Ride Comfort

Judson Barber

Jul 13, 2009
North Augusta, SC, USA
At 75 I am looking for a smooth ride and good handling. Do my trike riding friends out there have comments about the most confortable trikes and ones that handle well.:confused
I am riding an 01/1800 GW with a tow pack installed.

Thanks for the help:yes:Jud Barber, SC

You might look at Roadsmith & CSC. They both have 10" longer wheel base that helps smooth out the bumps & puts your seating position more in the middle of the trike instead of so close to the rear axel. I'm running a Roadsmith, but I looked real hard at the CSC too. The deciding factor was I could do the conversion myself if I went with the Roadsmith. If you're having the conversion done, then it'd be a toss of the coin as to which to get. There are people here who have CSCs and some of us have Roadsmiths & a lot of other brands. Everybody seems to like their choices. If at all possible take test rides on everything you can to help make the decision.

NM

JUD NM's makes good recommendations. Those 2 conversions are very good ones. There are a few others out there also and everyone seems to like what they bought. Independent Rear Suspension is considered a smoother ride. Also make sure you add a rake kit to the forks. That will make it handle a lot better. The conversion will be vastly better that the TOW-Pac. Nothing wrong with the tow-pac for the money, but the conversion is WAY better.

When we triked we only tested CSC and Hannigan. After riding the Hannigan there was no question. In our opinion, Hannigan rides great and I certainly have no issues with the handling either. Check 'em out.

I am 71 and almost one-half and have the GL 1800 with the Champion solid axle trike kit. I have moved my pegs, bought extenders for my pegs still don't like the peg position. Bought Kuryakyn risers and did not like those so just bought and installed MLB risers and these are more comfortable. I do not like the seat so am buying a Ultimate seat and back rest. First thing I did was to put a 5.5 degree rake kit on it as my shoulders and neck are a wreck.

What I am saying is I would not buy another Champion. I will get a lot of people telling me that they love theirs, but they are not me. If I ever get another trike, I will test ride all of them until I get the one that fits me even if I have to drive hundreds of miles to test them all.

Just one old mans opinion.

Comanche what does all that you state that you changed have to do with the Champion kit? I could understand if you did not like the ride the solid axle gave you but everything else you mentioned did not change because the bike was converted to a trike, except the rake and I gather that works okay. Pegs, seat, risers are all Honda. Blame the Honda not Champion, unless I'm missing something.

Comanche what does all that you state that you changed have to do with the Champion kit? I could understand if you did not like the ride the solid axle gave you but everything else you mentioned did not change because the bike was converted to a trike, except the rake and I gather that works okay. Pegs, seat, risers are all Honda. Blame the Honda not Champion, unless I'm missing something.

That's a fair comment. Most of the lack of comfort I am experiencing is with Honda's lack of egronomics, not Champion. I still wish I had ridden other trikes as there is something missing that all of you say you experience with your trikes. Only did a 140 mile round trip yesterday and when I got home my shoulders (rotten to begin with) were hurting.

Comanche, I agree with tmigala that everything you are describing as uncomfortable for you relates to the bike and how it "fits" with you, rather than the trike kit. I don't believe any other brand of trike kit would make a difference for you.

The pain in your shoulders is almost certainly related to arm positioning since you have already raked the front end to make the steering less difficult. I had the same problem, but handlebar risers/pull backs and a set of bars bringing my hand position closer to my shoulder width has made a huge improvement, and I can ride for hours without discomfort now.

I would venture to say that if you went to a Harley dealer and sat on a Tri-Glide or another large Harley that has been triked you would might a huge difference in leg comfort also. I am not pushing Harley as better than Honda or any other brand!!!! But I have consistently found their big cruisers have a leg and seat positioning that is far more comfortable for me than any GoldWing I have sat on. That is a very personal thing, though. It means sitting on a wide variety and makes of bikes before you find the one that feels just right for your hips and knees. For my ultimate comfort on long trips, I have changed out the highway pegs on my Kuryakyn moustache bars for smaller foot boards, and they have been wonderful in allowing my feet to change position to give my legs a break.

That's a fair comment. Most of the lack of comfort I am experiencing is with Honda's lack of egronomics, not Champion. I still wish I had ridden other trikes as there is something missing that all of you say you experience with your trikes. Only did a 140 mile round trip yesterday and when I got home my shoulders (rotten to begin with) were hurting.

I have the same problem with my shoulders hurting but I look at it as therapy. Those particular shoulder muscles haven't been exercised all winter and are protesting the workout!!! It does, in fact, take considerable more effort to steer the trike than it does a two wheeler but that's just the nature of the beast. We took a ride yesterday on some twisty country roads with the wind gusting occasionally to 40mph and my old shoulder muscles are a little sore but I'm riding again today. I'm 65 and although my body ain't what it used to be, the trike keeps my heart and mind young.

I have a Goldwing 1800 with a Lehman conversion and have added the triple tree kit from them. I'm very happy with the ride both as the driver and on occasion as the passenger.
I've found the handling to be quite easy. I was out riding mine 2 weeks after I had surgery and the whole time I was doing radiation treatments. Not exactly feeling strong then but boy did it feel good to be out. I ride along with hubby and friends on 2 wheels and have never had a problem. I do find my arms get a little tired on the first couple of runs of the season but after that I feel like I could go all day :yes:.
Comanche, Nana has a good point there. I ride my hubby's bike once in a while and find that the set up of his handlebars makes my shoulders ache in a short time. They're perfect for him but a bit of a stretch for me.

