voyager trike issue...Drive wheel problem

baba67

Sep 13, 2015
Falmouth, CapeCod,MA.
Well I finally had a chance to install the voyager kit yesterday.

And I took it out on a test run before leaving on a trip this coming week and we will be towing a trailer.

I seem to have a real problem with the rear wheel looseing traction, And a trailer may really cause traction issues.

Any gravel, stone, dips in the road. etc. seems to be a real problem.

At times I had to push the bike to get enough traction to move.

I assume it is a pre-load issue?

I set the preload at 1/2 inch as suggested for Goldwing GL1500.

The voyager suspension wheels do not move independently over uneven surfaces.

In their videos. it actually shows a trike riding with one wheel over a curb.

My kit does not have that flex in the rear wheels.

How do I allow more independent movement and still allow the MC drive tire to stay in contact with the road surface?

I really would appreciate and info you can suggest to resolve this issue.

Just a thought. When you adjusted the pre-load did you re-torque the flat bar under the rear cross member?? It just seems from what you're describing you have way too much pre-load. Are you sure you only have 1/2"?? It sort of a trade off. The more pre-load the less traction and visa versa....

Most problems I have heard about relate to incorrect pre-load and initial installation. I haven't experienced any of the problems you relate to and I have put close to 5K miles on my Voyager since I got it. Many of those miles were pulling a trailer and I didn't even know it was back there. Guess I am lucky to have my installation done by a local dealer who has done numerous set-ups over the years.....ThumbUp

Had mine installed at dealer. They set air pressure at 63 lbs and used 1/2" spacer under drive wheel. No traction problems. Mine is also a 1500. I have played with the pressures some, if you let to much out it rides like crap. If you go 2 up you might have to increase a little.

My voyager experience so far.

Well I have been riding on the voyager kit for about 800 miles, Two up, And I think I have most of my problems taken care of.
First I had to set my preload, riding two up I have found that one and a half inches of preload works best for me....(section of 2x4 flat under rear wheel)
Rear tire at factory rec. press.
Voyager tires at 18 lbs.
Gl1500 rear susp. set at 75.
I am still dealing with my leaf springs coming into contact with my mufflers on hard bumps, And of course the arm/bushing rattles on uneven roads.
But, overall I am beginning to enjoy the out rigger advantages,...Stable stops on uneven ground, etc.
My next step will be installation of a darkside rear tire, and modification to the leaf springs and mufflers.
For the investment, I think this will work out well.

Note,
I also found pulling a trailer makes the voyager even MORE stable and improves the overall ride quality.:pepper::clapping:

Mine had some rattle from the rear fork and bushings, I bought some thin nylon washers from hardware store cut them to fit the bearing or bushing whatever you call it. Put one on each side of the fork, seemed to help the rattle. Other than that the bit of bouncing is the only thing that kind of bothers me, something you have to get use to.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PoolmanJC

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PoolmanJC
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png