Honda v Harley

Shmick

Dec 28, 2008
Wisconsin
OK, I know there's going to be trouble but I just have to share. I'm a Goldwing rider. While on vacation in Phoenix, I rented a Harley trike with less than 200 miles on it because I've always dreamt of cruising the desert. Loved the desert, it was in full bloom. The Harley not so much. By comparison, it was much too loud, had a lot of vibration, much harder to steer (no rake), and the ride much stiffer. I missed my highway pegs. Maybe the bike wasn't broken in yet, not sure. It was very well appointed, lots of nice features and looked great, but my right knee was kept quite warm, but not unbearably. I had a blast and really enjoyed the experience but I couldn't help but make comparisons. After my headache went away and the ringing in my ears stopped, I decided I would have to make this post. Made me appreciate the GW more! Commence fire.

Thanks for the comparison! I haven't ridden either one, but I'm hoping to upgrade (if finances ever allow!! :(), and have been trying to decide between the two. It's nice to get a perspective from someone who's ridden both! :yes:

FGN, I know I rag Harleys a lot, but..I really compare them to personal "wants".
I think of Harley more as a sports car type cruiser, with the bike feel, handling and sound. While the Goldwing is the luxury model cruiser, smoother, quieter ride. To each his own. I'll rag the Harley owners later after a few post, because that's the way I am.:)

Your right they are not the same ride. I have a HD and my daughter a GW so I ride both. The GW is smoother and quiter. The footpegs have to be added to either trike. Yes the HD is warmer because it is air cooled not water. And if the HD didn't have a rake kit then it's hard to compare, because either of them need a rake kit to handle correctly. It's to each their own. I like the HD and how it sounds feels etc., but i also like to ride the GW at times.

Thanks for the post.... I have never ridden a Harley 2 or 3 wheels. so hearing some of the difference is nice... I know when we were in Florida at the campground the neighbor came over and thanked me for having a quiet trike, seems the people who just left would rattle his teeth every moring warming up their bikes...:yes:
It all boils down to different storkes for different folks... both are good machines.

And there lies the issue. Some HD riders do not think ablout their noice. If they would just start up without gassing it and slowly depart the sleep area things might be a bit better. I love the sound of my trike but I also try to remember others may not appreciate it at the location I'm at.

OK I know I am going to catch it over this,the harleys the bmw,and yes even the 1800 gold wing are all good bikes,but when it comes to touring nothing beats a 1500 gold wing for over all comfort and ride,two wheel or trike.
:yes::yes::yes:

I must chuckle a bit when people compare "Goldwing" and "Harley". Harleys come in many flavors, from V-Rods, Sporsters, Dynas, Springers and the touring bikes. Goldwings, at least the 1800's are Goldwings. Some have more options, but a GL1800 is a GL1800 is a GL1800. There are HD touring bikes of different styles, and some are close to comparable, but about the only straight accross comparison would be an Ultra and a GL1800. Those are both good, capable touring mounts, but they are very different bikes.

Now the Tri-glide may change this equation, as it is, I believe, they only motorcycle based trike to be built from the frame out to be a trike. From looking it over and riding it on demos, it seems like an Ultra, but it feels different than a late model bike to trike convertion.

When you're running pipes as loud as mine, it's only common courtosy to TRY to keep it down in residential areas. I occasionally rattle the neighbor's windows, but don't make a habit of it -- & IF I do crank it, it's not during "quiet times". So far, I've never had a problem with my pipes which are Thunder Header slip-ons on true duals -- not the loudest set up out there, but loud enough!!

NM

i have no problem occasionally waking the neighborhood, setting off some fancy lexus car alarm or making sure the idiots driving know im there thats why i put straight fishtails no baffles but thats my preference. i also have easy steer on it and it handles fine if i can only keep the damn bearings from going bad but thats not harley thats csc. and in no way would i ever put anyone down for choosing what to ride and the way they like it to look and sound. as long as your out there riding its cool. one thing i do know my passengers have no complaints about the sound and vibration of my harley..lol..just enjoy whatever you ride. be safe

Apples to oranges.......I have owned many Hondas. Previuos bike was a 98 Valk. Have owned a CBR 900, CB750, CB 550, SL 350, SL 125 and an Elsinore 250. Then there where the Yamahas and Suzukis.........though not quite as many.

Before becoming disabled I had ridden Goldwings a number of times, and quickly came to the conclusion that they where for OLD FARTS........:D

OK, just not this old farts cup of tea!

My feeble attempt at payback for bashing my beloved HARLEY......How dare you.........:p

Just kidding, ;) I love all bikes.

It is like riding a motorcycle/trike if you have to ask y we ride you don't get it. Same same Harley , if you have to ask why you ride one you just don't get it and you can''t explain it.

I hate to say this but, in your picture is a 2010 Tri-Glide and yes it is raked. Mine is a 2009 TG and is vary easy to handle with it's factory rake.
Butch

+1, Flame Blue Pearl 2010. I'm surprised it was loud because mine dead stock sounded like a muffled VW. When my dad 1st bought his 09 Triglide he passed me on a 4 lane road and I never heard him go by. Now one of the guys I ride with has a 05 GL1800 and I hear the distinctive honda whine when he passes me. Now sure if its the alternator or what, but it does whine. Vibration, the HD does vibrate more than a GW. It however is much smoother than and quieter than my 06 Ultra which has a Supertrapp supermeg 2.1 exhaust. I was amazed at how smooth the 09 & 10 MY HD's are. I'm also surprised the Triglide was hard to steer because it the rake that a trike kit charges extra for.

Don't want to get anyone "upset" but---

I am riding pretty regular with 8 friends who ALL have Harleys (2 wheel)

The normal turn around is like this---we ride for a good day or two. When we return my Harley freinds spend a day tightning things up and whatever maintenence or repairs that need to be done before their next ride.

I on the other hand, turn off the key, spray off the bugs and wait till they are ready for the next ride.:yes:

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stag man

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stag man
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png