Comanche, I agree with tmigala that everything you are describing as uncomfortable for you relates to the bike and how it "fits" with you, rather than the trike kit. I don't believe any other brand of trike kit would make a difference for you.

The pain in your shoulders is almost certainly related to arm positioning since you have already raked the front end to make the steering less difficult. I had the same problem, but handlebar risers/pull backs and a set of bars bringing my hand position closer to my shoulder width has made a huge improvement, and I can ride for hours without discomfort now.

I would venture to say that if you went to a Harley dealer and sat on a Tri-Glide or another large Harley that has been triked you would might a huge difference in leg comfort also. I am not pushing Harley as better than Honda or any other brand!!!! But I have consistently found their big cruisers have a leg and seat positioning that is far more comfortable for me than any GoldWing I have sat on. That is a very personal thing, though. It means sitting on a wide variety and makes of bikes before you find the one that feels just right for your hips and knees. For my ultimate comfort on long trips, I have changed out the highway pegs on my Kuryakyn moustache bars for smaller foot boards, and they have been wonderful in allowing my feet to change position to give my legs a break.

Nana, Just yesterday I had the Kuryakyn risers swapped with the MLB standard risers. Substantial difference. I have been riding with a gel pad on the seat. This, albiet a bit softer has moved my legs and hands farther from the comfort points of each. So, I have removed the gel pad. I ordered a new Ultimate seat and back rest and am expecting this to make a huge difference. I know when I bought a Mustang seat for my Suzuki I went from Oh He ll to Oh yeah doing 500 mile days at my age was still fun. I will wait until I get the new seat installed before fooling with adding rubber on the pegs. Hoping the seat will solve the rest of those ilks.

Comanche, You are on the correct track. You need to get the trike fitted to you and then things will be a lot different. You can not enjoy the ride if you are in pain. Keeping working at it you will get it right. The GW/Champion is a good trike, you just got to get it right for you.

I'm 65 and although my body ain't what it used to be, the trike keeps my heart and mind young.

Greydog, I'm an older hillbilly than you and riding 'round with arthritis for years. You gotta check those bars! You get those arms in a better position and your shoulder problems won't go away, but the pain from riding will.

Now, before you go trying out new bars (handlebars, that is), I'd try moving them up or down a tad first. It's amazing what that small adjustment will do.

west-virginia-flag-waving-emoticon-us-state-animated.gif
..and hey...how 'bout them 'eers? Might not of won it all, but tied for #3 in the nation ain't nothing to be ashamed of.

Greydog, I'm an older hillbilly than you and riding 'round with arthritis for years. You gotta check those bars! You get those arms in a better position and your shoulder problems won't go away, but the pain from riding will.

Now, before you go trying out new bars (handlebars, that is), I'd try moving them up or down a tad first. It's amazing what that small adjustment will do.

west-virginia-flag-waving-emoticon-us-state-animated.gif
..and hey...how 'bout them 'eers? Might not of won it all, but tied for #3 in the nation ain't nothing to be ashamed of.

Well, I learned it's not the steering making my neck and shoulders sore.....it's the helmet not fitting right. Been wearing a half helmet my buddy gave me and it's too big!!! The wind gets under the visor and wreaks havoc with my neck muscles blowing my gourd around. :D I wore my 3/4 helmet riding all day yesterday and no problems.

Yep!!! The WVU team and coach did us proud!!! I would like to have seen them go all the way but they made a great run to the Final Four. Quite an accomplishment considering it's been over 50 years since the last one!! :yes:

Jud: If I were you, I would be looking for a 40-50 year old, 135 lbs.(a little heavier for a more cushioned ride), any younger the ride may be a little to rough for you. LOL :yes:

I'm really getting sick of people cutting down the solid axels!

IMHO, I love our Champion Solid Axel and think it's the best Trike kit built.
I wouldn't trade it for any other brand.

I have friends with IRS and have nothing but problems.
One of them has stuck $2,000 trying to get his CSC suspension right.
Another one traded his MT for a CSC and wished he had his old one back. It shakes so bad after 50mph that he cann't see anything in the rear view mirrors.
My dealer had Champion's with their new IRS with suspension problems also.
The Hann and RS look like tanks they are so big and long.

My Champion has the best ride, one of the biggest trunks, doesn't lean to the outside of curves, has the least maintenance and best looking of all the Trikes out there.

There I vented, flame on!!!!!!!!!!!!

Geesh !....you'd better pull over to the side of the road and get that burr out from under your saddle before you bust a gut.

Didn't see anyone on here flaming the Champion, in fact there's a good many of them on here.

Pretty obvious you don't have any kind feelings for anything other than the Champion, but you'll make a lot more friends if you don't try to go trashing our choices.:p

Wow I just re-read all the posts on this thread and not one person cut down a Champion straight axle. The gentalman that owned it was not happy with his ride and everyone pointed out that it was the bike not the conversion that he identified as the problems. By the way I have a Champion Straight axle and love it also, but I also know that an IRS under SOME conditions will ride better. Over all the straight axle works just great. We all pretty much like all trikes on this forum.

Here is another tip that I see nobody has brought up yet. A backrest for the pilot lessens the stress on the shoulder muscles. Having something to push against helps to relieve the tension on the back and shoulders.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Markh853

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Markh853
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png