Shimmy and Shake

Reaction score
I have one of the first motortrike conversions, a 1995. All has been great up until last year when I went to a different front tire. I installed the tire at my brother's house in Pennsylvania, and when I headed home, I noticed that the bike (around 60+ mph) would shimmy from side to side. The faster I would go, the more noticable it woulde be. When I got home in Ohio, (300 miles) I checked the front tire and found it to be a bias tire, instead of a radial like the backs are. This year, I readjusted all of my air pressures, tires and shocks, and while puting more air in the rear shocks seemed to help some, it didn't eliminate the problem totally. I went on a group ride yesterday and although I didn't feel the shimmying, a fellow behind me asked why my trike shakes from side to side.
Has anyone else had a similar problem. After spending $185 on a tire, I hate to have to change it out again. I've checked the framework for breaks, and all appeared to be ok.
Any help would be greatly appreciated, and thank you in advance.

I have a '98 Valk with one of MT's earlier conversions, SA, 4-bolt wheels. I run bias-ply on the front, with Ride-On as a balancer. I've not had any shake from the tires.

What shake I did have was from the drive shaft. Twice. First time, I had twisted the shaft by showing off, second was a bad front u-joint. This last time, I installed the beefier, new drive shaft that MT makes for these conversions, and it rides smooth again.

For your riding buds to notice the shake from the rear, I'd really advise you to check the drive line.

Good luck!

Dennis

I have a '98 Valk with one of MT's earlier conversions, SA, 4-bolt wheels. I run bias-ply on the front, with Ride-On as a balancer. I've not had any shake from the tires.

What shake I did have was from the drive shaft. Twice. First time, I had twisted the shaft by showing off, second was a bad front u-joint. This last time, I installed the beefier, new drive shaft that MT makes for these conversions, and it rides smooth again.

For your riding buds to notice the shake from the rear, I'd really advise you to check the drive line.

Good luck!

Dennis

if i read your statement correctly. did you install the new style drive shaft on the valk.
mine has the original shaft and the front joint is already very close to the front heim joint.
if you did indeed install the new style shaft did you have any problems with clearance ?

- - - Updated - - -

I have one of the first motortrike conversions, a 1995. All has been great up until last year when I went to a different front tire. I installed the tire at my brother's house in Pennsylvania, and when I headed home, I noticed that the bike (around 60+ mph) would shimmy from side to side. The faster I would go, the more noticable it woulde be. When I got home in Ohio, (300 miles) I checked the front tire and found it to be a bias tire, instead of a radial like the backs are. This year, I readjusted all of my air pressures, tires and shocks, and while puting more air in the rear shocks seemed to help some, it didn't eliminate the problem totally. I went on a group ride yesterday and although I didn't feel the shimmying, a fellow behind me asked why my trike shakes from side to side.
Has anyone else had a similar problem. After spending $185 on a tire, I hate to have to change it out again. I've checked the framework for breaks, and all appeared to be ok.

as far as your shimmy and shaking. crawl under the rear of that trike kit and check for loose jamb nuts on all heim joints.
also the bolts holding the heims to the rear end will do several things to contribute to your problem.
#1 the bolts will get loose it does,nt take much
#2 the bolts will wear where they go threw the rear causing them to have play, if thats the case no amount of tightening is gonna cure that other than to replace the bolts.
#3 the bolts will bend slightly allowing them to wiggle around.
check those bolts.
iv'e already had to replace all 4 that tie the heims to the rear.

if i read your statement correctly. did you install the new style drive shaft on the valk.
mine has the original shaft and the front joint is already very close to the front heim joint.
if you did indeed install the new style shaft did you have any problems with clearance ?

I installed the new design shaft, with the green front u-joint. The collar on the new u-joint is near twice as long as the Honda factory joint. Plus, it has grease zerks so it doesn't have to be removed for servicing.

I had no clearance problems, I don't really remember looking. I installed it, spun it around and greased the fittings, and took it for a ride. All's good so far.

