Trunk Lid Warning Light

Reaction score
I just returned from a trip to Wyoming and Montana on my 2011 Tri-Glide, and once again, my trunk lid popped open on the trip. This time it was in a parking lot instead of on I-90 at 80 mph like last time. I rotate the lid latch pin to keep a fresh unworn edge at the latch point, but I spend a lot of time worrying about the lid opening and not knowing it. I've searched the internet unsuccessfully for a trunk lid warning light. Do you know of anyone who makes a kit?

By the way, every time I rotate the trunk latch pin to get an unworn edge, I lose the recommended 26.67mm pin height. If not rotated, the pin edge wears away and the latch becomes loose and susceptible to popping open. This is a terrible design, but when I talked with my H-D dealer, there is no fix or recall.

trunk latch pin-1 (Small).jpg

Get a new pin ... you shouldn't have to, but it's the only fix. Also, the latch that engages the pin, starts off rounded and will eventually get flat, my 15 is already starting to flatten. When it gets flat, you need to replace the latch in it's entirety.

trunk lid

I have a new 2015 Tri Glid and its come open twice in 2200 miles....I'm thinking of putting a hasp and padlock on it.....It would be better than the HD design...Ha!! Maybe the locking pin has too much chamfer on the corners(?)
where in locks into the latch.???
Dave from FL. presently in the Adirondacks of NY..

Our '09 and '11 Tri's popped open a couple times way back when. Lubed the latches and pins, and ALWAYS gave the handle a little tug after closing the door. Never happened again. First thing I did with wife's new '14 was lube the latches and pins and locking mechanism. 4 months and no problems. Obviously not a problem with my Freewheeler..... but I give it a tug anyway after latching it.

Good Luck

By the way, every time I rotate the trunk latch pin to get an unworn edge, I lose the recommended 26.67mm pin height. If not rotated, the pin edge wears away and the latch becomes loose and susceptible to popping open. This is a terrible design, but when I talked with my H-D dealer, there is no fix or recall.

View attachment 28466

I had the trunk open a few times with my 2011 tri.. I found that the pin was not going in deep enough so the latch that drops down into the groove doesn't go fully into it. Since i adjusted it 3 years ago it has yet to pop open. I didn't use any measurements i did it by eye.. Also my pin doesn't have any marks on it, So maybe your latch is just resting on the tip of the pin..And not fully locking :Shrug:

Thanks for the replies. Has anyone seen a trunk lid warning light that would alert the rider that the ID has opened? I can probably devise something, but if a kit already exists, I would rather use it.

Had a lengthy conversation with Al and Dan of SeeThroughBraz about this very thing, a warning light, at the reunion in Eureka Springs. I've had a few problems with this and during one of our rides there our leader stopped twice to chech/re latch his.

We discussed a switch and inner-fairing red LED light that would indicate if the trunk was ajar.

The guys at SeeThroughBraz's are always working on ideas/concepts to make our sport more enjoyable and safe.

8~\o

I had, or maybe still have the same problem with my '13. I found that it pops open only when unlocked. So I got in the habit of always locking it, no more problems.

I like Fuzzy's idea. Making a better latch would be way better than installing a light.

Ready made would be easier. It would not take much to design your own. A switch that opens when the lid comes open but closes for current when closed. A light to your preferences and connect. I suggest going I through the switch.

I had, or maybe still have the same problem with my '13. I found that it pops open only when unlocked. So I got in the habit of always locking it, no more problems.

I like Fuzzy's idea. Making a better latch would be way better than installing a light.

Harley has a service bulletin that says just that ... lock your trunk

From day one [2011] i haven't locked it, Once i made an adjustment to the pin it hasn't pop open.
Regardless of what Harley says,; If you study the way the lock works, Locking it doesn't matter.. The locking mechanism drops into the pins groove like a guillotine, So if it doesn't fully drop in to the groove ' It will at times [like when hitting a hard bump] pop open..
Thats my opinion and i'm sticking to it.:D.

The first one on my 2009 TG would open with ease even when locked. MoCo replaced it with the " improved " version. Better, but still opened allot.
After the accident my TG received the improved 2011 body. Never had an issue with that one opening or leaking.

AS Screwball has pointed out, since I now ride an FLRT it's a non issue...

I've read "Loop a small bungee cord around the lid drop cables. If it pops it will not go all the way down." I keep mine lubed with B'laster dry lube and have not has any problems. No oily stuff to collect dirt. I just push it gently closed until it clicks.

Blaster TDL.jpg

I periodically use Triflow on mine. Haven't had a problem in a long while. Any of you know my wife, she tends to overpack, and overstuff. Our trunk has not popped open since about the first month of ownership.

Looks like an adjustment is the way to go, but if thatdoes not work I would put the pin in my lathe and open it up a few thousands squaringthe shoulders up in the process

I have ordered a new latch pin. $21 for the pin alone. I keep it pretty well lubed, but will make sure it's lubed nicely before my next trip (Prince Edward Island at the end of July.) I'll also lock the trunk all the time.

HeyHey! It's not rocket science! If you close your trunk lid gently while pushing in the latch button it will close alot easier...then pull on the door to insure that it is closed. Then again just keep slamming the door until you need to have your butt kicked for being mean to your expensive mode of transportation!!!!

Given the apparently common problems with this latch design, I still think a simple red dash light would be very helpful to alert the rider when the lid pops open. It happens, and if it does at 80 mph, one might lose valuable gear.

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wheeza
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png