Champion irs banging noise on bumps

diferg

1+ Posts
Apr 30, 2024
St Marys, Georgia, USA
Recently purchased a 2004 GL 1800 champion trike with IRS. the rear suspension made alarming noises on rough roads while turning. I discovered a very bad Right hand shock absorber and replaced both shocks. The ride is noticeably better but I get a lot of "metallic bangs" when going over sharp bumps or railroad tracks. I suspect the connecting arms on the anti-sway bar. I will not be able to investigate this for a couple of weeks. Anyone have any experience with this type of issue? Thanks in advance. Dan

I was riding behind the trike Mike spoke of on the ride when we found the problem. I agree with him completely. The mounting plates attaching the swaybar to the frame had broke allowing the bar to just lay on the exhaust.

Thanks you all for quick replys . I will definitely reinspect the antisway bar. I had replaced the rear shocks this week and didn't see the bar lying on the exhaust, but I will check further in about two weeks. the sound i am hearing is a sharp sound similar to a hammer tap whenever the body position changes in relation to the wheels. I really suspect something with the anti-sway bar. Maybe one of the mounting brackets is broken? That would be an easy fix! With a 20 year old trike there are going to be issues. :Coffee:

Rode about 100 miles round trip last Wednesday. Got caught in the rain, popping sounds are much less than before. suspect possible corrosion between outer and inner rod and housing of anti roll bar or bad bushings in bar. will have to find time to investigate fully.

I would be careful with that. If you haven't done so, you need to remove the trike body and do a thorough inspection of the sway bar mounting plate, the sway bars, heim joints, etc.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Drew73

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Drew73
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png