jug fans to cool your barrels

I've seen here where some have put on these cooling fans to help cool there barrels , after I found out along with other problems I had as some may have read my last post, said the rear cylinder got extremely hot , after all I do live in az , but hardly ever ride it in heat over 95 stays parked in most of the summer unless we leave here and go someplace else, but riding it home yesterday it was hot here and the wind was blowing

when the wind came from the left side of the bike it blew heat through the engine to the right to the other side and it was hot , when turned with the wind coming from the right ,it was hot on the left leg , I'm wondering on hot days like that the fans might do the same thing and if it does ,that's not cool. I'm wondering if its worth the money since they seem to be quit pricey for my pocket book just to blow air ,let me know what you think I might be just blowing smoke up my own butt

As Gorilla said, some folks like the fans. I run a 120 in my 2 wheel 06 Ultra, I've yet to feel the need for fans. The only time I would think they could help is in a traffic jam, when that happens I normally shut it down and start doing the Flintstone.

Seems like y'all would have to keep rebuilding your engines, what with all that heat. Piston rings and valves burn away, manifolds develop cracks, and any nearby seals and gaskets are doomed to failure - leading to oil leaks. Been there, done that, got the T-shirt.

Do you install oil coolers on your bikes?

I just don't get it, you folks ride bikes with self-destructing engines. What is that all about? Money to burn. :gah:

I've seen here where some have put on these cooling fans to help cool there barrels , after I found out along with other problems I had as some may have read my last post, said the rear cylinder got extremely hot , after all I do live in az , but hardly ever ride it in heat over 95 stays parked in most of the summer unless we leave here and go someplace else, but riding it home yesterday it was hot here and the wind was blowing ,when the wind came from the left side of the bike it blew heat through the engine to the right to the other side and it was hot , when turned with the wind coming from the right ,it was hot on the left leg , I'm wondering on hot days like that the fans might do the same thing and if it does ,that's not cool. I'm wondering if its worth the money since they seem to be quit pricey for my pocket book just to blow air ,let me know what you think I might be just blowing smoke up my own butt

I ran fans on my 2011 Tri-Glide (and oil coolers) and I run fans and an oil cooler on my 2014 TG.

I also run fans and and oil cooler on my Softail.

It does blow some hot air onto the right leg...but not enough that it is uncomfortable for me...even in shorts.

What it does is keep my head temps down, regardless of the ambient temps or riding conditions.

I do this for engine longevity, and for engine performance. On Twin Cams, if the head temp hits 270* or higher, engine performance will get sluggish. Without the fans, even on the Twin Cooled TC, there are circumstances that the head temps will hit 270* or higher without the fans.

Kevin

fans

I ran fans on my 2011 Tri-Glide (and oil coolers) and I run fans and an oil cooler on my 2014 TG.

I also run fans and and oil cooler on my Softail.

It does blow some hot air onto the right leg...but not enough that it is uncomfortable for me...even in shorts.

What it does is keep my head temps down, regardless of the ambient temps or riding conditions.

I do this for engine longevity, and for engine performance. On Twin Cams, if the head temp hits 270* or higher, engine performance will get sluggish. Without the fans, even on the Twin Cooled TC, there are circumstances that the head temps will hit 270* or higher without the fans.

Kevin
at certain temp the engine may run rough cause the rear cylinder is made to shut down but would like to keep the heat down as much as possible in which I think caused some of the problem in rear cylinder possible still considering the fans just seems awfully pricey and as jax said I don't have money to burn ,that's why I'm looking for ways to save my engine after a (thank god it was under warrenty) 3800.00 repair bill would rather not get rid of my Harley, which set of jugs did you order and did you order the frame mount kit

Seems like y'all would have to keep rebuilding your engines, what with all that heat. Piston rings and valves burn away, manifolds develop cracks, and any nearby seals and gaskets are doomed to failure - leading to oil leaks. Been there, done that, got the T-shirt.

Do you install oil coolers on your bikes?

I just don't get it, you folks ride bikes with self-destructing engines. What is that all about? Money to burn. :gah:

If you don't have anything positive to contribute then why are you posting to this Harley section other then to stir the pot? That is not acceptable on this forum. thank you.

at certain temp the engine may run rough cause the rear cylinder is made to shut down but would like to keep the heat down as much as possible in which I think caused some of the problem in rear cylinder possible still considering the fans just seems awfully pricey and as jax said I don't have money to burn ,that's why I'm looking for ways to save my engine after a (thank god it was under warrenty) 3800.00 repair bill would rather not get rid of my Harley, which set of jugs did you order and did you order the frame mount kit

I use the Wards Parts Werks Fans. They mount to the horn mount. Yes, they are expensive, but I also had to have the entire top end replaced under warranty, because before I was running the fans it just got too hot.

