40idf carburation

Apr 30, 2015
pineville, la
Are dual 40idf's too much for a stock 1600cc vw motor? It seems like a lot for a stock motor. That is what's on the trike I just bought and I am having trouble getting them right. I am thinking about buying a manifold and go with just one of the 40idf but I was just wondering if two 40's are really too much. Any comments appreciated.

40idf

I wonder if I could get a manifold and just use one of these Webers? Would that work. I'm not looking for speed. I could handle one carb a whole lot better. I see manifolds on EBay. Are they any good?
Yeah possibly a bit large for bone stock.
But say a 1641, minor port clean up, a little cam, and a header/free flowing exhaust, no not too much.

Because of the runner length, lack of enough heat in the intake, and fuel falling out of suspension a single carb can also be a chore to set up. Not just a simple take it off a dual and stick it on a single with the webber. You are talking a complete re tune. High and low jets, emulsion tubes, acceleration squirter and some other twiddling and tuning.
Find someone to trade complete set ups with.
Make sure your heat risers work.

The best running single.i ever had was not a weber or a progressive. *It was a chevy Rochester that I modified when in machinist school. It still did not compare to duals.

weber 50 idf

Would you know anyone that might have a single carb set up they would want to trade? Stupid question but how do I tell if my risers work.I have never been much on trading but that is probably what i need to do.
Because of the runner length, lack of enough heat in the intake, and fuel falling out of suspension a single carb can also be a chore to set up. Not just a simple take it off a dual and stick it on a single with the webber. You are talking a complete re tune. High and low jets, emulsion tubes, acceleration squirter and some other twiddling and tuning.
Find someone to trade complete set ups with.
Make sure your heat risers work.

The best running single.i ever had was not a weber or a progressive. *It was a chevy Rochester that I modified when in machinist school. It still did not compare to duals.

No I don't have a single to trade.

I bet a single center mount throttle body and fuel injection end castings would make you a good set up.

I will look for a pic of the heat risers.
Yours with the duals would not have. The header/exhaust would have a flange for the intake to attach to.

These hook to the exhuast by the flange at the head.*
Exhuast passed next to the intake to keep it warm so the long intake run does not ice up.

Screenshot_2015-05-25-10-23-51-1_zps72deyl0v.jpg

As Snu pointed out, the single carb intake will have the heat riser tubes. However, check your exhaust to insure it has the ports for the heat risers. Some of the header type exhaust does not have the ports.

roadhawk

Where the tubes connect on my motor is blocked off with a cap so I assume I would get the heat needed. Hey stinger I looked at the link you gave me for the single carb. I will buy that for the price and sell mine. How do I know what type I need 1,2 3 etc. All I know is mine is a 1600cc. If I can get the correct t one I will order it. I will let someone else conquer these duals.
Yes.
Stinger is saying what I mean here.

A lot of headers do not have the place to attach this.
A swap to a single may also take a header or modifying your current header.

You would want the Type 1. That is the bugs. The type 2 is bus, and the type 3 is for the wagons, squarebacks, etc...

I'm quite sure your just running the standard engine out of the beetle.

roadhawk

I thought that is what I would need. I hate to spend the money but I think I will be way ahead of the game for what I am looking for. The way I read it the carb will come jetted for a stock 1600cc motor. I assume everything will hook right up. I'll keep you posted on the carbs and the vibration issue.
You would want the Type 1. That is the bugs. The type 2 is bus, and the type 3 is for the wagons, squarebacks, etc...

I'm quite sure your just running the standard engine out of the beetle.

I thought that is what I would need. I hate to spend the money but I think I will be way ahead of the game for what I am looking for. The way I read it the carb will come jetted for a stock 1600cc motor. I assume everything will hook right up. I'll keep you posted on the carbs and the vibration issue.

Yep, it should be a simple install really. The one thing your going to have to get is the manifolds for the heads:

http://carcraftstore.com/dualportendcastingkit.aspx

With the dual Weber setup, you'll have to get the end castings as well as the carb setup.

roadhaek

I forgot about the manifolds. Well it looks like I could get set up for around 300.00 I'l call them in the morning and get it ordered. Thanks for the suggestions. When I get going with the single carb I'll see if I can sell the Webers and manifolds and linkage I have. They are true Webers. They would be good for someone that has the engine for them and knows how to tune them. IT is just over my head. Thanks again and I'll keep you posted. Oh one thing. YOu say with the Dual weber set up I will have to get the end castings. I don't know what you mean. Could you explain?
Yep, it should be a simple install really. The one thing your going to have to get is the manifolds for the heads:

http://carcraftstore.com/dualportendcastingkit.aspx

With the dual Weber setup, you'll have to get the end castings as well as the carb setup.

I forgot about the manifolds. Well it looks like I could get set up for around 300.00 I'l call them in the morning and get it ordered. Thanks for the suggestions. When I get going with the single carb I'll see if I can sell the Webers and manifolds and linkage I have. They are true Webers. They would be good for someone that has the engine for them and knows how to tune them. IT is just over my head. Thanks again and I'll keep you posted. Oh one thing. YOu say with the Dual weber set up I will have to get the end castings. I don't know what you mean. Could you explain?

No no, you have to get the end castings (manifolds) to install the single carb. Sorry I didn't make that clearer. ;)

roadhawk

Ok. I understand now. I see the call the manifolds end castings.Do yiu know if the carburetor will sit up any higher than the webers sit now. I haven't got a whole lot of clearance. I am going to call the company in California tomorrow. Thanks Stinger
No no, you have to get the end castings (manifolds) to install the single carb. Sorry I didn't make that clearer. ;)

It shouldn't be any higher than the dog house cooler on the engine. You should be okay. I think the top of the air cleaners sit a bit higher but you can get low profile air filters that will bring it down some.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NILLA

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NILLA
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png