V.I.N. Numbers

Aug 21, 2015
tucson
Hi fellas,

I live in Az and am wondering about VIN numbers, Has anyone had any experience with 12 digit Vs. 17 digit vin numbers and is it worth paying the extra for the full 17 digit vin ?

If you don't have any direct experience with this subject, please do not reply.

Thanks

I live in New Mexico and also have a 8 digit VIN on my homebuilt vw trike. What sort of information do you need?

thanks for the reply run,

well I went down and asked my MVD inspection agent what kind of title I would get if I brought down a home made trike, they told me I would get a home-built title with a 7 digit vin number. they also said that I can only get one home built title in my lifetime and I could not sell the trike for 5 years.

I then went to my insurance agent and asked if getting minim insurance was going to be a problem, they said its harder and more expensive if you have a 7 digit vin number compared to a 17 digit number

I then started looking into getting a full 17 digit vin number, to do this it cost about 1000 bucks and I would get a vehicle manufacturing license and a full 17 digit vin number.

My insurance man said no problem, and I can sell the trike any time I want.

My question is this, if I get the 17 digit vin, will I have to bring the VW motor up to current emission standards ?, cats, air pumps, fuel injection ?

I have min insurance from progressive with no problem. I can sell the trike anytime I want. As to updating the engine, I understand the emission stuff pertains to the year of the engines manufacturing date. So if your engine was manufactured in say 1970 than whatever was required in 1970 would be relevant. If I'm wrong please someone set me straight. Hope this helps.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Semiringeye

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Semiringeye
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png