Champion noise

Sep 1, 2015
Menasha
I have a 2010 Kawasaki Voyager that I triked with a Champion kit and a noise on acceleration has developed. There is some play in the axles when I move the belt pulley by hand. any help or ideas will be appreciated.

dan
:(

Has the noise developed over time, or after the trike was washed ? Is the belt tracking properly or in need of adjustment ? Might be an un-related to belt noise vibration ?

noise

Has the noise developed over time, or after the trike was washed ? Is the belt tracking properly or in need of adjustment ? Might be an un-related to belt noise vibration ?
The noise developed over time and it is getting worse.
The belt is tracking properly.
can you reach under the seat area and pull the large pulley back and forth inline with the belt and tell me if you can move the pulley and axles at all I can move mine about .05 inches back and forth.
thanks
Dan

I have a 2010 Kawasaki Voyager that I triked with a Champion kit and a noise on acceleration has developed. There is some play in the axles when I move the belt pulley by hand. any help or ideas will be appreciated.

dan

:(

If this were an old Harley I would suggest checking the top engine mount bracket. It wouldn't hurt checking yours anyway as I don't know how yours is set up?

My old Harley as with any converted bike was never intended to be a trike. take off and acceleration will cause the engine to try to twist in the frame, ( especially with a rubber mounted engine.) so my old scoot required a beefed up top engine mounting bracket.

(champion provided it with the kit I bought.)

It comes with epoxy to mount the brackets to the main frame using your current brackets, I welded mine, The stiffener is much heavier

top mounting bracket and adjustable stiffener

e-4-unfinishedweld_zps9f63a3e5.jpg

Check for missing bolts and check the torque from time to time, Lock tight is a premier idea.

The newer Harleys already had a heavier mounting bracket and didn't need a different one.

One of the sure signs is having a horn honk for no good reason, and noise and vibration. believe me it's not the horn, It's the bracket?

Keep riding that way and the problem will become very obvious in a hell of a hurry.

Every winter I lift the shell off and check the torque on all the bolts, check the swing arm bushings etc. Check belt alignment and tension. Its not that difficult and anyone with a basic mechanical knowledge can do it!

It's a fairly easy easy morning or afternoon pastime, I have to unbolt and unplug my travel trunk also, no biggy!

Most people scare themselves out of trying and are ashamed of it once they see how simple it is.

If you don't have the factory installation manual it can be downloaded off Champion website.

It will give you the info you need as to adjustments and torque values.

Believe me, There are so many times I have been working on someone else's bike and found that the last guy working on it paid no attention to torque values and that in itself was the direct lead to the problems the rider was experiencing.

I have seen entire trike frames twist and rip bolts out of drive line housings and put a person in the ditch.

I have seen axles twist out of alignment because someone didn't bother to follow instructions.

The difference between a good trike and a bad trike depends entirely the integrity of the person building or working on it!

Check the forum and find my post on " Not just tough, Champion Tough"

Checking belt tension

d-7-checkingforbeltplay-oneandahalfinchplay_zps58475571.jpg

checking axle alignment

d-8-usingadialcalipertoadjustalighnmentonaxleanddrivepulleys_zpsfd2f8067 (600 x 548) (2).jpg

Six bolts and unplugging a few wires take the body with no real sweat if you have someone to assist you.

A jack and jack stands and your in business.

more champion conversion pics: pcombe library/photobucket

P.s. Im not clear on whether of not its belt drive but it sounded that way?

You would be surprised at what a rock in the belt will sound like?

Very noticeable at certain times like acceleration and not so noticeable other times?:Shrug:

P.s. Im not clear on whether of not its belt drive but it sounded that way?

You would be surprised at what a rock in the belt will sound like?

Very noticeable at certain times like acceleration and not so noticeable other times?:Shrug:

Mine was making a whining sound when I backed off the throttle. I took the plastic block out of the cover that is on the drive pulley. Thanks Tom

Graybeard

Are you saying that you can move the axle and drive pulley for and aft .050 (fifty thousands) or 1/2 inch. .050 is kind of hard to see with the naked eye. I sounds like maybe some of the attachment bolts are loose and the adjusting bolt or the left side is loose. I will check mine tomorrow after my dr. visit.

Graybeard

Are you saying that you can move the axle and drive pulley for and aft .050 (fifty thousands) or 1/2 inch. .050 is kind of hard to see with the naked eye. I sounds like maybe some of the attachment bolts are loose and the adjusting bolt or the left side is loose. I will check mine tomorrow after my dr. visit.

this would not be a posi-trac rear end so you should get some back and forth movement in it. you have independent gearing kinda like a car rear end so that one wheel can turn faster than the other. one wheel can rotate at a time.

Check your brake pads etc. to see if the noise is coming from the calipers, rotor or brake disc? These are Volkswagen brakes on your champion.

Jack it up and turn one wheel at a time to see if you can hear anything?

Wiggle each wheel around and make sure you have 100 lbs. torque on your lug nuts?

Is there side to side slop wich may suggest bad swing arm bushings?

How does it corner, if the bushings are bad enough it will affect turns, acceleration may cause the necessary twist that affects belt pulley alignment.

Look at the axle and make sure you don't have a leaky wheel seal?

If it's belt drive it will be grease filled, I understand shaft drives may have an oil filled system?

(Honda guys have told me this?)

I already mentioned rocks

Check your suspension and shocks.

There just isn't all that much to go wrong.

Champion is one of the simplest most straight forward kits on the market and they are tougher than hell, but not indestructible.

:Coffee:If your tired of me talking to you, you can tell me to shut up and I will.:gah:

One other thing you can do is go to the top of the posting page and use the advanced search feature.

Type in a simple question and you can access everything any body has ever posted on the subject.:cool:

The noise developed over time and it is getting worse.
The belt is tracking properly.
can you reach under the seat area and pull the large pulley back and forth inline with the belt and tell me if you can move the pulley and axles at all I can move mine about .05 inches back and forth.
thanks
Dan

Is the belt loose ? Is the pulley loose ? You should some back and forth movement in the belt. .5 inches does not sound excessive.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CedarRonin

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CedarRonin
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png