Lehman Trike Parts & Info Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
when that happens try putting it in first or second gear and then back to neutral and then put it reverse, I think maybe the trans gears are still turning and just need the extra to stop then before shifting to reverse, let us know what happens

I need your help Lee. Champion will not answer my emails. I need the part # for 2010 Champion rear axle bearing. Suzuki with VW brakes. I replaced the rear seal but I'm told I need to replace the bearing as the rear end oil washed out the sealed grease in the bearing. Just a matter of time before it goes. China # 206 comes to mind if my feeble memory serves me correctly. Inter race is slightly raised. Not level with outer race. McCarr-master shows a #6206 metric double sealed but the inter-race is not raised.

I need your help Lee. Champion will not answer my emails. I need the part # for 2010 Champion rear axle bearing. Suzuki with VW brakes. I replaced the rear seal but I'm told I need to replace the bearing as the rear end oil washed out the sealed grease in the bearing. Just a matter of time before it goes. China # 206 comes to mind if my feeble memory serves me correctly. Inter race is slightly raised. Not level with outer race. McCarr-master shows a #6206 metric double sealed but the inter-race is not raised.

Cavie,
When you had it apart did you get a number off the bearing ???
I have no diagrams or parts index for the Champions and would rely on that number as replacement. Sorry........ Don't buy a Chinese replacement if you can avoid it.

Hi, Lee
I have a 2012 HD Ultra Classic with a Lehman LLS Renegade Conversion.
Prior to the conversion I had a Champion Reverse gear fitted, and had no problems with it.
Since the conversion, When I first start the engine and its cold, it goes into reverse perfect, but once the engine is warm like after 10km every time I try and put it into reverse it crunches something awful, I am concerned about doing serious damage to the gear box.
Do you have any ideas.

thanks for your time.

The conversion should not be causing the problem, but the adjustments made might contribute to it. Below are the operating instructions for a Motortrike reverse gear. For the life of me, it is an exact knockoff of the Champion. Read it and see what happens.

You might have a improperly adjusted manual clutch. But that usually makes neutral (N) light hard to get.

http://www.motortrike.com/docs/HARLEY REVERSE OWNERS MANUAL 07-08 6 SPEED_REV-.pdf

Clutch adjustment non hydraulic

Loosen slack adjuster on clutch cable so that lever will travel to grip without disengaging clutch. remove derby cover and loosen 11/16" nut that locks adjusting shaft to pressure plate. Using an allen wrench, back out the screw 1 turn so that there is no binding and then turn the screw clockwise until it bottoms out. Check clutch lever to make sure it still has plenty of travel without disengaging clutch.

If you have lost all lever free play, gain more slack with cable adjuster. Once you have bottomed out the screw, and still have free play on the lever, back off the allen screw 3/4 of a turn. Now without allowing the allen screw to move, tighten up the 11/16" jam nut. Use the cable adjuster to remove the slack until you get the desired amount of slack.

Two pictures below show a 6206 in 2 different configurations. The one without the raised inner race uses a spacer shim to make up the difference. I think they added the shim so that manufacturing would be simplified. I noticed that Champion sells a kit that includes 4 pieces. Picture is not representative of item.

http://www.hellotrade.com/champion-trikes/solid-axle-rear-end-seal-kit.html

The 1st picture is the correct bearing. The kit shown in the link is not the correct parts. My bearing is double sealed. Spacer/retainer is about 1" wide. Seal protector is not shown. It is a dome shaped piece of plastic with holes in it. Mine seems to be ok. I will contact them to discuss. Thanks.

You didn't answer my question. Did you get a bearing number when you had it apart ? I also explained that the pictures of Champion didn't represent the real thing.......

You didn't answer my question. Did you get a bearing number when you had it apart ? I also explained that the pictures of Champion didn't represent the real thing.......

As stated in my post. China # 206 comes to mind if my feeble memory serves me correctly. I believe it was 6206 china. Bearing house had no idea because of the inner raised race.

when that happens try putting it in first or second gear and then back to neutral and then put it reverse, I think maybe the trans gears are still turning and just need the extra to stop then before shifting to reverse, let us know what happens

I always put it into first before reverse, and when it crunches I put it into second, it helps but only 2 in 10 times. would adjusting my clutch help.

I always put it into first before reverse, and when it crunches I put it into second, it helps but only 2 in 10 times. would adjusting my clutch help.

Question: You put it into 1st, then reverse, and then into neutral before backing up ???
Should not grind......... if you are sitting still...

Question: You put it into 1st, then reverse, and then into neutral before backing up ???
Should not grind......... if you are sitting still...

I start in neutral, pull in the clutch lever and put it into first, then without releasing the clutch lever I put it back into neutral, then put it into reverse,and thats when i am getting the crunch.

OK.. That sounds like a clutch that might need adjustment. What weight oil are you running in the primary ? What weight oil are you running in the transmission ?

OK.. That sounds like a clutch that might need adjustment. What weight oil are you running in the primary ? What weight oil are you running in the transmission ?
I have no idea what weight oil is used, its gets serviced at my local HD dealer. But as trikes are not common here in Australia the HD mechanic said he could not help me with the reverse. My friend has a Motortrike conversion with the same reverse and she is having the same problem.

I have no idea what weight oil is used, its gets serviced at my local HD dealer. But as trikes are not common here in Australia the HD mechanic said he could not help me with the reverse. My friend has a Motortrike conversion with the same reverse and she is having the same problem.

I don't know if Harley is using the 20-50 in your transmission or not. I suggest 75-110 in your 6 speed. But before you change any fluids, try adjusting the clutch like the video shows... If it works for you, then do it to your friends bike....

I don't know if Harley is using the 20-50 in your transmission or not. I suggest 75-110 in your 6 speed. But before you change any fluids, try adjusting the clutch like the video shows... If it works for you, then do it to your friends bike....
Ok mate, I will give it a go, cant watch the video yet as i am at work, and everything is blocked. I will let you know how I get on. thanks for all your help.
Just a thought. If I put it into first keep the clutch engaged then into reverse, then into neutral would that work. or would I damage my gear box.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Obsidian
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png