallest master and the front brake cylinders. Of course my trikes made from a 68 bug with irs rear suspension,maybe others have different size shoes.

45 mph vibration and brake issue

I don't know what barely ok is. But on my trike you can barely rest your foot on the pedal and you're gonna be stoppin. Its almost a pain the aze in traffic. I can smoke the tires at any speed. And effortlessly at that. I have the smallest master and the front brake cylinders. Of course my trikes made from a 68 bug with irs rear suspension,maybe others have different size shoes.

This is MR TRIKE> I agree with the smallest master cylinder, 17mm bore single with remote fluid reservior. Last vw part numbers are 023B. With drums, remove and sand shoes and drums with coarse sandpaper, then adjust 1 shoe at a time by turning star wheel adjuster on backing plate till you can't rotate wheel, that centers the shoe in the drum, then back off 1 klick at a time so you have a slight drag. Do the same with other 3 shoes.

With removing an glaze and adjusting like I said, you will have the best drum brakes possible. Also make sure you have Front Wheel cylinders from super beetle 22.8mm in place. Have said all that, the best brakes are gotten by going to EMPI on get a disk brake conversion. As for the mid speed vibration, 90% of the that is caused by out-of-round rear tires. Simple way to check is jack up 1 wheel at a time and hold a piece of white chalk lightly against the center tread and rotate by hand. If you leave a complete line on tire, your tire is round. Rest your hand on something steady. The only way to correct an egg shaped tire is the have them Shaved on the trike. Call around your area and find a shop that can true them on trike. That way the tire, rim, wheel adapter, if you have one is Trued to center of axle.

That same shop should also balance tire on trike with a laser light. I have 40 plus years at this and it works. Good Luck Dick:)

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stag man
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png