Full Synthetic or Semi Synthetic???

Jun 21, 2009
Boynton Beach, FL
Another question for you experienced Goldwingers...

I'm ready to switch to Synthetic Oil on my GL1800 trike at ~4000 miles. Should I go for Full or Semi Synthetic and why? :confused:

Thanks in advance for your help.:yes:

After doing all the reading after the previous post about this I have decided that I will be using a full synthetic oil. Just do a web search on the subject, there is a tremendous amount of information on the subject.

This question will most likely open a whole bunch of debate.
My ride is a VTX1800. Have used Mobil 1 for many miles. (50,000) I use straight Mobil 1 (non ENERGY CONSERVING) some agree some don't.

Its absolutely the way to go, google SYNTHETIC OIL MYTHS, then get down do a little research on mobil 1 4t 10-40 oil specially made for high performance bikes, RIDE SAFE!

Another question for you experienced Goldwingers...

I'm ready to switch to Synthetic Oil on my GL1800 trike at ~4000 miles. Should I go for Full or Semi Synthetic and why? :confused:
Thanks in advance for your help.:yes:

Dont overthink it, just do it or not do it.
I just did the first oil change at 2000 and went with what I use on the rest of my bikes. Full Syn.
Mobil 4T and a K&N filter.
Now I'm going to change it again at 10000 when it gets there.
After that it will get changed around every 10000 and there won't be any half way filter change either.
That's the schedule I have the other two bikes on.
Just my way of doing and I suppose you will have yours.
My feedback for you is go to Full SyN ASAP.

Full Synthetic only is my opinion. For what's it worth iv'e just changed the M109 to Spectro Platinum 20/50. I'm blown away as to how it has made gear changing so much easier & quieter which is a well recognised problem on big displacement twin & triple cylinder engines.<br />
Again in my opinion where the engine & gearbox/clutch shares the same oil supply, a maximum of 5000km should be run between oil changes. On our road bikes & Trike we change @ 3000/3500 km & 300 km on our race bikes. Keep well clear of 0 weight oils & never ever run big distances between changes. :no:

You might be interested in checking out AMSOIL. I have been running it in all of my vehicles for some time now. The read up on it is impressive, and should you need to add oil while out on the road, you can add a non- synthetic without worry.

I use Rotella oil . Comes in a Blue jug at Tractor Supply or Wally World . about $20.00 Works great . Shifts are much smoother too. Extend changes to 7,000 miles . I believe it is 5W 30

For about the last ten years, I've been usin' Honda Semi-Synthetic.....I like it better for clutch actuation, and nice Trans shifts over other Oils I have used in the past on my Hondas.........."Oil Threads"......great for large post counts sometimes.....:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
David Davis

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
David Davis
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png