MotorTrike air ride suspension

What happens if you run with no air? Are shock springs the only suspension left if air bags are not used?

Hey Jim. Long time, no see. Hope you guys are doing well.

The air bags are just ride suspension which assists the adjustable coil-over shocks. Riding two up and hit a bump could bottom out your trike but I don't think there is a danger if your air is gone. There will be a cornering difference though.

When R&R did your conversion did they install the factory air pump? I'm sure they did and it's unlikely the bags are leaking. More than likely it is a leak at a connection point somewhere.

If you want, bring it over here and we'll put it up on the lift and check where the leak is.

Good afternoon Kraut. Hope you are well and didn't get that cold that has been going around.

Hello Wiz,

Yes I have on board compressor, Tried pumping up to 90 lbs yesterday for a few hours and then lowered to 30lbs and it has held overnight. Perhaps the extra pressure theory actually works?

It's true what they say... the air hose connections can get lazy. By bringing up the pressure they will seal themselves. This worked on my MT conversion but not completely. I would lose about 10 lbs a week.

I did find a small leak on the air pump and on the left side bag connection. After repairing that it still leaked down.

Inherent to Motor Trike air ride systems? Maybe. Mine leaked from day one until I sold it and went TG.

Now I get it. For a moment I was thinking of Tourglide. Thought of doing the same thing but have too much money tied up in Screaming Eagle Ultra plus triking kit. Will have to ride it out but still love it.

Now I get it. For a moment I was thinking of Tourglide. Thought of doing the same thing but have too much money tied up in Screaming Eagle Ultra plus triking kit. Will have to ride it out but still love it.

Don't blame you one bit. Yours is the most beautiful conversion Harley I've ever seen.

I had the bags replaced by the installer on my first trike, a '93 1500 Motor Trike back in '05. It cost around $325 back then.

I have had a little bit of experience with air equipped vehicles. As for going with copper lines to your air shocks, I would not connect the copper line directly to the air shock but use a piece of soft line between the copper and shock. Again that defeats the use of copper lines directly to seal for any leaks. If you have a trike that has a lot of vibrations the copper line will eventually break leaving you in a serious stranded position. It will also kink leaving no air going to your shocks should they lose pressure or will make one shock not inflate or not properly inflate to desired position.

You can buy those air shocks from Air Ride Corporation who Manufacture those shocks. Google the company name and have a look around their site and you will get a phone number and can call them and pick their brains about the bags.

Also Goodyear Air products also have I believe those bags. Again Google and call them and see what they have. I hope this helps out.

Resurrecting this thread again......

Seems my MT air suspension after taking the setup apart this winter to do 60k maintenance and a few upgrades I had the bad air leak after re-assembly. After replacing all the air lines and most of the fittings, including adding a second one way check valve, a new air gauge I found I had one of the MT air bags leaking at the top of the bag above the clamp seal

I replaced both air bags with Firestone air bags ( http://www.truckshop.com/product.php?productid=22175) ( http://i993.photobucket.com/albums/af55/fltr2008trike/Bike pics/0409151858a_zpsvg5bo4ok.jpg ) re-check the entire system for any leaks using soapy spray on all joints finding no bubbles. I still have a slow air leak in the system. I have tried the 90 lb pump up and still it leaks very slowly.

I am convinced that the air leaks through the air gauge. New or older, its a hit or miss

I believe your air leak is through your air compressor if all lines are tight. Put a one way valve just between the air compressor and to your air shocks. This valve allows air to go to air shocks/tank but does not allow air to come back into the compressor. I had to install one on my air compressor for another project and it cured the problem.

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stag man
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png