Gl1500 help

dirtdobber

Gone But Never Forgotten
Reaction score
A friend dropped off their 1993 gl1500 trike. It has a fuel leak. I'm figuring fuel line.
Im trying to remove the plastic but I'm not very fimilar with the gl1500. I'm trying to find a shop/ service manual or a your tube to see how it comes off. It's stuck toward the top after removing the plastic around the key hole.
thanks
dd

A friend dropped off their 1993 gl1500 trike. It has a fuel leak. I'm figuring fuel line.
Im trying to remove the plastic but I'm not very fimilar with the gl1500. I'm trying to find a shop/ service manual or a your tube to see how it comes off. It's stuck toward the top after removing the plastic around the key hole.
thanks
dd

Lift up at the bottom of section, there is 2 rubber grommets and plugs like on the side covers, Once they are free, lift section and pull back towards seat. There is 2 plastic clips that are holding it at the front. Just carefully lift up and pull back and the section will come out. EZ Peazy:D

Got it all apart. All lines look good.
took off the fuel cap, should have done that first, no leak. Let it run for 10 minutes, no leak. The tank keeps pressure, when I remove the cap pressure escapes, whether it has been cranked or not. It's not venting. This may. End up easy except cost. The cap is $70.

took off the fuel cap, should have done that first, no leak. Let it run for 10 minutes, no leak. The tank keeps pressure, when I remove the cap pressure escapes, whether it has been cranked or not. It's not venting. This may. End up easy except cost. The cap is $70.

Mine is the same (as in always has pressure until I lossen the cap), I just thought that was normal. I have no leaks though, that I can see anyway.

Does he actually see gas or just smell gas fumes when he turns it off after riding? I have the same situation with my 1500, and I believe other 1800's have it happen too. There is a pressure valve just above the gas cap and it seems the rubber seal gets bad and lets fumes pass by and into the air when you shut off the engine. Normally these fumes are feed back to the carbs and burned in normal combustion.

I purchased a rebuild kit for mine, very affordable and an easy install. Don't have the problem anymore.:D

http://cyclemax.com/inc/sdetail/gl15...t/158744/20457

Installation video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2APRgiXcuGU

Last edited:
Petcock was my thought to.Mine the same thing as far far as pressure in the tank goes.

Got everything took care of. The fuel cap was clogged. I sprayed my favorite oil that I use on rusty bolts, let it soak and blew it out. It is venting properly now. The fuel leak, gas present, was running down the vent lines on the right side rather quickly. took about a minute and gas was dripping on the floor.

Replace the ac filter and fuel filter. The leak went way down, only a slight drip. My buddy who is a Honda tech told me to (this is true now) pinch off the fuel line until the engine started to run out of fuel, Twist the throttle and release the pliers that you closed the furl line with while keeping the throttle open. It causes a vacuum that is increased inside the carbs. I thought that's crazy but I have know him for a lot of years and he has never been wrong.

To my surprise the leak stopped. I let it run for a hour with no leak.

I love learning things. I sure learned something on this.

Got everything took care of. The fuel cap was clogged. I sprayed my favorite oil that I use on rusty bolts, let it soak and blew it out. It is venting properly now. The fuel leak, gas present, was running down the vent lines on the right side rather quickly. took about a minute and gas was dripping on the floor.

Replace the ac filter and fuel filter. The leak went way down, only a slight drip. My buddy who is a Honda tech told me to (this is true now) pinch off the fuel line until the engine started to run out of fuel, Twist the throttle and release the pliers that you closed the furl line with while keeping the throttle open. It causes a vacuum that is increased inside the carbs. I thought that's crazy but I have know him for a lot of years and he has never been wrong.

To my surprise the leak stopped. I let it run for a hour with no leak.

I love learning things. I sure learned something on this.

Very Interesting!! I too have learned something new. If my leak should return I will try this.

Thanks!!:Coffee:

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NILLA
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png