Got dicked by dealer today.

DonC

Jun 26, 2015
Stafford, Va
I had made a pretty good deal and was just about to close, when I got a phone call from the manger of the store who said they sold the damn trike I wanted... Pissed me off. :mad:

So might now go in different direction. Might go to Spyder. Don't know if I can trust Harley anymore:confused:

I'm worn out on looking...

I had made a pretty good deal and was just about to close, when I got a phone call from the manger of the store who said they sold the damn trike I wanted... Pissed me off. :mad:

So might now go in different direction. Might go to Spyder. Don't know if I can trust Harley anymore:confused:

Dude...work it to your advantage. For your disappointment, you should be compensated--with a nice discount on a similar trike. Ask them if they're trying to pull 'bait and switch' by selling your deal out from under you.

It it will get results.

I'll try to be as delicate as Donald Trump... You Snooze you Lose, Unless you have the contract signed and have a VIN# The trike is not yours.. Been there had that happen.. :Shrug:

I got to agree with Rhino. When you reached that figure you were happy with a deposit is a must even if it's only a dollar. I bet that other buyer the dealer sold it too was willing to pay more than you got them down too. A sure sale is better then a possible that they had been dealing with for a while. If you still want the Harley find another deal. They still want to sale their 15 inventory ASAP. Good luck Or this might have been an omen to buy the Spyder.

Have you test drove both Bikes yet??

They have great deals right now on the bikes right now..

I got to agree with Rhino. When you reached that figure you were happy with a deposit is a must even if it's only a dollar. I bet that other buyer the dealer sold it too was willing to pay more than you got them down too. A sure sale is better then a possible that they had been dealing with for a while. If you still want the Harley find another deal. They still want to sale their 15 inventory ASAP. Good luck Or this might have been an omen to buy the Spyder.

I disagree with this. If you have an oral agreement, it's the same thing as putting something down. Of course, maybe Don isn't telling the full story, but it sounded to me like he had reached an agreement, and they yanked it out from under him.

NOW....if this went on for a week and Don wasn't giving them a commitment, shame on Don. He wouldn't have a thing to complain about.

I don't know if any of this would make me want a Spyder though. I'd just find the next closest Harley dealer and get me a TG. They are the way trikes are meant to be, IMHO.

I've been on both sides of the buyer/seller fence and dealers have a constant stream of "casual shoppers" sometimes referred to as "tire kickers" and the only sure way to know if they are serious is if they open their wallet. I agree, we don't know all the facts here but the first one to open their wallet is likely going to be the one going home with the prize. The good thing here is there are more Trikes where that one came from.

If you really want the Harley trike, go back to the dealer and give them the sad story, like I really wanted that trike, love them Harleys, can you make me another deal like that? Or, if you're not completely sold on the Harley, try something else. Go with you gut feeling and don't look back. My opinion, I think you need to look some more, even though you're burned out on the looking. Give it a rest for awhile, then go back and do it again.

Wanting to change brands because you lost a deal tells me you'r not ready to buy! Do not make an impulse buy you will regret later.

Attachments

• VTX done 007.JPG
    VTX done 007.JPG
    204.3 KB · Views: 127
I agree with cavie. You must not be sure yet about the TG. When the deal is right you need to jump on it or someone else will. Don't think I would buy a CamAm. I looked at them before buying a Freewheeler but there is a lot of bad comments on them out there. Biggest issue seems to be all of the electronic control systems they have. Just my opinion.

Keep looking and you will find what you want. Good luck!

Sunman

I agree with Rhino, till you sign on the dotted line to buy it is not your trike. Go back and talk to them and if you want the trike make the deal.

Maybe there were two salesmen working a deal and neither knew about the other. Go back to the dealer and raise hell about it being sold outs from under you. They may cut you a better deal or throw in some extras

If you haven't signed anything and you haven't put anything down, you have no deal. If you signed and put money down, you have a bike. If having a deal fall through is reason enough for you to switch makes, you didn't want the Harley very much in the first place. When I decide I want a bike, there isn't much that can change my mind.

