Information on winching a TG on a trailer.

Rogue1

400+ Posts
I am considering mounting a winch on my trailer SHOULD something happen and I need to put my TG on my trailer IF it won't run. (and for other items). I doubt like hell I can push it up the ramp, even with help. After looking closely at the bike, it looks like the best place to put straps would be at the bottom of the crash bars right below the radiators where the bars clamp to the frame. Less chance of flexing the bars in that location. Anyone had experience with winching their TG?

Pull it up backwards maybe using the links underneath for tying it down.

Or maybe the bumper if you have one.

Just a thought

Bob

I am considering mounting a winch on my trailer SHOULD something happen and I need to put my TG on my trailer IF it won't run. (and for other items). I doubt like hell I can push it up the ramp, even with help. After looking closely at the bike, it looks like the best place to put straps would be at the bottom of the crash bars right below the radiators where the bars clamp to the frame. Less chance of flexing the bars in that location. Anyone had experience with winching their TG?

You may be surprised to learn that pushing a TriGlide is a lot easier than pushing a two-wheeler.

What type of trailer do you have? I think my bike is a bit heavier than yours - and, I have pushed mine onto a trailer.

Pull it up backwards maybe using the links underneath for tying it down.

Or maybe the bumper if you have one.

Just a thought

Bob

If I didn't have a condor chalk mounted in the front of the trailer, maybe. But not with the bumper.

- - - Updated - - -

You may be surprised to learn that pushing a TriGlide is a lot easier than pushing a two-wheeler.

What type of trailer do you have? I think my bike is a bit heavier than yours - and, I have pushed mine onto a trailer.

10x6 1/2 trailer with 4 ft gate on the back. 15-in tires. I tried pushing it up before. Not going to happen.

Like hardheaded mentions, soft straps around the lower fork tubes, right above the fender mounts, then to a U loop to the winch.

If you do not have ABS, then the same as able, but put the soft straps around the front axle, between the wheel and the lower fork tubes.

If you have ABS I would not do that, because there is a wire coming out on the left side.

You may be ok at the bottom of the engine guard, but I would monitor that carefully, it is not as strong as one would think there.

Kevin

I would think soft ties around the lower sliders right above the front fender mounts would work just fine. I wouldn't hang the bike from there but for just winching it up onto to a trailer it should work fine.

It looks like soft ties around the lower sliders just above the fender mounts would be the way to go. The ABS wire and brake line on the left side would not interfere with the soft ties around the slider. Thanks everyone for all the help. Now to engineer some brackets to mount the winch.

I have a Aluma TK-1 Trailer and I have mounted a small (2500 lb) winch on it . The winch I have I got from some guy that had bought it for his dad to mount on the front of his 4 wheeler but they did not read the instruction on how to mount it and cross threaded one mounting bolt and used the wrong bolt in another hole and snapped it off because it was too long. Got it real cheap. repaired it and made a mount using 1/4 inch steel plate top and bottom and 1 and 1/4" X 3/16" Square tubing cut at 45 degrees sloping forward. I use 2 18 inch sof-tyes chocking the lower sliders just above the fender mounts and a two foot lifting strap looped thru the soft tyes and pull my trike on the trailer, It's much better if you have a wireless remote for your winch because if you are not on flat ground your trike will try to roll to the low side. You also want to mount as large as possible a metal plate sandwiching your trailer floor to spread the load of the winch.

I have a Aluma TK-1 Trailer and I have mounted a small (2500 lb) winch on it . The winch I have I got from some guy that had bought it for his dad to mount on the front of his 4 wheeler but they did not read the instruction on how to mount it and cross threaded one mounting bolt and used the wrong bolt in another hole and snapped it off because it was too long. Got it real cheap. repaired it and made a mount using 1/4 inch steel plate top and bottom and 1 and 1/4" X 3/16" Square tubing cut at 45 degrees sloping forward. I use 2 18 inch sof-tyes chocking the lower sliders just above the fender mounts and a two foot lifting strap looped thru the soft tyes and pull my trike on the trailer, It's much better if you have a wireless remote for your winch because if you are not on flat ground your trike will try to roll to the low side. You also want to mount as large as possible a metal plate sandwiching your trailer floor to spread the load of the winch.

Did you use a stand alone battery for that?

No. I have a disconnect on the winch and a set of cables that I can run to the battery of my tow vehicle. If yo have a 7 wire connector on your trailer you could probably hookup to the center conductor/power lead to the trailer for power for the winch.

In November I asked about winching a TG onto a trailer. I finally got around to installing one on my Karftsman 6.5x10 trailer. The project came out pretty well.

20240104_110758.jpg20240104_103420.jpg20240104_095212.jpg20240104_110458.jpg

Looks like you did a great job really looks good and functional

I can't take credit for the welding. The folks at Kivetts Welding in Liberty did an outstanding job. All I did was engineer it, paint it and mount the winch.

Back