Something Loose?

Craigatcsi

Dec 14, 2013
Omaha
I have an 07 Yamaha Venture / Hannigan Trike with approx. 5k since the conversion.

It has developed a 'rattle' when on rough roads. It sounds like if I were to not latch down the trunk lid. But, the lid is latched. I have grabbed the trunk and tried to shake it to see if it is loose, it seems nice and tight. The guy that did my conversion told me that he used no lock-tight when doing the conversion. So, it could be any bolts I'm guessing.

I am going to jack it up this morning and start checking bolts. Do any of know where to start?

Have any of you had this happen to you?

craigr

The guy that did my conversion told me that he used no lock-tight when doing the conversion. So, it could be any bolts I'm guessing.

I've never done a conversion, or rode one for that matter (well test rides on a GW) but lock tite is a motorcycle riders friend ... at least Harley riders. My guess is you're right ... could be any of the bolts ... get a manual and check torque till you find the "loose end" ... Sorry couldn't be more helpful.

Check the brackets holding/bracing the fiberglass fenders. I had a bolt come loose on mine and it created a rattle under those conditions. It was a simple matter to replace, did it myself and I am in no way a mechanic :laugh:. Mine was on the starboard side front of the tire.

Thanks folks. I think I am going to have to put her in the air and just tighten.

as far as the Locktite, I know not to use the BLUE, but somewhere on the Ventureriders Forum they said a different color is safe. - Now to find that post that tells me which color is the safe one.

One other small thing to check. Not sure if it's a problem on the Venture but, onb the Road Star sometimes you get a rattle in the headlight. Most times this the wiring bouncing around in the headlight bucket. May or may not be your noise but, a quick simple thing to check.

Well, we just returned from at trip to and from Yellowstone, via Sturgis, etc....

Other than losing a screw on the Left side cover, the Trike ran great!! Whatever is loose hasn't fallen off yet. But, I have a few days before I have to go back to work, so I will find it.

Mileage was as bad as 15 mpg, when pushing 80 - 85 mph, and as good as 32 mpg in the Mountains. I would say we averaged 20 - 25 mpg during most fill ups.

The only rain we had the entire trip was a downpour prolly 15 miles from home for 2 or 3 miles. - Yes I thanked God each day for the wonderful weather and safe travels.

The only 'issues' during the entire trip was a barking dog in the room next to us. He was left alone in the room until midnight and barked and howled all evening. I called the front desk, but they could do nothing because the dog was alone. So, I fumed most of the night and only got 4 hours of sleep. So, around 7:00a, I knocked on the Hookers door. - 'Oh, did I wake you? Good!' I went off on her. She of course said 'Sorry'. Within an hour both hookers came out and started arguing with their heads going side to side, their hands in the air and talking a bastardized version of English. (Definately not Professor material). The exchange ended up being entertaining from my point of view and I have smiled about it all day. :)

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Markh853

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Markh853
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png