I know what I want make, model, color and that's what I look for. If a deal fell through, I'd look for the same bike elsewhere, and not go shopping for some other make and model. When I find what I want, I sign and pay. I don't mull it over and let the deal age while I ponder it. I already know what I want and what I want to and am able to pay to get it. I walk in the door ready to buy, not ready to maybe buy.

When I bought my trike in June, it took a 3 day period for me to be able to get it. I didn't put down one penny, or sign a thing. I told them we were going camping for 2 days, then after I came back, I was buying.

I even called once while I was in the state park swimming pool to negotiate something else I wanted in the deal. When I arrived 2 days later, my trike was sitting there with a 'sold' tag on it. All paperwork was waiting on me to sign.

What I'm getting at is this--if the dealership knows you are serious, they aren't going to mess with you whether you sign something or put money down.

Maybe my dealer is unique, or I just don't look like a tire kicker. :D

When I bought my trike in June, it took a 3 day period for me to be able to get it. I didn't put down one penny, or sign a thing. I told them we were going camping for 2 days, then after I came back, I was buying.

I even called once while I was in the state park swimming pool to negotiate something else I wanted in the deal. When I arrived 2 days later, my trike was sitting there with a 'sold' tag on it. All paperwork was waiting on me to sign.

What I'm getting at is this--if the dealership knows you are serious, they aren't going to mess with you whether you sign something or put money down.

Maybe my dealer is unique, or I just don't look like a tire kicker. :D

The dealer I used to deal with always worked 1st come 1st serve, 1st person to put down a deposit got the bike or trike, it didn't matter if you were dealing on it or not. Money talked and BS walked. If you didn't have money on it then someone could swoop in and take it. You have a rare dealer, they just haven't been burned by anyone yet. Let them get stung a couple times and they'll adopt the money talks mentality pronto.

Another thought, if you were the dealer and had a customer come in and offer MSRP with no dealing, plus was ready to plunk down the cash. I'll bet you'd take the guy ready to buy the full meal deal at the advertised price. I know a guy who bought a car right out from under another person who was dealing on it at that time. The other guy was in working with a different salesman, he was trying to chisel the price down. The other guy walked in and when told someone else was dealing on the car, told them I'll give you the sticker with no dealing and I'm ready to pay cash. The chiseler walked away with a lesson and a red a$$, the other guy drove the car home.

If you haven't signed anything and you haven't put anything down, you have no deal. If you signed and put money down, you have a bike. If having a deal fall through is reason enough for you to switch makes, you didn't want the Harley very much in the first place. When I decide I want a bike, there isn't much that can change my mind. I know what I want make, model, color and that's what I look for. If a deal fell through, I'd look for the same bike elsewhere, and not go shopping for some other make and model. When I find what I want, I sign and pay. I don't mull it over and let the deal age while I ponder it. I already know what I want and what I want to and am able to pay to get it. I walk in the door ready to buy, not ready to maybe buy.

:Agree: Doesn't sound like the OP even knows what he wants,yet.

The dealer I used to deal with always worked 1st come 1st serve, 1st person to put down a deposit got the bike or trike, it didn't matter if you were dealing on it or not. Money talked and BS walked. If you didn't have money on it then someone could swoop in and take it. You have a rare dealer, they just haven't been burned by anyone yet. Let them get stung a couple times and they'll adopt the money talks mentality pronto.

Another thought, if you were the dealer and had a customer come in and offer MSRP with no dealing, plus was ready to plunk down the cash. I'll bet you'd take the guy ready to buy the full meal deal at the advertised price. I know a guy who bought a car right out from under another person who was dealing on it at that time. The other guy was in working with a different salesman, he was trying to chisel the price down. The other guy walked in and when told someone else was dealing on the car, told them I'll give you the sticker with no dealing and I'm ready to pay cash. The chiseler walked away with a lesson and a red a$$, the other guy drove the car home.

One of the things I haven't mentioned--my dealer is a very large one. I was there the other day for my 1000 mile service. At the time, there were 4 trikes on the floor. Not to mention at least 8 CVO rides of different types. When you've got a large inventory like they do, that's probably going to make the difference.

So in this case--size might matter. ;)

- - - Updated - - -

The Old saying is ..... You Snooze you Loose :Shrug:
Or 'You snost, you lost.' :D

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PERuss

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PERuss
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png