I have heard good reports on the Love Jugs, and on the 2014 & later models, they say you must use the frame mount for them.

Kevin

If you don't have anything positive to contribute then why are you posting to this Harley section other then to stir the pot? That is not acceptable on this forum. thank you.

Sorry. Didn't mean to upset anybody. Not trying to stir any pots.

My experience on Harleys was back in the 60s and I spent a lot of money on maintenance and repairs. My real reason for the post was to ask if folks are using oil coolers on their bikes and what their experiences have been with them.

Over and out. :)

I use the Wards Parts Werks Fans. They mount to the horn mount. Yes, they are expensive, but I also had to have the entire top end replaced under warranty, because before I was running the fans it just got too hot.

I have heard good reports on the Love Jugs, and on the 2014 & later models, they say you must use the frame mount for them.

Kevin

thanks I do believe I'm going to invest in the fans i'll look into those you have

- - - Updated - - -

My experience on Harleys was back in the 60s and I spent a lot of money on maintenance and repairs. My real reason for the post was to ask if folks are using oil coolers on their bikes and what their experiences have been with them.

all the tri glides do come with oil coolers which do help

The love jugs and wards fans are both very good at what they do. The main help is with stop and go traffice. I got stuck in traffic with 20 miles of red lights with top speed of 5-10 mph. This is with a cvo110 street glide. It never got close to heat mode. Never got hot, pretty warm, nothing I was concerned about.
i now have them on my fw. Stock at this point. They still make a huge difference even riding. I have not noticed any air on my legs unless im I'm in shorts then it is very minor. A bunch better than no fans for sure.

I also have a 113 pro street Dyna but no cooler or fans. It doesn't need em. A good tune and catless header and fans will make it a totally different bike/trike.

:Agree: Thanks Gorilla, I was going to post "because I don't want to own a HONDA", but thought that might be considered a sarcastic remark!!! Anyway, thanks again for straightening this poster out!!

Ride safe!!

Roger

The love jugs and wards fans are both very good at what they do. The main help is with stop and go traffice. I got stuck in traffic with 20 miles of red lights with top speed of 5-10 mph. This is with a cvo110 street glide. It never got close to heat mode. Never got hot, pretty warm, nothing I was concerned about.
i now have them on my fw. Stock at this point. They still make a huge difference even riding. I have not noticed any air on my legs unless im I'm in shorts then it is very minor. A bunch better than no fans for sure.

I also have a 113 pro street Dyna but no cooler or fans. It doesn't need em. A good tune and catless header and fans will make it a totally different bike/trike.

You didn't tell us which fans you have on your bikes.....Wards or Love Jugs ?

Yep, they will blow heat on your legs. That's why we have highway bars and pegs. Only bothers me when my fan comes on and I where shorts. Did I just say that!:confused:

Please don't post pics!:AGGHH:

- - - Updated - - -

Yes to the oil cooler on my 80" 91,000 miles no major repairs. just got oil leaks under the jugs at that time.

As to why I ride a bike that the engine self destructs?

It just gets my nut!

- - - Updated - - -

The lower fairings on my old tour glide are made so that one side rams air at the front cylinder and the other rams air at the back cylinder.
I don't know why Harley stopped doing that?

Is it possible to add some wind type wings to your crash bars to achieve the same affect?

I have an UltraCool oil cooler with two fans, comes on at 195* or I can switch them on manually. I also had the Hardly parade fan but replaced it with the Luv Jugs Master Cool fans (new and a lot smaller that the old bigger models). My Luv Jugs are mounted to the horn bracket and do move around a lot, I have an 05 Ultra classic/Lehman and the frame mount is for 08 and above. I'm going to try to come up with something as I do not like just the horn mounting. Anyone got any ideas? As for the heat on your right leg you do get some, (I don't ride in shorts). If you are stopped or just crawling in traffic you do get heat, if moving not a problem. The Harley Parade Fan blows with one fan and they cover both cylinders so you get heat from between the cylinders, the Luv Jugs use two fans and they blow onto the cylinders, not between them so you don't get as much heat on your right leg. I understand the Wards do the same as the Luv Jugs, I just don't have any experience with them.<br />
Was just at Myrtle Beach Bike Week and in traffic or going down the boulevard I would run all four fans and never got to 230*. The Lehman trike kit body is about twice as heavy as the Triglide body and I have an 88" motor, so it works hard.

Other than the mounting with the Luv Jugs I am happy with everything.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Semiringeye

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Semiringeye
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png