trailer tires

Sep 5, 2012
Urbandale
I have cyclemate 1000 trailer. Just traveled 1000 miles back from Sturgis and tires were bald. 4.80x8 new tires. Was traveling 75-80mph. I hear I was lucky not to have blown tire. Only supposed to 65. I saw probably 100 bikers pulling trailers, did not notice tires.

What does everyone else do, only 65 or are there tires like 5.30x12 that can go faster ?

Need help before next trip.
thanx
ljs

I run a set of Carlisle the same size you have. Put them on before a 5100 plus mile trip this summer and had no issues with 80 plus mph and they still look real good as far as tread.

I have a timeout trailer with 4.80 x12 tires on it and have over 15, 000 miles on them and travel any where up to 80 mph. But I have a friend that has had the same problem as you he could wear out a set of tires in 800 miles running the same route and speed as I was his tires were 4.80 x12. He finally sold the trailer because got sick of putting on tires twice on 1 vacation. we check alinement and everthing we could think of on his

I have cyclemate 1000 trailer. Just traveled 1000 miles back from Sturgis and tires were bald. 4.80x8 new tires. Was traveling 75-80mph. I hear I was lucky not to have blown tire. Only supposed to 65. I saw probably 100 bikers pulling trailers, did not notice tires.

What does everyone else do, only 65 or are there tires like 5.30x12 that can go faster ?

Need help before next trip.
thanx
ljs

I'm assuming this trailer is new to you? I suspect you have a bad axle that either has to much toe-in or toe-out. Possibly your wheels are both warped, but I would check the axle first. I had a Harbor Freight trailer with the same size wheels and tires and pulled it 4-5 thousand miles before I sold it without any real tire wear issues.

How fast were you pulling trailer with the 4.80x8 tires ??

Steady speeds probably 65-70 mph for 100 miles at a time with the occasional slow down and the occasional run up to 80 or so. Just the way one would normally ride. We normally take 1 trip a year that is 4000 - 5000 miles and those wheels and tires handled that trip ok. I just had the chance to buy a better trailer and jumped on it or I might still have that one. I sold it to a local guy and he is still using it, but I don't know if he has changed the tires due to age or not. I always believed the speed limit stamped on them was lawyer stuff. If you research "trailer tires" you will find that even the tires for campers, utility trailers and such are only speed tested up to 65 mph.

Pressure makes a big difference in tire wear. What were you running for tire pressure, and what pressure did the trailer company recommend?
Also, over load your trailer and your tires will wear out sooner, what is your trailer Gross weight?
Rosy

Did you notice the load range on the tires?
B..60psi
C..90psi
How did the tires looked like after they were bald, outside inside wear, or inside outside wear?
My trailer is 200lbs. Capacity, and they said 25psi, big difference from 90psi.
Rosy

That's way, way too much air pressure. That's MAXIMUM pressure printed on tire. I've got a Cycle Mate 2000 and run 25lbs with no problems. Like previous post suggested, check alignment on torsion suspension, lower air pressure and buy tires from Caryle. They have the only 8" tires made in America. I also h ave a Leesure Lite camper that weighs 300 lbs, fully loaded and has 8" tires and I also run 25lbs pressure with no problems.

I was running 18 PSI in mine with about the same load. I'm surprised that 90 didn't blow them off the rims. Check your suspension alignment and drop the air pressure down to the mid 20's as suggested above.

Msrvpeig, I wonder if tire pressure varies from one tire and trailer manufacturer to another because our Legacy trailer came with 90 psi in the tires and the accompanying paper work calls for 90 pounds also. Gotta admit, that seems kinda high to me for 200 pounds carrying capacity. But I've learned my lesson many, many years ago about second guessing manufacturers recommendations.

Phu Cat

That's way, way too much air pressure. That's MAXIMUM pressure printed on tire. I've got a Cycle Mate 2000 and run 25lbs with no problems. Like previous post suggested, check alignment on torsion suspension, lower air pressure and buy tires from Caryle. They have the only 8" tires made in America. I also h ave a Leesure Lite camper that weighs 300 lbs, fully loaded and has 8" tires and I also run 25lbs pressure with no problems.

I bought Carlisles because I thought they were made in the U.S. Myself. Unfortunately they have made in China right on the sidewalls. Wasn't pleased!

I had a homemade HF and used the Chinese tires it came with. Put on approximately 8-9,000 miles with 6,000 during a trip from South Florida out as far as Las Vegas in 118degree temperature and had hardly any wear when I sold it. I also ran with the low pressure advised on this board. Not sure how much but I did the wet tire test after loading it up.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Poorhouse

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Poorhouse
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png