Vermont V8 Trike Build

Brief history; I was a late bloomer as far as riding motorcycles goes. I was almost 7 when I started. I saw my first trike at about 10 and new I would have one someday. Many moons and motorcycles later, I was sitting with a biker friend of mine at the Harley Rendezvous( 2014) and he said," This sucks you not being able to ride a bike, because of your ankle. Didn't you say you've always wanted a trike?" My left ankle was rebuilt a few years ago after a LONG line of sprains, tears, twists, and almost total destruction. Feeling just that little bit worse about it, I replied," Yes to both." He said," Then I challenge you to have a trike by next Rendezvous." And now the real story begins...

Once I recovered from the trip, I started working a second job to raise money for the trike and started planning the build. I didn't want to just buy a bike and trike it. I have been a mechanic, welder, painter, that sort of thing, all of my life. I have all the skills to do a full build, and wanted to put my skills to the test. I traded a friend two scrap cars for a small block Chevy 350, 700r4 trans, and a Subaru WRX rear drive.

Then the real work started.

I put the major parts on my home built pontoon boat( sense a theme here?) as that would make a nice build platform off the ground( I don't have a garage).
P8250097.JPG

I then had the shortest drive shaft I have ever seen made out of the Chevy and Subaru shafts.
P9190119.JPG

I started making the mock up frame out of wood 2x4s.

Cheaper than steel and lighter, too.
P9210138.JPG

P9270154.JPG

Once I was happy with the mock-up, I bought some 3/16"x2"x4" box tubing and started the frame.
PA150167.JPG

PA290173.JPG

I got a 10'x20' tent for the impending winter, and moved everything into the tent.
IMG_20141226_151019.jpg
Once winter hit, there was no way I could work on it, even in the tent.

We had a hard long winter.

Fast forward 4 months.

In late March I rented a 10x20 storage shed, bought a generator, as there was no electricity, and started up again.
P3200008.JPG
Yes that is snow in the previous pic.

I bolted the rails to the rear end and then started fitting the engine/trans.

P3220011.JPG

P3220003.JPG
There is a lot more to go, but it is getting late, and I'm not sure how the pics are going to work.

I will work on fixing them if they don't work. Sorry, in advance.

Thanks, Guys. My pics were too big, so I had to shrink them a bit.

With the rear end as a starting point, and the engine being directly related to the rears location, I started moving from rear to front locating mounting points. Engine and transmission mounts first.
IMG_20150324_180537.jpgIMG_20150329_105216.jpg

Next I went to the down tubes. I found out that wood 2x4s fit into the steel 2x4s and make it easy to compare complex cuts on the two frame rails by scribing a line around the wood with a magic marker.
IMG_20150421_171501.jpgIMG_20150419_162418.jpg

I was originally thinking of mounting the neck close to the engine, but thought it might put too much weight on the Goldwing 1500 front end.
IMG_20150418_095836.jpg

I moved it out a bit, and now there is 5 feet from the front wheel contact patch to the center of the engine and 5 1/2 feet to the rear wheels from center.
IMG_20150426_151405.jpgIMG_20150425_095647.jpgIMG_20150426_151452.jpg

Once I got the down tubes in place, after MUCH ado, I drilled a 7/8" hole, top and bottom of where the neck would go, cut the sides to fit, and welded in the neck.
IMG_20150427_174206.jpg

More updates later.

Thanks again. I'm trying for a comfortable cruiser that is still nimble enough to run around town. At almost 12 feet long, we'll see how nimble it is.

More pics.

In my last post, I should have said that I drilled a 1 7/8" hole as that is the diameter of the neck from the Goldwing. I tacked it in place and checked the overall look.
1.jpg

I wound up with around 31 degrees of rake, close to the stock 30 deg. There might be a rake kit in the future, but that's to be decided after testing.

I made an extension to support the rest of the neck and welded it in place.
3.jpg2.jpg

4.jpg5.jpg

I strengthened the trans cross member and rear strut towers.

6.jpg7.jpg

Now it's starting to look like a trike.

8.jpg

More later.

Wow, lots of skill and craftsmanship going on with the build, kudos to you, enjoying the pics.

I've known for a while now that I will not make it to the Rendezvous with the trike and as the trip is getting closer, updates will be a little slow for a bit. That said, time for an update.

Got a few things that I consider mundane like changing the oil in the engine, cranked it over without starting it to make sure everything was prelubed and turning, installed new bearings and races in the neck, cleaned up some more loose ends on the engine, thermostat, sensors, HEI wiring, stuff like that.

I flipped the Road King seat over and cut some 10 gauge steel into rough shapes of all the bends of the bottom, spotted them together and started mounting the support pan where it would sit on the bike.
9.jpg

Once I was happy with that, I cleaned all the edges and got it ready for rubber padding and paint.

10.jpg

I started laying out the dash, but ran into a mental roadblock so I moved to the rear end and radiator mounting.

11.jpg12.jpg

After extending the rear frame, I added some 4 inch channel as the bottom mount.

13.jpg14.jpg

I am getting some brackets bent up for the radiator mounting and will start plumbing coolant and trans lines while figuring out the dash. I think I have an idea, but what actually takes place remains to be seen.

Hi Guys,

Sorry for the disappearing act. A lot of things have happened since my last post, but little progress on the trike. I have bent up a bunch of stainless tubing for the cooling and located the radiator in the rear, but the cooling system is incomplete at this time. Unfortunately, I can't foresee any large allotment of time to put into her in the near future, but miracles do happen. With some significant progress will come pics, and hopefully RIDES:D.

Back at it

Several lifetimes full of stuff happening( 2 jobs, some medical issues, and life in general) and, finally, back at it. It is cold and wintering here in Vermont now, but I am back working on the trike. I spent some time today priming and firing the engine by splashing gas into the carb and cranking it over. Once I figured out the witch-craft HEI wiring, she fired over like a trooper. I took a video of the second firing, and posted it on youtube here;
. Should be more soon. Hoping to move it under it's own power by end of April.

Several lifetimes full of stuff happening( 2 jobs, some medical issues, and life in general) and, finally, back at it. It is cold and wintering here in Vermont now, but I am back working on the trike. I spent some time today priming and firing the engine by splashing gas into the carb and cranking it over. Once I figured out the witch-craft HEI wiring, she fired over like a trooper. I took a video of the second firing, and posted it on youtube here;
. Should be more soon. Hoping to move it under it's own power by end of April.

Nice ... the beast lives

Looks like we have a roller

Took last weekend to roll her out into the sunlight for the first time since dragging the pieces into the shed. The handlebars are just for moving it around easier and testing the linkage out. The coolant lines are finally sussed and ready for final fit. Fuel tank is in place and ready for the roll-over fitting bung and vent tube to be welded. Going to try to take it for a lap around the storage place this 3 day weekend, but no promises.

Roll out vid is here( unexpectedly loud crashing noises are from the fuel tank straps bouncing against the tank).

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
neil wright

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
neil wright
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png