Trunk Lid Warning Light

I had my trunk pop open once on my 2011 TG. I had forgot to lock it and may not have gotten it fully latched and didn't pull on it. I always lock it and give a pull on the chrome housing. Also my dealer service tech says to shoot a little WD-40 in it about once a month. There is no wear on mine that I have noticed and since that one time it has never popped open by accident. Maybe I'm just lucky. Leaving on a trip from ND to Niagara Falls next Friday and the trunk will be packed full as I can get it so I'll see how that goes. There are 7 bikes going on the trip so I should have someone behind me all the way.

2011 Merlot and Black TG

I love this site. It's good for us dummies. Mine popped open once when I went across an uneven road that flexed the trike in every direction. The button was hard to push and had to have the key inserted to pull it out. The dealer said not to worry, that it would free up over time. After reading here I had a "duh" moment. I found some dry lube and squirted some on and in the latch. No more hard to push. Button pops out all the way. Can just push it closed instead of slamming it and hoping it latched.

Thanks guys for helping this dummy out. I'm sure I will be gleaning more info from you.

I have had my trunk pop open twice now during rides. I keep it locked and I always pull on the lid to make sure it is solid. Something flexes the body and I think that is what makes mine open.
I adjusted it this morning and found the edge dinged up so I turned it and adjusted it out just a little bit and sprayed some lube on it. While I agree a better latch would be the optimal way to go I would like to have a warning light until that happens is ever.

Iv'e been thinking of rigging a switch on the tail gate of my pick-up.. i've driven off a few times with it open.. The Tri should be easier to rig' what with a lot less wire to route..

Trunk pops open FIX

My 13 always come open on road had to have pin replaced because it broke.
My 14 also popped open a lot until I started NOT SLAMMING I now push on both sides top right and left corners until it kind of snaps and the slightly pull to unsure catching then always lock.
Have not had problem since.

Refrigerator Door Switch

would almost work. Mine popped open twice. At dealers suggestion I lubed thoroughly with a dri teflon spray called Tri Flo. Seemed to work, no more issues and I have been using the trunk quite a bit. I do give it that tug.

Not to belabor the point, but how about installing one of those small child-proof latches that let a door only open a bit before you have to release it to open fully. At least if it decides to open at 70 it will only open a bit.
Just a thought.

Small bungee cord around the 2 support cables will let it drop only enough to then pull down and release the bungee cords.

Tri Glide Trunk door warning light

Thanks for the replies. Has anyone seen a trunk lid warning light that would alert the rider that the ID has opened? I can probably devise something, but if a kit already exists, I would rather use it.

My trunk door did the same thing twice, I designed a setup for my bike that works great. when and IF the door pops open again unexpectedly, I have a red light on my right side accessory switch location that shines bright enough that I can see it during the day too.

This Forum won't let me attach a photo

My trunk door did the same thing twice, I designed a setup for my bike that works great. when and IF the door pops open again unexpectedly, I have a red light on my right side accessory switch location that shines bright enough that I can see it during the day too.

You should be able to attach a photo now. Welcome!

Welcome to Trike-Talk...Bigsteps...:wave4:

Simple solution would be to rig up some hooks and add a cargo net, this way If your trunk lid opens you lose nothing. Mine popped open once, since then I have been locking It and I have had no Issues.

I must have a rabbits foot up my a$$. I have never had a problem with either on my TG's trunk door. And I have never lubed them either. Also I have never slammed them, maybe that's the reason.

Now watch!! The next time I go for a ride the damn door is going to open.

I like the idea of a warning light. Why H-D hasn't thought of that is beyond me. That would bring in a ton of money. I bet every owner would buy one, I would.

Trunk Warning Light = $150. Their cost .79 cents. :) :)

I must have a rabbits foot up my a$$. I have never had a problem with either on my TG's trunk door. And I have never lubed them either. Also I have never slammed them, maybe that's the reason.

Now watch!! The next time I go for a ride the damn door is going to open.

I like the idea of a warning light. Why H-D hasn't thought of that is beyond me. That would bring in a ton of money. I bet every owner would buy one, I would.

Trunk Warning Light = $150. Their cost .79 cents. :) :)

I would buy two, and use one on the tailgate on my Pickup...

my god ! what's wrong with HD ? the auot industry has been keeping the trunks closed on cars for years, why can't HD ? piss poor design is the problem. fire these nitwits and get someone who can design a fix.

My door fell open once, good nothing fell out, bad it was inside the trailer and chamfered the top against the ramp. I have a "new" beveled edge door for sale. I little lube has prevented a second time.

I've had the issue a couple times but only when I had the door locked. :confused: Don't think I would want a warning light necessarily, but certainly would like a latch that holds the door closed. :(

So I've been thinking....

I have the interior trunk lighting kit installed that automatically turns on whenever the trunk is open (a pressure switch by the hinges).

So I bet I can tap in a small wire and run it out the trunk and under the gas tank to the front fairing and then simply use one of those small LED indicators to do the trick.

Then overtime the trunk opens, the interior lights come on *and* a light I can mount in the fairing comes on.

Should work right? The parts are less then $10 on Amazon. Has anyone actually tried this?

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Obsidian
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png