2002 Roadhawk handle bars

Apr 30, 2015
pineville, la
Was wondering if there is any way of widening the handle bars on my Roadhawk. They are not really wide enough. Feel like my hands are too close together. Guess I am used to my motorcycle. I don't think they sell any aftermarket bars for it the way they are made but I would like them to be wider to feel like I have more control especially at higher speeds. I had thought about bending them a little but don't know if that would be a good idea or not. I had a motorcycle one time that one handle bar was bent and the other wasn't but I never bent the other one. Would bending them weaken then? I don't think it would but I don't know. Anybody know or have any suggestions on how to widen them. Thanks

How much wider do you need? Is the current angle of the handgrips OK? My first thought would be to look at extending the ends of the bars by machining a slug to fit inside the tube at the weld area and adding a straight section from another set of handlebars. You can probably keep the ground down weld area hidden under the handgrips. This would add about 3 inches on either side. No re-chroming that way. I'm afraid that if you bent the bars you might crack the chrome. Also consider that if you extend them too much, you might have to add a brace where they turn out to the handgrips because you have more leverage and they might get a little too springy.

I would at least have each bar moved 2 to 3 inches out. At least 2. The angle of the grip is ok. I already have a brace between the bars I made to help keep them from shaking. Roadhawk should have put 1" bars instead of 7/8. That would have helped that problem.
The slugs sound good but I would get into a wiring problem on the left handle bar because the wire is run through the bars. I would have to extend them plus I would have to remove the grip which I don't want to ruin. I think I might could bend the bars a little without ruining the chrome but I would just have to try it and see. I'll dwell on it but thanks for the suggestions.
I think like VW stated; have a couple of slugs machined and extend the ends out how ever far your comfortable with.

If you could come up with a tube bender that handles 7/8 you might be able to bend them out a bit. Trouble is, once you bend the bars it will change the grip angle. You might have to bend them back some to compensate.

Maybe go to a local welding and fab shop and see what they think they could do. Should be able to bend them without removing the bars or wiring I would think.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Semiringeye

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Semiringeye
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png