A friend of mine recently bought a used solid axle GL 1800 Motor Trile that shook so bad it was all over the road. Turned out it suffered from all of the ills 4W-linerider seeks of. We got him fixed up and th trike rides nearly as smooth as mine....

Question:
Did you balance the front tire ?:Shrug:

My first trike, '93 Goldwing with Motor Trike solid axle had a case of the shimmies. It was a drive shaft issue. Twisted but still worked. New drive shaft, at the time still the old style. Problem solved.

I installed the new design shaft, with the green front u-joint. The collar on the new u-joint is near twice as long as the Honda factory joint. Plus, it has grease zerks so it doesn't have to be removed for servicing.

I had no clearance problems, I don't really remember looking. I installed it, spun it around and greased the fittings, and took it for a ride. All's good so far.

sweet. gonna order 1 this week then. thanks.

Fuzzy, Balancing is good. I got under the trike today after a 2 hour ride and noticed there was oil leaking from the axle. Looks like I have a bearing seal going out. I'm going to have them changed out and see if that solves the problem. With the bike on it's center stand and grabbing the tire from side to side and top to bottom wiggling it, I can hear a slight noise. I know I have to get that fixed (both sides) and after that, I'll check the heims nuts and drive shaft.
Thanks for the input.

- - - Updated - - -

I have a '98 Valk with one of MT's earlier conversions, SA, 4-bolt wheels. I run bias-ply on the front, with Ride-On as a balancer. I've not had any shake from the tires. What shake I did have was from the drive shaft. Twice. First time, I had twisted the shaft by showing off, second was a bad front u-joint. This last time, I installed the beefier, new drive shaft that MT makes for these conversions, and it rides smooth again. For your riding buds to notice the shake from the rear, I'd really advise you to check the drive line. Good luck! Dennis
Thanks for the suggestion.

- - - Updated - - -

Question:
Did you balance the front tire ?:Shrug:
Lee, I balanced the front with 2 ounces of beads. Thanks for the input.

- - - Updated - - -

I got under the trike today after a 2 hour ride and noticed there was oil leaking from the axle. Looks like I have a bearing seal going out. I'm going to have them changed out and see if that solves the problem. With the bike on it's center stand and grabbing the tire from side to side and top to bottom wiggling it, I can hear a slight noise, (clicking).
Although that might not be the problem of the shimmying, I know that the bearings have to be replaced. I'll start with that and get back with you all. I'll also check the heims and see if the nuts are tight. If so, I might have to go with a different shaft. Thank you all for your assistance, because it has given me some great places to start.
Terry

Your prob sounds a lot like mine. I have also developed a side to side wiggle. It started last summer. I also replaced all 3 tires, michelin radials on the rear and a bridgestone bt-45 bias on the front and the wiggle went away for the most part and this summer it has started again. I also have repacked and torqued the steering head bearings, changed the fork oil, rebalanced the tires, replaced the 2 front hiems on the ladder bars. I always run 22psi in the rear tires. on a recent ride with my buddy he told me he could see the wiggle and the only thing he saw was the sidewalls flexing so i increased the pressure to 32 psi and it has helped the shake a great deal, dont think it fixed it just kinda hid it for a time, but it rides like a wagon with that much air. Sorry this post got so long but if you ever find a fix please let me know and i will do the same, been chasing my tail on this for a while.

I had the rear wheel bearings and seals replaced. Then
I had the steering head tightened last fall at a local dealership. I didn't get a chance to get above 60 to see if that solved the problem, although it wasn't noticeable at 60. That was the last time I rode it. Two weeks ago, I called MT to get a new set of rear shocks (which were replaced 4 years ago) and they don't sell them anymore. He suggested calling Progressive, which I did, and he won't sell me a set. Is there a replacement shock, (doesn't have to be air) that I can use that will be comparable to the Progressive?
Also, Now that it is getting warmer I'll crawl under it again and just replace the hiem bolts. Thanks to everyone for your suggestions. Sorry it took me so long to respond.

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wheeza
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png